Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need the owners of the K&N Cold Air intake to give me your opinions. Right now i am planning on ordering it, but just wanted to consult first. Are the gains noticeable? Does it really not need a retune? Is it worth the money? Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
05 SatinSylvia said:
I need the owners of the K&N Cold Air intake to give me your opinions. Right now i am planning on ordering it, but just wanted to consult first. Are the gains noticeable? Does it really not need a retune? Is it worth the money? Thanks
I think its worth it. I can feel and definatly hear a difference.
I just got my Xcal2 tuner today, so once I put the tune on as well I'm sure it will make a huge difference, but even without the tune its great.

·
Registered
196 Posts
dekujala said:
I think its worth it. I can feel and definatly hear a difference.
I just got my Xcal2 tuner today, so once I put the tune on as well I'm sure it will make a huge difference, but even without the tune its great.
I agree. works well and no tune needed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wait!!!

K&N will be coming out with a new CAI that will be a billet intake, not the plastic one they have now. They used my car as a mule for testing. The new product should be out within a month. I will update when I receive mine.

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's just great LOL Think they will trade in my plastic one? :weeps

·
Registered
186 Posts
Fontech said:
K&N will be coming out with a new CAI that will be a billet intake, not the plastic one they have now. They used my car as a mule for testing. The new product should be out within a month. I will update when I receive mine.
If they are charging 250+ for the plastic one, can't wait to see how much they charge for billet :shocked:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Cold Air kits

I use the C&L kits on both my cars. It's my understanding that a reflash is required to get the maximum performance from the kits. Without the re-flash the computer will eventually retune itself back to factory settings. This was substantiated by running a similarly equipped unflashed car against mine at the track and posting a .6 better 1/8th mile run. I'm a newbie so forgive me for jumping in.

·
Registered
186 Posts
2horseowner said:
I use the C&L kits on both my cars. It's my understanding that a reflash is required to get the maximum performance from the kits. Without the re-flash the computer will eventually retune itself back to factory settings. This was substantiated by running a similarly equipped unflashed car against mine at the track and posting a .6 better 1/8th mile run. I'm a newbie so forgive me for jumping in.
The K&N is the only one as far as I know that does not require a re-tune. I was running it without a tune for the past month and it works great. According to some dyno numbers I've seen 15rwhp without a tune, I didn't dyno mine, but you could feel it.

As far as your experience I'm sure that the difference if the cars where identical could have easily been driver, best way to see if it changed over time would probably be dyno numbers to compare rather than track times where many factors can play into it.

I just installed a tune today and it helps even more, especially with shift points adjusted etc on the auto.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What's the final verdict on the hydrocarbon trap? In or out? I just got my car last week and this will be a mod that I want to do after some breakin. Since my car was built in July, 05 it shouldn't have the HC trap. K&N's instructions still say to leave the HC trap in.

·
Registered
186 Posts
pjdami said:
What's the final verdict on the hydrocarbon trap? In or out? I just got my car last week and this will be a mod that I want to do after some breakin. Since my car was built in July, 05 it shouldn't have the HC trap. K&N's instructions still say to leave the HC trap in.
I did have the HC trap and was curious myself when I got my K&N, I got alot of responses to the same question roughly but on another board. Had alot of people who had it say they left it out without issues, so I would assume you would be fine. I decided to put it in when I did get mine and recently took it out when I got a tuner.

·
Registered
196 Posts
pjdami said:
Open that puppy up and see if it is there. My take is you won't find it. :)

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I thought I read somewhere, maybe even from K&N that it is better to have the rubber intake because the billet one gets hot and hot air is no good.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Waxed'05 GT said:
I thought I read somewhere, maybe even from K&N that it is better to have the rubber intake because the billet one gets hot and hot air is no good.
I know you GT'ers will not care...but if you check out the K&N site for the V6; the polished "Typhoon" CAI provides LESS HP increase over the original black plastic model. I think I'll go for the original one. I don't really do shows...just want the little increase in HP and that lovely intake sound!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts