Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 84 gt has a loud roaring sound above 2500 rpm's, the mechanic that I have do all the work on both my cars says its the fan clutch. I'm going to go get the part tomarrow but I need to know if it is thermal or non-thermal. I've never dealt with a fan clutch before, I dont even know what it is but I'm sure I can change it out. What are some pointers that I need to know to change this thing out. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
you need a 10mm wrench, take out the four bolts to the waterpump, then take off the serp belt. next remove the fan shroud i think there are 10 or 13 mm bolts. it should just come out after that. straight upwards

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i just did the fan clutch on my 88 lx

its an easy project, you may have to remove or drop tension on your belt if its serp. but any way, it is a thermal fan clutch.
there is a silicone fluid inside the fan clatch that tells the fan when and how fast to spin in relation to the drive on its pulley/shaft. also there is a heavy duty version, which i believe came on the police interceptors. i put the regular duty on mine, but i have an aftermarket thermostat that keeps my motor ice cold. the heavy duty runs about 60-65 bucks. youll definately want to replace this as your water pump runs off of the same shaft. leaving the bad fan clutch on could result in damage to your water pump bearings.

after you unscrew your water pump bolts, and the fan shroud, you just slide everytihng up. fan and shroud as one. then you take the clutch off the fan, and put the new one on, and then struggle to line up the holes with the threaded ones on the pump to put the it back on. its the hardest part, not even that hard, just annoying.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I just finished a big rear brake job on the car so letting it sit for a while isnt a big issue, I'm trying to ride the bike as much as possible. I havent even drove the mustang myself for about 2 months now. I let a buddy barrow the car and I got it back with no rear brakes and a bad fan clutch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.