Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I orderd two trimbrite paint pens made for touching up white wall or RWL tires to see if I applied it to the lettering on the stock v6 tires to see how it would look. Now, in person, this looks much worse, however for some reason on film it doesn't look that bad. Form your own opinions. Taking a good bit of care (I could have taken more, but by no means was I sloppy), the result on the one tire I tried it out on was not all that great. I took a picture of the wheel from a distance, the letters close up, then applied some black magic tire wet to see how it'd look (didn't give it enough time to settle, so it's pretty high gloss). I'm going to make a pledge wash it off tommorrow. I wasn't happy with the results. I'm willing to answer any questions about technique I used or what was easiest hardest, etc about the project if you're still interested. I decided it looks better with just tire wet. without further ado:

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
Try this...

Goliath,
This was after how many beers? :laughlitt What size were the pens? You can go to an art store and get some fine point china markers (grease pencils) and do a much more detailed job. I know because I have to do the right side of my Jeep Liberty all the time. My wife rubs the curb everytime she parks in front of the house. Here are some pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did it sober, here's teh catch. With your jeep, the whole outline is raised and is smooth, but more importantly, wide. The problem with the Traction T/A's is that the outline of the lettering is raised and narrow, then there is a series of lines emanating from the center inside the letters. The pencil was a little fat, sure. This was supposed to be more permanent than the grease pencils, but I agree it looks awful :p

·
Registered
622 Posts
KiLLeR_WoMBaT said:
Goliath,
This was after how many beers? :laughlitt What size were the pens? You can go to an art store and get some fine point china markers (grease pencils) and do a much more detailed job. I know because I have to do the right side of my Jeep Liberty all the time. My wife rubs the curb everytime she parks in front of the house. Here are some pics:
are the tires RWL to begin with?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope. blackwalls

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
KiLLeR_WoMBaT said:
Goliath,
SOS pads work wonders. All i have ever used, tires always looked as good as day one.

I hate those pens, look like crapola

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah but they dont' make RWL tires in sizes in the rims I'm looking to upgrade to. oh well, would be nice but no :p

Can't get RWL past 16" and I'm wanting 17", maybe 18"

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hey G-Man...I salute you for trying, all the same. For those of us who had trouble coloring inside the lines back in kindygarten...there's no way I would attempt that job. Your result looks like DaVinci compared to the mess I'd make of it...but anyways, thanks for the report. It takes a big man to post pics of a result he's not personally happy with.:worship

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Agreed. Thanks for the shots, that like you said actually look good in pics.

Ive seen it plenty of times, its never really pretty up close.

·
Registered
161 Posts
this is off topic and i apologize, but how is that AEM intake working out for you?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the AEM intake a good bit, I drove it 2 days without the tune, no CEL. So you could very well not tune the car and install it. The car pulled harder more noticably in the top of second and the whole range of 3rd. With the tune it's a completely different car. One thing, take it as you will. The intake whistles a little bit, almost like a woosh sound when you are accelerating. For those muscle car purists, that's probably a bad thing, but it is fun to listen to, it's not really noticable to people who didn't drive the car every day. The kit installed cleanly, only problem is it plans to be installed in a car with ABS, since mine didn't have it, I had to go buy a locking nut and bolt to secure the lower end of the heatshield. Nothing too tricky. Looks nice under the hood with the replacement air flow tube.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Goliath said:
yeah but they dont' make RWL tires in sizes in the rims I'm looking to upgrade to. oh well, would be nice but no :p

Can't get RWL past 16" and I'm wanting 17", maybe 18"
SPPPPTTTTtttt!!!! Dangit I just spewed coffee all over my monitor!!

Buuhh....Whuuhhh....Uhhh......WHATT????? HOLD THE DAMN PHONE!!!!

Are you freakin' kidding me?????

You're kidding, right?!??!!!!

There are NO freakin' tires with raised white letters for the freakin' stock 17" Bullits that come on a GT?? This can't be freakin' true!! Can it?!!!??!!

I'm really not trying to be sarcastic or funny here - I'm dead serious!! Every car I've ever owned has had RWL tires on it - my old 'Stang, two Fiat X-1/9's ( well I think I remember that), my '69 Four-Speed Cutlass, my poopy ol' Camaro and my beloved Chevy pickup!!! It's a freakin' outright REQUIREMENT for some of us!!! What freakin' MAROON at what freakin' tire company dropped the freakin' BALL here???

Having this outstandingly cool machine, that lives up to everything I ever wanted my old 'Stang - or any car - to be, but never was, and runs harder than anything I've owned, and never ever ever ever to be able to have a freakin' proper-looking musclecar tire on it, is a freakin' lowdown crying shame. How in the world can you even do a freakin' proper BURNOUT without this most basic and essential ingredient???

Excuse me while I go freakin' throw up!!

Gotta be an answer to this out there somewhere.......someone please say this isn't so!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah check out tirerack, those nascar tires we have mentioned in a couple threads are the only ones small enough I've found for our cars, and they don't come bigger than 16". And after a couple days of driving in the rain, half of the white stuff is gone anyways.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts