Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have always wanted to do oil changes on my own cars just like i remember my dad doing years ago before his back went out. and i was talking with him today about me wanting to do it, and he said that i should be able to do it no problem and he'd even watch me and made sure i did it correctly. I am soooo happy now :) so i have a question now, can i run Mobil 1 Fully synthetic oil? i know i need to have 5w-20 oil but does full synthetic have weights like this? and also, where do i grab the filter? i was planning on going up to R&S Strauss and picking up the oil but i didn't know if they would have the filter as well, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
You'll be fine with Mobil1. As for filters I'd recommend either a Wix filter or a Motorcraft.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yup mobil 1 makes 5w20 you can get that and your motorcraft filter at Walmart. Both my boys 7yrs. and 3 yrs. were with me on the first oil change of the Mustang.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Nothing wrong with a Playstation... :D

·
Registered
726 Posts
Wish I could get my boy off the Playstation long enough to help. :so
Yeah, just throw it out!! He'll get up quick. No video games at my house. We live out in the woods no neighbors for a half mile, and at the dead end of the road. My boys have been running like a pack of wild dogs for a few years now. They were out side today in the rain and 40 deg. Had to make them come in!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Got that right... gremlins... scream until you like it.

That gremlin again... someone find him and choke him...

And what happened to your post???

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Got that right... gremlins... scream until you like it.

That gremlin again... someone find him and choke him...

And what happened to your post???
It transferred to you. :scratchchin Never saw this before. Maybe I should play the lottery. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
422 Posts
So i have always wanted to do oil changes on my own cars just like i remember my dad doing years ago before his back went out. and i was talking with him today about me wanting to do it, and he said that i should be able to do it no problem and he'd even watch me and made sure i did it correctly. I am soooo happy now :) so i have a question now, can i run Mobil 1 Fully synthetic oil? i know i need to have 5w-20 oil but does full synthetic have weights like this? and also, where do i grab the filter? i was planning on going up to R&S Strauss and picking up the oil but i didn't know if they would have the filter as well, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Holy *****! This is too weird!!

So I just did EXACTLY this! As a father-son bonding thing, I told my dad I wanted to learn how to change the oil for myself, so we jacked the car up and I got underneath it.

My dad explained me through the process, and it felt like way more of an accomplisment than just having him do it.

I don't remember the filter brand, but we even used Mobil 1 fully synthetic as well (but it was 5w30, not 5w20).

Then I went to rotate the tires, and when I was putting one of them back on, I caught my finger hard between a rotating tire and the brake caliper. It didn't even hurt, but more instantly went numb. It shaved off the cuticle from my nail and that depth of skin down for about a quarter of an inch. Boy, was I bleedin! THEN it started to hurt, and man did it ever. I tried pulling of the loose skin, but I started to tug and got a feeling like I was about to throw up, so I ended that pretty quickly.

So yeah, I would recommend rotating the tires while you're at it (since you're supposed to at 3000 miles anyways), but watch your fingers!

If you take them off before you change the oil, the filter is easily accessible from the ouside through the passenger side wheel well. Just be sure to unscrew it with your right hand since I did it with my left and could only tip it to the right (and got a good amount on the car's metal). Using your right, you can tip it to the left and avoid having to clean more than necessary.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there anything special regarding the filter? i was planning on going with a Motorcraft one, but is there a part number i need or something?

·
Registered
25,075 Posts
Ok you guys, you just touched my heart, I really have tears in my eyes! You have no ideas how precious those moments are to a parent! More than just bonding! Cherish every moment! That is something that means more than you know!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hotshot, the motorcraft filter is part # FL-820S.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ok you guys, you just touched my heart, I really have tears in my eyes! You have no ideas how precious those moments are to a parent! More than just bonding! Cherish every moment! That is something that means more than you know!
It was great because when I was waiting for my finger to stop bleeding (it was going for a while, actually), my mom just sat there and sighed, and all my dad could say is "that's my boy!" He is always out getting random injuries while working on stuff in the garage too. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
On a related note:
I did my first oil change on my Mustang yesterday. The car had
the original oil filter on it, as it was at 3000 miles. I didn't think
the filter was EVER gonna come off. I guess a gorilla at the factory
put it on with a large monkey wrench. I have a cap style filter wrench,
but it was only rounding the end off. So I had to run up the
street, and get a metal strap style wrench. But it finally backed
off, and I filled her up with some Castrol Synthetic.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went to the auto store today and picked up my stuff. FL-802S motorcraft filter. and a 6 pack of Mobil 1 5W-20 fully synthetic oil. now i just hope it doesn't rain on saturday because i am doing it outside lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
Holy *****! This is too weird!!

