Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

A while back, Bullitt posted a thread title "Making a SN95 Handle Using Mostly Stock Parts". Well, I read the list, researched on my own and decided to give it a try. I have finally completed my list and will be getting everything installed this weekend. Please give feedback on your thoughts, and good my car should ride now (has stock 98 suspension with 100k on it). The below is what I have collected:

Re-valved Bilstein struts from a 2004 Cobra: $125 on Ebay
1995 Cobra 27mm solid rear sway bar: $50 on Craigs List
Lightly used Eibach Pro Kit Springs in great shape: $60 on ebay
Brand New Mach1 Tokico Shocks: $96 for both at Rock Auto.
New Spring Isolators from American Muscle

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Looks good, you've already got a '98 GT, so you've got the big front swaybar already.

I would also recommend replacing the swaybar bushings and endlinks while you're in there, and when the funds are available, the Termi front control arms are a great upgrade for the 94-98 cars. You get stiffer bushings, better balljoints and revised geometry that will give you a much tighter turning radius.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Hey Guys,

A while back, Bullitt posted a thread title "Making a SN95 Handle Using Mostly Stock Parts". Well, I read the list, researched on my own and decided to give it a try. I have finally completed my list and will be getting everything installed this weekend. Please give feedback on your thoughts, and good my car should ride now (has stock 98 suspension with 100k on it). The below is what I have collected:

Re-valved Bilstein struts from a 2004 Cobra: $125 on Ebay
1995 Cobra 27mm solid rear sway bar: $50 on Craigs List
Lightly used Eibach Pro Kit Springs in great shape: $60 on ebay
Brand New Mach1 Tokico Shocks: $96 for both at Rock Auto.
New Spring Isolators from American Muscle
You are spot on with this set up, the only thing I would suggest adding are what Bullitt here VVVV has suggested

Looks good, you've already got a '98 GT, so you've got the big front swaybar already.

I would also recommend replacing the swaybar bushings and endlinks while you're in there, and when the funds are available, the Termi front control arms are a great upgrade for the 94-98 cars. You get stiffer bushings, better balljoints and revised geometry that will give you a much tighter turning radius.:bigthumbsup
Upgrading the bushings and end-links for the sway-bar will really keep the car from tipping and it will stay very neutral in the corners. Furthermore, the control-arms will help keep the car planted in the front and prevent it from wanting to lift the inside wheel on corner exit/acceleration.

I hope this is helpful, please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions in the future!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

1. While under there, should I replace any other bushings? Lower Control Arm bushings, what about rack bushing?

2. Also, what is the difference between offset and standard steering rack bushings? Which one would I need?

3. Should I be greasing all the bushings when I install them?

4. When replacing the stock front struts, should I use the rubber bushing from the stock struts (as some directions call for), or use the bushing that came with the Cobra Bilstein struts....will they fit?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Inspect the rack bushings, and replace them if needed. Use standard offset, don't do the offset ones, they can actually make bumpsteer worse.

The front A-Arm bushings are a real PITA to replace, I'd just save up to get the Termi front control arms. I did mine with poly, and in hindsight, I should have just bought the termi A-Arms. They come with better bushings and balljoints. I used the Steeda X2 balljoints and they ended up being bad 6 months later, so screw them.

The bushings come with a lube, and yes, lube them down really well.

Get a nice set of rear control arms next if you don't have them already.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about installing the Bilsteins from the Cobra. I will be keeping the stock Caster Chamber plates.

What do I use from the Cobra Bilsteins (they came with the top rubber bushing/plastic dust cover) and what do I use from the stock struts (I know they have the stock top rubber bushing, plastic dust sleeve, and bottom rubber stopper??

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Use the stuff from the Cobra. You'll see why when you get in there. The dust boots and bumpstops from the GT won't fit the Bilsteins.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would guess I dont even need a bump stop for the bottom....the Bilstein has them built in...correct?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Yeah, they're integrated into the struts.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will rear lower control arms for a 99-04 GT/V6 fit a SN95 mustang as well.

What are your thoughts on a set of Roush lower control arms if I can get them for a steal?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts