Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so, I dont know what causes it but sometimes when I go to fill up I cant press full power on the gas nozzel cause then it just stops like it would if the tank was full, except I fill up at like quarter or half (mostly quarter but if i have to stop at a gas station to get a monster for workout or something) so does anyone else get this? I jsut had the problem where if i move it around in different variations of power (power = how much the handle is pulled down to let the gas out) or depending on how far in I put the nozzel or how much i pull the nozel out, most of the time it'll stil stop when i push full power, a few exceptions when i pushed the gas nozzel all the way in and hit full power it was fine.. its annoying!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
It's a well know problem. Take it to your dealer and they may put a new gas tank in. They did for me and no problems since then.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had my tank replaced, and it fixed it for the most part. It seems that the original tank had a defect and there is a TSB out about it and ford will repalce it for free. Shell and other gas stations have some air lock thing with their pumps which messes with the tank, for some reason when I had my defect tank it was only affected at high end gas stations, but little mom and pop stations worked fine. Even now with my new tank I gotta let my tank air out for like 60 seconds or so before filling up, but then it works fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have noticed that only at a certain pump at a certain station this problem occurs with my car. I have been filling up at a Sunoco station for a while now because the price drops a lot on Friday nights after work. It will happen at a certain pump.

·
Registered
559 Posts
lostsk8r said:
Ok so, I dont know what causes it but sometimes when I go to fill up I cant press full power on the gas nozzel cause then it just stops like it would if the tank was full, except I fill up at like quarter or half (mostly quarter but if i have to stop at a gas station to get a monster for workout or something) so does anyone else get this? I jsut had the problem where if i move it around in different variations of power (power = how much the handle is pulled down to let the gas out) or depending on how far in I put the nozzel or how much i pull the nozel out, most of the time it'll stil stop when i push full power, a few exceptions when i pushed the gas nozzel all the way in and hit full power it was fine.. its annoying!
Dear Lostsk8r,

You're right!!!

I live in Chicago and the pumps at the Citgo gas station in my neighborhood will not allow me to fill my tank, much like your problem...

Across the street is a Shell gas station and I have no problems with filling the tank there...

It must be a special pressure sensor in the pump handle...

So I avoid the Citgo station and go for Shell or Amoco gas...

It's not your car bro, it's the gas station pump pressure sensors...

Dave

·
Registered
403 Posts
discofan said:
It's not your car bro, it's the gas station pump pressure sensors...

Dave
I dunno, but I gotta disagree- at least on my car...only filled three times, first two times a second AFTER pump clicked off car puked gas all overitself and the ground- sorry, but this is like my 14th car and NEVER, EVER, AT ANY GAS SATION, has any other vehicle ever refused to take gas or puked gas all over after filling in the 25 years Ive been driving- let alone done both the first two fill ups. tried yet another station last night, put nozzle in normal, low setting and waited.............................filled up without puking for first time(still dribbled out the drain under the gas cap, but wont count that - as long as it aint pouring down the side of the car I'm OK with it. Certain pumps are better, but the tank/fill tube is weird- ever look at it? its probably close to 4 feet long...goes down/up around behind spring, down to one side of tank...and aint much bigger than a garden hose either.
I love the car but the gas fill thing is just the goofy way they designed the tank/tube...as long as I can get gas in to drive it, I'll happily be driving it :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
ford4v429 said:
...pump clicked off, car puked gas all over itself and the ground... low setting still dribbled out the drain under the gas cap...
Mine does the same thing. '06 btw. If that's the fix from '05 I'm not impressed but I'll cope. Perhaps my car shoulda came with a NASCAR overflow can. HA.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Got my GT in Sept. 05. I have been experiencing this problem from day 1. Finally got fed up with it and took it to the dealer last Monday. They ordered a new tank right away. No hassle. Tank came in yesterday, hope to have the car back tomorrow afternoon. They gave me a brand new Ford Focus to drive all week while they had my car. Man does this thing run. I went from 0-50 in 18 seconds. I get all kinds of looks from women as I pass by them. Mostly looks of disgust and pity. Please give me back my mustang.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Zrullac said:
Got my GT in Sept. 05. I have been experiencing this problem from day 1. Finally got fed up with it and took it to the dealer last Monday. They ordered a new tank right away. No hassle. Tank came in yesterday, hope to have the car back tomorrow afternoon. They gave me a brand new Ford Focus to drive all week while they had my car. Man does this thing run. I went from 0-50 in 18 seconds. I get all kinds of looks from women as I pass by them. Mostly looks of disgust and pity. Please give me back my mustang.
They fixed my tank in 2 hours :eyepoppin! Hopefully you get yours all worked out!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Spoke to the dealer service rep today. Seems that when they tried to install the new tank, the filler hose was the wrong one and they had to get a new one from a parts dept from a different dealer. My question is, doesn't the new tank come with the proper filler tube. Isn't the stock tube the problem in the first place. Now the dealer says the car might not be ready today. Thats a whole week to replace my tank not counting this weekend.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got a new tank put in during summer. It worked perfectly for awhile, but lately it has been acting up. It just did it this morning. It took me 10 minutes to put $13 in my tank. I'm going back for another tank!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ok guy and gals,

I need some help here. My dealer just called and said my car would be ready tomorrow morning. My dealer is not taking care of my gas fill problem like I would have them do it. Can someone direct me to a link that has the Ford TSB description for the gas tank problem and the specified fix for it. My dealer is telling me that they are only going to change out the tank and not the filler tube between the tank and the filler receptacle. They said if I am still experiencing a problem then they will change out the tube. Does this procedure follow the directions given in the TSB. Thanks

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Zrullac said:
LOL!!! Oh man! Stop. Oh boy that was funny. Chicks check you out with that little sneer of disgust, you know? Where the lip curls ever so slightly as the eyebrows come down also slightly. Like they are looking at a child abuser. They are certainly thinking "I can do wayyyy better."

If you think "Well, what would I do if I owned one of these as my only car?"

*Try* not to end that thought with "I'd kill myself"

BTW, my '69 VW bus used to do 0-50 in 18 seconds. Full throttle baby.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts