Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm loving the sound of my GT500 axlebacks. However, I've been disappointed that the tips were practically hidden underneath the rear valence. Well . . ... today I went further under the car than just the rear axle and found some rearward adjustment. As you can see in the pics the tips stick out equal to the vertical plane of the rear clip. IMO, MUCH, much better look! For those of you willing there is a cover clamp between the header pipe and the 2 tail pipe sections that has at least 2 inches of rearward adjustment. In the pics I used about 1.5" of that 2" adjustment. I can still fit my hand between the exhaust system and the differential. So far no rattles and IMO it now looks like it sounds!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mine is already there, but then I have the Heartthrob as well.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had mine mounted for about 2 weeks. Every time I walked by the rear of the car I'd think, "where are the tips". I'd have to bend down to see them. Well . . ... I found them and put them where they are supposed to be!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I noticed how shinny your car looks. I have a black 2012 vert GT but it is not as sinny as yours. What do you use?
:?:

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We just got over love bug season here in Florida. As such I have several coats of Turtle Wax Ice on the car. Good stuff!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I've got my '12 coming, I have a GT500 rear valance to put on with the GT500 mufflers. I have the backup sensor retainers to install the sensors but I'll need to confirm the wiring can be transferred from the stock valance before I drill the GT500 one.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about all the other components of the backup sensor system? Like what the sensors connect to?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
What about all the other components of the backup sensor system? Like what the sensors connect to?
That's why I haven't drilled the fascia yet. All you should "need" to do is drill the holes for the mount rings and transfer the sensors and wiring loom; but I want to see how the loom is attached first. I'm hoping the wiring is attached to the underbody frame and not the fascia itself, it would make things easier. Nobody around here has the backup sensors for me to look so I have to wait for mine to come in.

·
Registered
219 Posts
That's why I haven't drilled the fascia yet. All you should "need" to do is drill the holes for the mount rings and transfer the sensors and wiring loom; but I want to see how the loom is attached first. I'm hoping the wiring is attached to the underbody frame and not the fascia itself, it would make things easier. Nobody around here has the backup sensors for me to look so I have to wait for mine to come in.
The pigtail for them is in the spare tire well. My car has the pigtail even though I don't have the option.

I'm Hoping to add them at some point. Hopefully they just plug in and work.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Thanks OP! I don't have GT500's but I have been meaning to adjust my pipes. Looks great!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The pigtail for them is in the spare tire well. My car has the pigtail even though I don't have the option.

I'm Hoping to add them at some point. Hopefully they just plug in and work.
That doesn't surprise me that the pigtail is there -- what I need to know is if the loom that joins the sensors to the pigtail is attached to the fascia or not. It would be easier if "not" then I don't have to mess up the stock one prying the loom off.

The retrofit might seem interesting, but be forewarned that the sensors run about $80 EACH. Keep an eye out for a wrecked one. You might need the backup sensor module too as well.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That doesn't surprise me that the pigtail is there -- what I need to know is if the loom that joins the sensors to the pigtail is attached to the fascia or not. It would be easier if "not" then I don't have to mess up the stock one prying the loom off.

The retrofit might seem interesting, but be forewarned that the sensors run about $80 EACH. Keep an eye out for a wrecked one. You might need the backup sensor module too as well.
I was thinking more about what the pigtail connects to. Since it's not equipped from the factory is the computer set up to recognize the input? Then if it is, what about the output? Is the hardware there for the audible increasing beeps?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had the slack taken out on install. The car had a rough day that's why it's dirty.
Before you took the slack out did you see that the tips were under the valance, or did you never see where they naturally lined up? I've noticed that the other axle back manufacturers tips are much longer than the GT500's. Those systems you must have to pull in the other direction to get the tips back to the vertical plane?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I was thinking more about what the pigtail connects to. Since it's not equipped from the factory is the computer set up to recognize the input? Then if it is, what about the output? Is the hardware there for the audible increasing beeps?
You would have to see if the components are there first.

Parking Aid​
The parking aid system consists of:​
•​
Four ultrasonic parking aid sensors (located in the rear bumper cover)

•​
Parking Aid Module (PAM) and parking aid speaker (both located behind the LR quarter trim panel)

Parking aid disable feature (integral to theInstrument Panel Cluster (IPC) message center)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I really didn't notice while it was on the lift but the installers did and they found some slack from the H-pipe back. All the other FRPP axelbacks have much longer tips. I'm going to put 4" or larger on my stockers and reinstall them.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really didn't notice while it was on the lift but the installers did and they found some slack from the H-pipe back. All the other FRPP axelbacks have much longer tips. I'm going to put 4" or larger on my stockers and reinstall them.
Exactly! At that junction is where I adjusted mine. Are you sure larger than 4" will fit into the rear cut out with enough air space left to cool? You don't want to melt that plastic in the valence?

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You would have to see if the components are there first.
Right! Do you know if those drawings apply across all equipment levels? I'm almost positive my navi equipped Mustang alerts through all the infortainment system speakers as opposed to just one. Could it be that those drawings are for the non navi equipped Mustangs? Just checking?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Right! Do you know if those drawings apply across all equipment levels? I'm almost positive my navi equipped Mustang alerts through all the infortainment system speakers as opposed to just one. Could it be that those drawings are for the non navi equipped Mustangs? Just checking?
Seeing I don't have my car yet I can't confirm if you can hear the beeping through the speakers when the EP is off but the speaker you see in the schematic above is located in the lower driver's side kick panel. There is also a CANBus connection from the Parking Aid Module (PAM) (different schematic), it's likely if it sounds through the EP then the EP picks up the signal from the CANBus and outputs it through the stereo speakers as well.

Turn the EP off and put the car in reverse with the key on car off and the sensor triggered and if you hear the beeping you should be able to tell if there's a speaker there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.