Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my new-to-me 2006 Mustang GT (Windviel blue and with auto tranny) about a week and a half ago - (if you want to see my original introduction post here on the forum:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/introductions/173273-new-member-2006-mustang-gt.html

I'm thinking of getting a Steeda CAI and SCT X3 tuner combo from Tillman Speed later this year (around October maybe), but when I bought the car I bought the extended factory warranty that will extend it out till 2012. After I have the CAI installed / computer re-tuned and later on down the road I need to bring in my stang to the dealer for some kind of work done under warranty, would I remove the CAI and put back the factory air tube and filter box and then also load back on the factory tune before dropping it off at the dealer for the work? If I leave the CAI and the performance tune on and then drop if off, will the dealer refuse to work on it since I have modified the computer? Thanks for any responces on this issue (I'm sure this has come up before, but really didn't find much on it).

·
Registered
283 Posts
That is a loaded question and you will get different answers from everyone. It eventually boils down to this- federal law says you are allowed to modify your car and keep your warranty. However, anything you do that causes a problem is not warranted. To use a/c compressor as an example: Common sense says a tune does not effect the a/c, so if you have a tune, and your compressor fails, it should be covered. Problem is, if the dealer says it did cause the problem, you would have to sue, and you'd spend more on that than just paying for the repair.
IMO, the best thing to do is get a good relationship with your dealer. If you bought the car there, you're already on the way. Use them for regular service, be nice, don't show signs of "obvious abuse", and you may never have a problem. This works for me, but I've been buying cars from, and having them serviced at, the same place for 15 years.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Donuts, Bagels and Coffee never hurt either.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I will ask the service manager what he/she thinks about CAIs and custom performance computer tunes. Thanks for the responses. I also am thinking before I do a CAI or not, I'm mostly likely going to do an axle-back exhaust upgrade first. I'm leaning towards Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers. I had Flowmasters on my '92 5.0L and really liked the low rumbling muscle car sound on them.

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
I think I will ask the service manager what he/she thinks about CAIs and custom performance computer tunes. Thanks for the responses. I also am thinking before I do a CAI or not, I'm mostly likely going to do an axle-back exhaust upgrade first. I'm leaning towards Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers. I had Flowmasters on my '92 5.0L and really liked the low rumbling muscle car sound on them.
You can keep in the back of your head that the Bullett had a CAI and Tune. so you can through that out if you feel the need to.:hihi:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.