Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking online for hoods for my mustang and I was curious about hoods with Ram Air induction systems with them as well. Does anybody know of any good hoods out there? I saw one online called Cervini's Mustang Concept Hood but i have no idea if this is a good hood.
Also for exhaust I was debating with Borla Stingers (either FRPP or Borla) or Flowmasters. Flowmasters seem cheaper and more worth it but I'm not sure which sounds better or which is better quality like HP gains (which i know is not much). Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
539 Posts
IMO the SLP Loudmouths are a deep "loud" exhaust. The Steeda's,or Borlas are nice as well. The FRRP's from what I hear are just a little louder than stock. In all cases HP gain is min. AS for the hood?? Just get a CAI for HP gain. If your wanting looks shaker hood, faux scoop (GT hood) or the GT500 hood. All in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
IMO the SLP Loudmouths are a deep "loud" exhaust. The Steeda's,or Borlas are nice as well. The FRRP's from what I hear are just a little louder than stock. In all cases HP gain is min. AS for the hood?? Just get a CAI for HP gain. If your wanting looks shaker hood, faux scoop (GT hood) or the GT500 hood. All in my opinion.
The FRPP Stingers are a lot louder than stock. I think you're referring to the GTAs. Do agree that the SLPs are great with an otherwise stock exhaust.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
I've been looking online for hoods for my mustang and I was curious about hoods with Ram Air induction systems with them as well. Does anybody know of any good hoods out there? I saw one online called Cervini's Mustang Concept Hood but i have no idea if this is a good hood.
Also for exhaust I was debating with Borla Stingers (either FRPP or Borla) or Flowmasters. Flowmasters seem cheaper and more worth it but I'm not sure which sounds better or which is better quality like HP gains (which i know is not much). Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks!
The Flowmasters are cheaper but they are aluminized steel (except the tips) and will rust. I've run both and much prefer the Ford Racing mufflers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Flowmasters are cheaper but they are aluminized steel (except the tips) and will rust. I've run both and much prefer the Ford Racing mufflers.
Alright that sounds good, just curious though but how hard are these things to install? Any necessary tools needed or should i just stick with a professional? Also how long and whats the diameter on the tips of the Ford racing ones?
And also what about hood scoops with ram air?...any suggestions?:scratchchin

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Alright that sounds good, just curious though but how hard are these things to install? Any necessary tools needed or should i just stick with a professional? Also how long and whats the diameter on the tips of the Ford racing ones?
Axlebacks are an easy install with open end wrenches and sockets. Just be sure to have some bandaids standing by :) As for the hoods, they look nice but are more for show than go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not all companies making ram air hoods are equal. There is a good write up at:

Hood Quality

In addition to searching on a couple of forums like you are doing, ask a few of your local body shops about their experience with different vendors as all will claim to have good quality but the guys doing the installs see what really gets delivered.

Also make sure the hood you look at is truly functional. Many companies call their hoods ram air but really are just providing open scoops. You may need to add an extra ram air kit to make it functional. then you need to see if those kits incorporate important features like water management so you can still drive when the rain starts.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Axlebacks are an easy install with open end wrenches and sockets. Just be sure to have some bandaids standing by :) As for the hoods, they look nice but are more for show than go.
Well thats good to hear, I might just do it myself for a little weekend project then. One more thing as well, anybody know of a good lowering kit? FRPP looks good but i don't know if i wanna blow 1k on all that other stuffs, i just wanna lower her and make her look nicer...also how hard is that to install bymyself as well? I have a good quality jack...but again dunno if i should do it myself...(I'm a noob so bear with me)

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Well thats good to hear, I might just do it myself for a little weekend project then. One more thing as well, anybody know of a good lowering kit? FRPP looks good but i don't know if i wanna blow 1k on all that other stuffs, i just wanna lower her and make her look nicer...also how hard is that to install bymyself as well? I have a good quality jack...but again dunno if i should do it myself...(I'm a noob so bear with me)
The FRPP handling kit is very good. It uses Eibach springs. Not terribly hard to do in your garage. Just need a spring compressor for the front.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sweet thanks for the help...i might just let a pro install the springs though...i just got basic tools...
One finally question and that is cold air intakes. I know this has been asked a million times but if ya got a thread about cold air let me know. I'm looking at JLT intakes or C&L intakes...I take it both require a tune and both are fairly equal but again how difficult would this be to install bymyself? (including tune) I'd like to do it myself but i got basic tools and really don't wanna screw this car up...thanks again for the help

·
Registered
726 Posts
The cold air kits and tunes are easy to install. I like my JLT, they are easy to install and they paint them to match the color of you car. Take about 30 min. to install, you need a screw driver and a 10mm socket(I think is 10mm)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
sweet thanks for the help...i might just let a pro install the springs though...i just got basic tools...
One finally question and that is cold air intakes. I know this has been asked a million times but if ya got a thread about cold air let me know. I'm looking at JLT intakes or C&L intakes...I take it both require a tune and both are fairly equal but again how difficult would this be to install bymyself? (including tune) I'd like to do it myself but i got basic tools and really don't wanna screw this car up...thanks again for the help
You can install the CAI and tune yourself... It's very easy. Use the search for CAI and you will find plenty of good info. I have the JLT II, with Xcal II from Bamachips, and I'm very happy with it. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sweet, sounds all good then, thanks for the help guys, i'll keep ya posted what i end up doing

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you are considering hoods think about the following as well.

1 - Ask them about windshield washers and where they mount.
Believe me, you WILL want to ask this before you get a hood.
(4 months and no washer nozzles yet and I work at a feed mill)

2 - Have at least two friends over when you swap hoods.
Makes it easier to install and a lot safer for paint jobs and alignments.
(I have removed many hoods both alone and with friends, well worth the price of beer to get help)

3 - Find out if it needs hood pins.
The retro hood with the CJ or Boss 429 scoops usually don't need pins.
(If you need pins, buy the long ones. Mr Gasket looks long enough but is about an inch too short. I now have two holes in my hood after measuring and re-measuring only to find out after the fact.:so)

Just my personal experiences and opinions. I learned long ago to learn from other people's mistakes and not make them yourself and you will grow much older and much richer for it. As for the older part, so far so good.:bigthumbsup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.