Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday when i was going to work i turned my left blinker on and it went twice as fast as usual. I checked the right one and it was normal but the left one is seriously goint twice as fast, both lights work but i dont get it. Is it the bulb about to burn out, maybe a short, i dont know, I only have 12,000 on it and it will be a year at the end of may. I havnt done anything to it at all except rims and tires.(which look really good by the way) But I was wondering if you all would know what would cause this.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I don't know for sure, but last year the same thing happened on my Mark VIII and one of the brake light bulbs was bad.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The fast blink usually is a sign on a bad bulb. I seem to recall that when the rear bulb is out this happens, but I'm not 100% on that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
stangthang said:
Yesterday when i was going to work i turned my left blinker on and it went twice as fast as usual. I checked the right one and it was normal but the left one is seriously goint twice as fast, both lights work but i dont get it. Is it the bulb about to burn out, maybe a short, i dont know, I only have 12,000 on it and it will be a year at the end of may. I havnt done anything to it at all except rims and tires.(which look really good by the way) But I was wondering if you all would know what would cause this.
Don't quote me on this, but one of my EE friends (Electronic Engineer), said that it's because a certain amount of power is sent to the blinker and the left hand side of the bulbs so that they all blink at the same speed (which has a flasher relay to control this). Now if one goes out, the same amount of power is being sent is now distributed among less bulbs, thus the speed goes up. I'm not totally sure if this idea is correct, but it's also hard for me to remember what exactly he said.

·
Registered
361 Posts
stangthang said:
You sure there are no bulbs burnt on the left side? Front or back.... This usually occurs when a bulb has blown.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Check all the left side bulbs, including the side markers. Chances are good that one of them is burned out or loose in the socket.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
betcha its the rear middle one.

Some cars will flash fast when a bulb out, some will stay on solid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts