Votes: 31 23.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So I know there are TONS of posts out there but I figured I would start a quick pole comparing the final 3 CAI systems I'm looking at. Looks wise, I feel that both BBK and JLT take the cake, but price and performance wise I'm hearing that airade is the way to go.

Yes, I realize Airaid is not spelled correctly in the pole, waking up hung over and jumping on the forums to post perhaps was a bad idea, but I'm addicted.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
IMO BBK is crap.

Most all the CAI's out that are non-tune required make about the same power so it is basically up to what you like the looks of best and the price you are willing to pay.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I just ordered the JLT/Tuner combo from AM. What might influence your decision the most is that AM is currently out of stock on the JLT CAI, and they anticipate having it back in stock in 1-2 weeks. I'm not sure if that would push you towards the Airaid to get t faster, or towards the JLT as it must be good of its out of stock and everyone and their grandmother is ordering it, but to each their own.

For what it's worth, I went with the JLT for a couple reasons, first being as you said, It just looks better than the Airaid. Second, I like the Carbon Fiber piece and the heat shielding. While the Airaid may produce a couple HP/torque more on the dyno, I believe the JLT will perform better under actual driving conditions do to it's superior manufacturing. I do not have any evidence to back this up other than my limited knowledge of the manufacturing process and what I'd consider to be common knowledge. :smartass:

Also, you spelled "Poll" wrong...lol :heha:

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just ordered the JLT/Tuner combo from AM. What might influence your decision the most is that AM is currently out of stock on the JLT CAI, and they anticipate having it back in stock in 1-2 weeks. I'm not sure if that would push you towards the Airaid to get t faster, or towards the JLT as it must be good of its out of stock and everyone and their grandmother is ordering it, but to each their own.

For what it's worth, I went with the JLT for a couple reasons, first being as you said, It just looks better than the Airaid. Second, I like the Carbon Fiber piece and the heat shielding. While the Airaid may produce a couple HP/torque more on the dyno, I believe the JLT will perform better under actual driving conditions do to it's superior manufacturing. I do not have any evidence to back this up other than my limited knowledge of the manufacturing process and what I'd consider to be common knowledge. :smartass:

Also, you spelled "Poll" wrong...lol :heha:
I spelled poll wrong... for the love of god.... no more 4 am nights for me! Let's just chalk this up as I'm an idiot, :sigh:

And yes, the JLT carbon fiber piece is very attractive to me, decisions decisions.

This will all be tied into the dynomax catback exhaust and a bama tune within the month or so as well, in case it makes a difference.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I spelled poll wrong... for the love of god.... no more 4 am nights for me! Let's just chalk this up as I'm an idiot, :sigh:

And yes, the JLT carbon fiber piece is very attractive to me, decisions decisions.

This will all be tied into the dynomax catback exhaust and a bama tune within the month or so as well, in case it makes a difference.
I am using the Airaid with the Dynomax and very pleased with the results. The Airiad looks great under the hood (but who really sees that - that often?). The Airaid has the tightest fit and all the connections you need are built in. I felt the power boost after the Airaid was installed (and it sounds great) and then even more after the Dynomax was installed.

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
the airaid is nice i just installed mine , very durable , tubing is thick and the interior finish is smoothed out. Feels like it was built to really keep the engine heat out. Once i install my ceramic LT headers , hopefully things get even cooler inside the engine bay.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Steeda does make a V6 CAI, it is a tune required one though since the MAF is higher than stock.

Anyone know if the BAMA guys would be able to make a tune for the Steeda CAI instead of buying the Steeda Proflow tune package that includes tune + SCT tuner.

I'm interested in one but already own a SCT tuner, might just give them a call and find out.

·
Registered
670 Posts
that's going to be a hard decision for me so i guess it'll really depend on what's in stock. price-wise (and fitment from what i keep reading) i'd go airade but looks wise i'd go jlt. guess we see when the time comes

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, votes for airaid are coming in strong, I'm surprised in the lack of votes for the bbk, it looked pretty cool. I have a few friends here locally who said they didn't really have any trouble installing their C&L or JLT but when I tried out airaid it was just such an easy fit.

J

·
0 Posts
American Muscle on Youtube

A.M. has videos on youtube showing the "11 V6 CAI's. They cover the installation then show the dyno's all done on the same car in the same shop, with the same gas. The JLT CAI makes more HP than all of them over a broader rpm range, and several more pounds of tourqe than any of them as well.
Also the carbon fiber is less prone to heat soak than the black plastic tubes, and looks Waaaay cooler too. The Airaid does make a tight seal, but they've always been the cheap, budget airfilter and it looks it under the hood. I just couldn't spend more on a C&L or Airaid, or whatever and get less power than the JLT for less money. There's my opinion, and how I made my decision.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A.M. has videos on youtube showing the "11 V6 CAI's. They cover the installation then show the dyno's all done on the same car in the same shop, with the same gas. The JLT CAI makes more HP than all of them over a broader rpm range, and several more pounds of tourqe than any of them as well.
Also the carbon fiber is less prone to heat soak than the black plastic tubes, and looks Waaaay cooler too. The Airaid does make a tight seal, but they've always been the cheap, budget airfilter and it looks it under the hood. I just couldn't spend more on a C&L or Airaid, or whatever and get less power than the JLT for less money. There's my opinion, and how I made my decision.
Thanks for the reply! There's no question about it, the JLT looks better, no contest. I have heard MANY people claim more power to the airaid however, and one of the JLT videos I watched showed the HP increase on the JLT to be higher, but the Torque on the airaid to be larger, but we are talking by 1-2 here so when it comes to performance, I can't make my decision on that... I guess I need to decide if the cooler looks are worth the money.

I surely understand how the carbon fiber would hold up better to heat than plastic, but I'm not exactly racing on a daily basis, if I was it would be a different story.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The Airaid does make a tight seal, but they've always been the cheap, budget airfilter and it looks it under the hood.
That's what my shop said/thought until they ordered and installed my CAI. They said the build was MUCH better than previous Airaid units, and IMO the Airaid looks very cool under the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Those are some interesting assertions, especially since ive watched those same videos... I think you may have a little bit of owners bias. When measuring intake manifold temperatures, the airaid remained the coolest while the C&L intake had a higher temperature than even the stock intake. The JLT itself is a good CAI, but i can easily see that "carbon fiber" peeling/fading/scratching etc... My friend has the 11' mustang v6 with the JLT CAI and his has dark spots all over the intake tube from engine residue overtime, not to mention i've heard his car and mine sounds much deeper and more aggressive with the airaid intake. Plus airaid features a variety of different filters with different dynamics, so what ever youre in the mood for.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those are some interesting assertions, especially since ive watched those same videos... I think you may have a little bit of owners bias. When measuring intake manifold temperatures, the airaid remained the coolest while the C&L intake had a higher temperature than even the stock intake. The JLT itself is a good CAI, but i can easily see that "carbon fiber" peeling/fading/scratching etc... My friend has the 11' mustang v6 with the JLT CAI and his has dark spots all over the intake tube from engine residue overtime, not to mention i've heard his car and mine sounds much deeper and more aggressive with the airaid intake. Plus airaid features a variety of different filters with different dynamics, so what ever youre in the mood for.
Screw it, sold... just ordered the airaid CAI!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Steeda CAI

I'd love a v6 Steeda if they made it, but I hopped on the Memorial Day sale at AM for the JLT+Tuner.
They do...I've had one since April. Love it. Trying out the Bama 93R tune. Not real impressed with the Bama Race tune yet. Going to run it for another week to give it a chance.
It seems to upshift to 4th way too quick unless your constantly WOT. I would prefer the tune holding third a little longer at half throttle. Notified Bama, hope they can
address this issue. I've heard too many good things about them to believe this is their best effort.

J

·
0 Posts
Haha, ditto on the owner bias brother, sounds like buyer remorse on your part! More power less money! Way Better looks too! No marks on mine after 9 months of hard driving. Glad you enjoy the sound of your Airaid, enjoy. But I stand by the cheaper/lesser airfilter and the dyno test don't lie, specially the same car, same gas, same dyno, same driver more power from the JLT.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 176 Posts