Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK waiting on my paycheck so i can order my gears and for some reason i have a odd feeling in my gut to maybe go back and reconsider the 373

at 80mph the 390s would be at 2736RPM
at 80mph the 373s would be at 2616RPM
with stock gears
at 80mph the 327s would be at 2294RPM

This info is according to the AFM Calculator
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/608.shtml

with the gears in tranny adjusted for a TR3650 not a T5.

what should i go with. Please dont say GO with 4.10s thats out of question.

I drive about 900miles a month i drive daily and i cant aford my engine blowing or tranny going out.

but i am into performance so.....
what should i do

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would say go with the 3.73 gears. I have them in the Cobra and I am really pleased with them. I can tell a huge difference in the 3.73's over the stock gears. I think that they are better on the highway especialy if you have to get on the throttle a little.:winks Just my opinion!

·
Registered
93 Posts
3.73's or 4.10's

I had 3.73's in my 2003 and they really made a difference over the 3.23's!
Still pretty good mileage on the highway as well.

My '05 has 4.10's which are absolutely Awesome!

It is not a daily driver so 4.10's are not impacting my wallet as much as it would yours.

Best all around late model dual purpose gears are IMHO the 3.73's!

Regards Paul

·
Registered
364 Posts
After 6 or 8 PMs on this subject, you know what I'll say.....

:)

Go for it dude!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But land i got no money to be fixing a motor or trans if the 390s are too much...... my buddies SS needs new synchros 800bucks

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think i am going to do the 390s because at 75mph the rpm diff is like 120rpm... so i figure if its going to blow up it will blow up reguardless if i do 373 or 390

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently had 3.73's installed in my mostly stock 99, and have seen a noticeable increase in acceleration....also noticeable is how much quicker the car runs out of gear. It is for this reason that I'd not want the 3.90's....IMHO 3.73 is the perfect ratio for everyday driving. Do not purchase Richmond Gears if you are concerned about gear whine. Although tolerable, the Richmond set has created a bit more noise than I had expected.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what you driven your GT with the 373s at track, cuz according to calculator with my 390s id top 4th gear at 118 which i dont think ill be doing so... i dotn know what is your 1/4 time with gears if you have run it. ? anythign else ?

horseplayer said:
I recently had 3.73's installed in my mostly stock 99, and have seen a noticeable increase in acceleration....also noticeable is how much quicker the car runs out of gear. It is for this reason that I'd not want the 3.90's....IMHO 3.73 is the perfect ratio for everyday driving. Do not purchase Richmond Gears if you are concerned about gear whine. Although tolerable, the Richmond set has created a bit more noise than I had expected.

·
Registered
736 Posts
All I'm gonna say is "Don't fear the gear!"

G

·
3.73's in my 02 GT... fourth gear hit redline (5800) at about 117 or 118 mph... With the power I was making, I regret 3.73's. But since you are N/A, 3.73's is a good gear choice in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.