Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm considering getting the Magnaflow street series catback but wanted to get some feedback from fellow 'Stangers that have this on already.
I did try the Borla S-type axle back but found that far too loud, I'm not looking to wake the dead and want a quiet exhaust that offers a little more than stock.

So can anyone please comment on the noise levels, performance gains and very importantly if there's any drone.

Thanks in advance :)

Paul

·
Registered
37 Posts
I suppose loud is a relative term...lol. I have the magna flow can style mufflers and my car sounds awesome. A bit louder than flowmasters but not obnoxious and has a very nice thump thump sound at idle. I'd post a sound bite but cannot find out how to do it on here.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose loud is a relative term...lol. I have the magna flow can style mufflers and my car sounds awesome. A bit louder than flowmasters but not obnoxious and has a very nice thump thump sound at idle. I'd post a sound bite but cannot find out how to do it on here.
Yeah, people have different definitions of what loud is :)

I'm just looking for something that's not much louder than stock, infact if there was one the same sound as stock I would buy that as I just want to A add a bit of power and B make the back end look better.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
I have the Magnaflow rectangular mufflers on my 2010 GT, I think those are the ones you are talking about, I'm not sure what are the differences between the V8 and V6 models, if any.

Anyway -- on my car -- they have a very smooth, deep tone with zero drone. For loudness they are about the same as the stock 2010 GT mufflers. Like most mufflers these days they are pretty quiet when cruising along but reasonably loud when you get on it; I love the sound on my GT but I wish they were a little bit louder. I wanted something a little louder and deeper than the stock mufflers; I got about the same volume but deeper.

They have beautiful double-walled, packed tips -- about the nicest looking tips I have ever seen (not talking about real exotic stuff like rectangular tips)

Definitely no drone -- this is very important for me because my stang is my daily driver which is a one-hour highway drive in each direction.

J

·
0 Posts
Yeah, people have different definitions of what loud is :)

I'm just looking for something that's not much louder than stock, infact if there was one the same sound as stock I would buy that as I just want to A add a bit of power and B make the back end look better.
I've had the Magnaflow street series on for a couple of months and Love Them. Very deep, now drone, and just slightly louder than stock! I like the Borla Touring, but I was able to get the Magnaflow at dealer cost so I couldn't justify an extra 300 bones for the touring, but I don't regret the magnaflows one bit. Read these reviews from AM, the first one is mine.
Magnaflow Street Mustang Axleback Exhaust (2011 V6) at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!
The axle backs and catbacks will sound identical
my video
YouTube - ‪2011 V6 Mustang Magnaflow Street Series‬‏ :yup:
Also I've read on this forum lately about the new Dynomax catback, and I've listened to the sound bites, very similar to the magnaflows in sound and a little cheaper MSRP. Oh, and as far as power goes it'll sound more powerful but the outside most you'll ever get from a catback on this car is 10HP, it's more of a sound thing and looks, and as far as that goes 2 thumbs up for the magnaflo! good luck.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Yeah, that Dynomax system is so tempting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the magnaflow competition series muffler delete and they sound awesome!! Not too loud unless you mash the gas and at normal speeds they are quiet. Idle has a nice thump thump sound that you cannot hardly hear inside the car unless the windows are down. It totally turns heads.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think you will like the Flowmaster axlebacks. They are not as loud as the other exhausts, but just have a deeper note of the stock tone.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I think you will like the Flowmaster axlebacks. They are not as loud as the other exhausts, but just have a deeper note of the stock tone.
I listened to their videos online and I honestly didn't care for them. Too much popping.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
borla touring from southern mustang parts, louder than stock, not as loud at s-types (ithought those were loud to) drop a ton of weight, looks good from back.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the comments guys, I've ordered the Magnaflows so looking forward to getting them installed.

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks for all the comments guys, I've ordered the Magnaflows so looking forward to getting them installed.
Congrats! Make sure you read the comments from those who installed theirs. You'll have to break off and reuse the stock clamps, and taking down the drivers side stock muffler is a little tricky. But then installation is a breeze. I just loaded my tweaked Bama Race tune this morning and OMG!!!! those magnaflows sound wicked with my new bottom end fuel mapping schedule. Almost a sexual experience....:laugh:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got them delivered today so went straight down to Steeda in Milton for the install. I have to say I love this exhaust, looks amazing and sounds great. Just what I was looking for!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Glad to hear you're happy with your choice. Any sound clips/vids?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Got them delivered today so went straight down to Steeda in Milton for the install. I have to say I love this exhaust, looks amazing and sounds great. Just what I was looking for!
What did they charge you for installation?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will try to get a clip today, the install was $85.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Any drone issues with the Magnaflows? Any other reservations?

·
Registered
381 Posts
There were some for sale on Latemodel Restoration website. for like 477$

J

·
0 Posts
Any drone issues with the Magnaflows? Any other reservations?
After several months no drone, unlike chambered mufflers. They are deeper than most, so a little bit of boom in the 2K range that my wife doesn't like. So, I got Peal n' Seal at Lowes(poor mans dynomat) and installed over muffler wells inside the trunk, just lift the carpet up, peel and stick. $8 and 10 minutes later and it's quieter inside the cabin.:yelpleased:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After several months no drone, unlike chambered mufflers. They are deeper than most, so a little bit of boom in the 2K range that my wife doesn't like. So, I got Peal n' Seal at Lowes(poor mans dynomat) and installed over muffler wells inside the trunk, just lift the carpet up, peel and stick. $8 and 10 minutes later and it's quieter inside the cabin.:yelpleased:
I would say the same, they are deep sounding so you can get a bit of noise but it's exhaust sound and not drone. I'm really happy with them and would certainly recommend them, the build quality is excellent and the tips are the best I've seen.

Can anyone recommend a camera mount for the dash as I want to take some WOT video to post here, there's plenty of idle and reving clips but I think a WOT clip in the cabin would help some people.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts