Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys. i want to know whats the fasted anyone has gone with their mustang that passes california smog inspections. non of this i got a guy that overlooks my victor jr heads with no smog pump. or i got an illegal smog and ran this or that. a car that can be taken to any smog inspector in california and pass visual, functional, and tailpipe inspection. preferably done with a 302 but you can get away with a 351 and most inspectors will not notice so its allowed. any camshaft is allowed as an inspector cannot disassemble an engine nor fail you because he thinks its got an aftermarket cam.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
Aside from the visual stuff, I imagine a lot has to do with the “tune” as far as the tail pipe sniffer goes. I’ve failed the sniffer with a CARB legal parts in Texas. Once I had to put denatured alcohol in the gas to lower the hc’s...
Are you trying to put together a smog legal car and are wondering what to use?
Side note: 351’s are heavy and slow out of the box. If you put the typical 302 aftermarket top end on it you’ll get typical aftermarket 302 type power.
Hard question to answer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sir. thanks for the info. i am a smog inspector in california so im very aware of what can be used...or what can be gotten away with. ill allow a tune as its not really legal but most tuning devices are plugged into the back of the computer in the kick panel and wont be seen. the obd2 engine management systems on lmr.com are pushing it but again if well hidden nobody would know. i want to know what is the fastest car to get through a california smog inpection the legit way. i would like to take a shot at claiming this for myself.... nobody seems to care for this mark though.

·
Registered
756 Posts
nobody seems to care for this mark though.
You are probably right about that. I also live in California, and every single person I know with a Foxbody has a smog guy that they use to make it "legal"

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
sir. thanks for the info. i am a smog inspector in california so im very aware of what can be used...or what can be gotten away with. ill allow a tune as its not really legal but most tuning devices are plugged into the back of the computer in the kick panel and wont be seen. the obd2 engine management systems on lmr.com are pushing it but again if well hidden nobody would know. i want to know what is the fastest car to get through a california smog inpection the legit way. i would like to take a shot at claiming this for myself.... nobody seems to care for this mark though.
Are there no exemptions due to age? In TX a 25 year old car is exempt from the sniffer.
What if a guy has a ‘69 Model? It has to pass 2018 standards?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are probably right about that. I also live in California, and every single person I know with a Foxbody has a smog guy that they use to make it "legal"
right! i think its boring though. it would be more fun to take it to the smog guy and watch them try to find something "wrong" with it. i would have to guess mid to low 9s would be obtainable but i dont know. nobody seems to know. maybe i will do it. i was thinking 427 bottom end with some windsor sr heads. no idea what cam and oh dont forget the vortech supercharger. havent thought of the combo to much cuz i wanted to get an idea of the standard for this type of thing. my inspiration is im tired of watching youtubers and tv shows with "street legal" cars with twin 76s. where is the executive order number for those bad boys? federal laws dont allow it either. not street legal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are there no exemptions due to age? In TX a 25 year old car is exempt from the sniffer.
What if a guy has a ‘69 Model? It has to pass 2018 standards?
75 and older is exempt. 69 model is pretty much whatever you want so i wanted to leave those out. just cars not exempt.

awsome im getting some replies. thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These guys claim 11.99 in the 1/4 and smog legal. Blower kit.
I failed a time or two with my blower kit.
Project Smog Legal Killer - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords

Here?s How to Make this 1979 Mustang California Smog-Legal
ok so in the first article they went 120 something mph so that is an easy 10 sec car. also afr sensors are not street legal and any ignition control boxes are not steet legal. if well hidden it can slide. i bet 75% of inspectors would not pass that car. but that all depends on how well its hidden. if i did it right you guys should be able to see the smog check manual. at the end of it is the aftermarket parts verification(stuff that needs an executive order number to be legal)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so lets just say anything that can be taken off and returned to stock quickly can be allowed or anything easily hidden. so focus on motor hard parts... heads, blowers n such.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
my inspiration is im tired of watching youtubers and tv shows with "street legal" cars with twin 76s. where is the executive order number for those bad boys? federal laws dont allow it either. not street legal.
Technically all true, but people in states without inspections or smog laws can pretty much do what they want to their car. While still federally illegal, since their state doesn't check anything, they're still licensed, insured, and on the road, and I think that's what they mean when claiming to be street legal.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
my inspiration is im tired of watching youtubers and tv shows with "street legal" cars with twin 76s. where is the executive order number for those bad boys? federal laws dont allow it either. not street legal.
Technically all true, but people in states without inspections or smog laws can pretty much do what they want to their car. While still federally illegal, since their state doesn't check anything, they're still licensed, insured, and on the road, and I think that's what they mean when claiming to be street legal.
The fastest “street cars” in the OKC get brought to location on trailers where the “secret” racing location is lined with 20 foot portable stadium lights... All of the cars have slicks of course.
Y’all can’t take those shows serious.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The fastest “street cars” in the OKC get brought to location on trailers where the “secret” racing location is lined with 20 foot portable stadium lights... All of the cars have slicks of course.
Y’all can’t take those shows serious.
Haha, well, it's not a secret anymore. Being on TV and having a film crew has changed all that, but they've been doing the same things for decades, long before the film crew came out. It was definitely a secret before Discovery Channel came along. Plenty of racers without their own TV show are still doing it all over the country. I'm lucky enough to be in the loop for my area and I usually know where they'll be, but not always. It's always changing.

For those types though, a street car is just a car with a vin, and at one point and time used to be a real car.

·
Registered
968 Posts
It's so hard to read what russ writes as the capitalization, spelling, grammar and sentence structure is so poorly done. I commend those of you that were able to decipher his gobbledygook.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Russ was the son.
Yes, played by Johnny Galecki, the 'David' on Roseanne and 'Leonard' on Big Bang Theory.
At first I was thinking that you meant that he was also hard to read but that was never mentioned for any of his characters including Russ G.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts