Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi My 1999 Mustang (automatic) overheated on the gauge last night for the very first time ever. She got me home strained and there was a small amount of water on the garage floor this morning. I poured antifreeze into the overflow and then into the radiator itself let it run and she started leaking from what seems to be a small but flowing hole on the passengers side of the radiator bottom. I looked up 'leaking radiator' on your forum and saw manifold problems but the car never Blew smoked or gave any such problems just an overheating (HOT) gauge and now a definite leak.
Is it the radiator itself? Could it be a hose? is it the thermostat or casing? Should I try the leak stop tablets? I want to get some advice before I take her to a shop on Monday so have some knowledge of the situation. Any help would be appreciated.
I don't know how to use these forums yet and don't even know how to come back to find if anybody answered so if administration is reading this please HELP!
Thanks
DrBLovemore
Brandy

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hey Brandy; Don't use any stop leak tablets, or any other type of stop leak product. All that does, it's like putting a band-aid on your problem. Take it to a shop, and let them do the job right the first time. If anything goes wrong, then they're responsible for the repair. If you want to find the leak, go to your local parts store and tell them you have a leaky radiator. Then tell them, you want the dye for finding the leak. If you don't have a pressure tester, and you have a local Auto Zone you can rent one at no charge to you. You will have to give them, a down payment for the tool but you'll get it back when you return it. When your car is cooled down, remove your radiator cap and place the tester in it's place. Then pump the tester up, until you have a steady flow coming from the leak. You will need a black light, so you can see where the dye is coming from. Top off the radiator, just before you're ready to leave to go to the radiator shop and let them handle it. It' most likely just a simple fix, Mike. P.S. If you want to know how to get back to your post, just click on it in the forums section where you posted it. :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'm not sure How I even got your response this is a brand new experience for me I will take it in on Monday and not fool with the stop leak. I don't have the means to fix the problem myself even if I knew where it was comping from. thanks for the advice ,I got a few responses from others it the Tech area but I have know idea how or where to go to find them again your the only one that actually replied directly to my thread. Thanks again
Frustrate in Florida
But Grateful LOL
Brandy

·
Registered
41,826 Posts
Welcome and good luck with that radiator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts