Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 Mustang Lx 5.0, and I failed emissions. The car has 3.73's, mac equal lengths, and a BBK x pipe. I bought the x pipe from a friend with a mustang, I'm positive his car killed the cats and the o2 sensors. I failed on hyrdocarbons only by 3.59, the composite is .80. If the o2s and the cats are both fried, would this make me fail by that much? What else should I look at, the car runs good, I did a full tune up in march or so. Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Cats are more efficient when hot. The hotter the better and the more particles they remove. I suggest driving hard for 30 to 40 minutes then going to the smog shop, leave it idling and get it on the rollers immediately for the sniff test. This might get you past if you are close. If not start looking for an OEM H-pipe to get you past then change it back :doh:. If your tags expire you can go to the DMV and get a temp pass to put in your window until you figure out how to pass. Aren’t smog tests a pain in the ass?
The man ---->:sterb: <----us

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I need to know is if there's anything else I need to look at. My cats and 02's are fried, it's not going to pass as it is right now. I have a new catted h-pipe coming in the mail and I'm buying o2s. Is there anything else I should check or replace to be sure its running as clean as it can?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Mad_Morgan said:
What I need to know is if there's anything else I need to look at. My cats and 02's are fried, it's not going to pass as it is right now. I have a new catted h-pipe coming in the mail and I'm buying o2s. Is there anything else I should check or replace to be sure its running as clean as it can?
Make sure your secondary ignition has a fresh tuneup on it, (plugs, cap, rotor, wires) and reset your TPS and ignition timing to stock specs. Advanced timing actually produces dirtier emissions. Change your oil too. Dirty motor oil can make a car fail. Get a new air filter also. Good luck Bro', Yeah they are a pita!!! P.S. I've heard that 89 octane gas is optimal for testing. 92 octane is not as good.

·
Registered
688 Posts
go to your local strauss and buy a bottle of that stuff that says "guaranteed to pass emissions or double your money back" haha, just kiddin, i dont know if that stuff actually works, never tried it

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
jbspeed86 said:
go to your local strauss and buy a bottle of that stuff that says "guaranteed to pass emissions or double your money back" haha, just kiddin, i dont know if that stuff actually works, never tried it
104 Octane Boost used to (might still) make a product, it was in a dark green bottle, instead of red. I used it once, and passed, with my old '82 GT. This was almost ten years ago, but I still remember that my exhaust smelled differently - more like a newer car. I think I tried it once and failed, though. I always passed it within three tries with or without that stuff. They're getting rid of the sniffer here.:happyhapp I wonder what they're gonna do with those dyno roller setups...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.