Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering if Ford made any 86 Mustang GT with factory produced T-tops or if they are done aftermarket?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Both, actually.

The T-roof option was availble in the '77 and '78 model years, and the '81 through (early) '88 model years. Ford did not do the conversions themselves though. Cars were sent to a company called 'Cars and Concepts' for the conversion, and then sent back to Ford for their own water leak testing. At the same time Cars and Concepts also did aftermarket conversions, as well as other companies using Cars and Concepts' conversion kits.

The difference between a "factory" conversion and an aftermarket converision is easy to distinguish. If the Vehicle Certification Label ("door sticker") had a "D" under the "S" (sunroof) column AND the Body/Buck Tag (small metal tag attached to the radiator support frame, behind the driver side headlamps) has a "TR" (T-roof) stamped to the first line, it is a factory conversion. If there is no D/TR it is an aftermarket or owner conversion.

Cars and Concepts did convertible conversions for Ford too, through the '93 model year. Ford did their own in-house convertible conversion starting with the '94 model year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for that great information. I am possibly buying a 86 GT w/ T-tops and was just curious as to whether it was "factory" or not. It's just the chassis, no motor or tranny but that's what my car is for. Mine's rusty as all h***, but the engine and tranny are in great shape.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
When I saw the question, I knew Fox would have the answer.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I saw an 86 gt with a t-top but it was in a Mustang salvage yard where they break em down and sell the parts I wanted to buy it whole but he told me the can't sell the whole car because it's illegal .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.