Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any idea if either the Torch Red or the Refire color is treated in any way to prevent fading from sun exposure. The red cars I have had in the past looked good for the first year or so, but soon therefater the ravages of the sun began and I ended up with some pretty faded, dull looking cars. I know there are new UV protectants to help with this problem, but have no knowledge if anything is incorporated in these 2 colors to protect against fading. Any info is much appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
Red paint WILL fade if it is not kept protected, i.e. waxed. The sun bleaches red more than any other color because of the color of pigment and nothing more. If you get black it will show imperfections more and has a tendancy to fade to a greyish black. White tends to oxidize easiest, and dirt for some reason sticks to white the most. IMHO; white, and silver - especially silver, are the easiest colors to maintain. But yes, a nice new shiney red, or black looks awesome. Take my experience for what's its worth. I've run a detail/full serve wash for 6 years now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Waxed'05 GT said:
Red paint WILL fade if it is not kept protected, i.e. waxed. The sun bleaches red more than any other color because of the color of pigment and nothing more. If you get black it will show imperfections more and has a tendancy to fade to a greyish black. White tends to oxidize easiest, and dirt for some reason sticks to white the most. IMHO; white, and silver - especially silver, are the easiest colors to maintain. But yes, a nice new shiney red, or black looks awesome. Take my experience for what's its worth. I've run a detail/full serve wash for 6 years now.
Hey, how about the effects on Legend Lime (reading your post was interesting, but it would have been more interesting if it had adressed the effects of the sun on LL... ;) ...) ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
Legion681 said:
Hey, how about the effects on Legend Lime (reading your post was interesting, but it would have been more interesting if it had adressed the effects of the sun on LL... ;) ...) ?
I'm not sure you really want to know the answer to that one! :shocked: Oops! I've said too much. :heha:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,170 Posts
I have heard there will be no fading problem with the 06 ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
2k5GTC said:
I'm not sure you really want to know the answer to that one! :shocked: Oops! I've said too much. :heha:
LOL ... well it could always become one of a kind: FLL --> Faded Legend Lime...I wonder if my car's value would go up then... :gringreen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
Umm, yeah!!! Tell me if you feel otherwise... In the recent past I have not seen many cars with a legend lime color. Just Wax it!!!:cooldude: Oh, yeah... seasonally, if not more. There is no such thing as overwaxing.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top