So I just did EXACTLY this! As a father-son bonding thing, I told my dad I wanted to learn how to change the oil for myself, so we jacked the car up and I got underneath it.

My dad explained me through the process, and it felt like way more of an accomplisment than just having him do it.

I don't remember the filter brand, but we even used Mobil 1 fully synthetic as well (but it was 5w30, not 5w20).

Then I went to rotate the tires, and when I was putting one of them back on, I caught my finger hard between a rotating tire and the brake caliper. It didn't even hurt, but more instantly went numb. It shaved off the cuticle from my nail and that depth of skin down for about a quarter of an inch. Boy, was I bleedin! THEN it started to hurt, and man did it ever. I tried pulling of the loose skin, but I started to tug and got a feeling like I was about to throw up, so I ended that pretty quickly.

So yeah, I would recommend rotating the tires while you're at it (since you're supposed to at 3000 miles anyways), but watch your fingers!

If you take them off before you change the oil, the filter is easily accessible from the ouside through the passenger side wheel well. Just be sure to unscrew it with your right hand since I did it with my left and could only tip it to the right (and got a good amount on the car's metal). Using your right, you can tip it to the left and avoid having to clean more than necessary.
Ok guys a few suggestions from a guy that did oil changes and tires for 3 years as a job.

1) keep you recipts, you'll need them for warrenty proof

2) buy a K&N oil filter. It does nothing for hp or anything but instead of going threw the pain of getting that filter off you just have to take a 1" wrench to the end of it and it just becomes another drain plug and no problems. It saves you time and a lot of cash in the long run.

3) If you are going to use a normal oil filter when you go to put the new one on dip your finger in NEW oil and coat the rubber seal of the new filter. It helps in getting it off next oil change TRUST ME!!!

4) buy an oil filter wrench just incase. For our filters its a med size one. You want to put the oil filter on tight but don't reef it on, and don't use the wrench to put it on either!! The filter will heat up and seal its self real good then you need the wrench to get it off if you have put it on too tight last time.

As for the wheels:
Buy a tourque wrench. Tourque your tires to 100 ft-lbs each time and then re-tourque them between 50-100 miles. For me its 100 to 200km. This ensures the tires wont come off. When you tighten them the first time it keeps them tight but as you drive your rims seat in to the proper place and the re-tourque keeps them there.

Just a word of advice too grab the rims from the bottom and put them on the studs like your trying to hang a coat by the loop on a hook. This gives you a chance to hold the tire on the bottom and not crush your fingers.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i did it :)

I changed my oil today and i must say, it was pretty fun :)

My father and i took some old lumber that was about 6 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick, nailed a few of them together in increasing height to create a ramp to drive my car up onto. Once i figured out where the drain plug was, i took it out and didn't shoot myself in the eye by it did cover the ground pretty well because i knew it was going to shoot out, but not that much. I drained the oil, then i re-inserted the drain plug. Took the filter off, oiled up the new one, installed it hand tightened only. Then i added 6 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-20 fully synthetic to it. All in all took me about 30 minutes, but biggest problem was getting the car up a little so i could get under there. I have to find a buddy who has a lift of something because i worry about moving my car up there and scratching the front fascia.

But now, i feel confident enough that the job is not as complex as i thought. i look forward to my next oil change. which might be a long way off because i changed my oil at 2,970 miles on that batch of oil/filter and it was very clean. has a reddish tint to it and was still fairly brown rather than dark black.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
On a related note:
I did my first oil change on my Mustang yesterday. The car had
the original oil filter on it, as it was at 3000 miles. I didn't think
the filter was EVER gonna come off. I guess a gorilla at the factory
put it on with a large monkey wrench. I have a cap style filter wrench,
but it was only rounding the end off. So I had to run up the
street, and get a metal strap style wrench. But it finally backed
off, and I filled her up with some Castrol Synthetic.
+1 The factory must use loc-tite on those damn filters! :gringreen

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.