Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 65 coupe and I have noticed a bow in the fiberglass trunk lid. Was wondering if you guys had an answer on how to fix this?, where to go to fix this?, is it possible to fix? etc because I can't find a definite answer. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Don't know where the bow is or how bad it is, but a body shop would pile more fiberglass on if it's possible. You can't really reshape fiberglass once it's already formed. Welcome to fiberglass body parts.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean the trunk has like a general curve. I've heard that it has to do with the tension rods/springs that are in the trunk, that they're somehow too heavy duty for the fiberglass since they were intended for metal or something, and that may cause the trunk lid to curve a little. Any word on this?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I know it's not recommended to use the stock springs with a fiberglass hood so I can't imagine the trunk would be much different. I'd try changing the tension on the trunk lid so it doesn't pop up when you unlock it. Not sure what to say about the curve, you'll probably have to have a body shop fix that.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I mean the trunk has like a general curve. I've heard that it has to do with the tension rods/springs that are in the trunk, that they're somehow too heavy duty for the fiberglass since they were intended for metal or something, and that may cause the trunk lid to curve a little. Any word on this?
There's **** tons of torque in those things to pop up a heavy metal deck lid. They're under a ton of strain when closed so yes, that could easily distort your deck lid. You maybe have to consider taking the torsion bars out and use a prop rod when you need to keep the trunk open.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats totally what I was thinking, to take them out and put in a hood prop or something like that in the trunk. Would you know the best way to take those things out? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
there is a homemade tool you can make yourself, it just requires a 14" length of steel bar 1" wide and 1/8" thick. I went to a metal fabricator and had him cut me a piece, then put a 90 degree bend in it at 8". A notch is cut in the end and a hole is drilled about 3/4" inch away from the notch. I don't expect you to visualize this. There are plans for it out there somewhere, I might even have mine saved away somewhere. i have a picture of it I can post for you. It makes removal of these incredibly scary torsion bars much safer and easier.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Here are the plans for how to make the tool I was describing. If you go to a welding shop and ask them for this length of steel flatbar and bend a 90 degree angle at the right length it will only cost $5 or so.

I am going to make a blog entry on how the tool is used and how to install the torsion bars. I can update as soon as I have it done.

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
I just took unbolted the hinges popped off that one like push on type nut an popped the torsion bar out an then reinstalled the hinges. Maybe I'm missing why you'd need the tool?

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
the tool is useful if you have the trunk deck already adjusted nicely and/or don't want to remove the hinges. The tool installs or removes the torsion bars in about 10 seconds.

With that being said, it took me over two years to finally muster up enough courage to do it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Oh gotcha, I was gonna say its pretty easy with hinges pulled haha. But makes sense now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts