Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i want to change my fan for my 88 mustang, 302. The motor is stock and im sure the fan is stock as well. Its kind like a hard plastic type of material.

I was looking on summit and noticed the different types they have. I suppose

first question would be does it turn clockwise? or counterclockwise? i never noticed and haven't checked... im not sure id even be able to tell.

Second question would be what is the stock diameter of the fan so id know which size to get?

How many blades would be best?

My car is manual trans. does that mater? anything i should know because i have a clutch fan?

What blade type? What does it mean what it says "Flex" is this more efficient to cool the motor?

Help people, also is it difficult to install? do i have to remove my radiator or fan shroud? I hope not.

Also how can you tell if the fan clutch is bad? ? ? i was told if you spin it or something it'll make a weird sound?

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
To check the clutch get your car nice and hot and to operating temp then turn it off. If you can spin the fan by hand then the clutch is shot. The clutch has a fluid in it that when it heats up it created resistance and stiffens up therefore allowing the fan to spin. So when it is cold the fluid is liquidy and lets the fan disengage therefore not spinning the fan so that the car can get to operating temp.

Are you looking to replace the fan with an electric unit or just stock replacement stuff?

·
Registered
263 Posts
i made a thread in talk about this, i don't mean to hijack but can you have a electric fan and clutch fan both installed ? I might replace mines as well

1 - 5 of 5 Posts