Ford Mustang Forum banner

Finally did HCI swap... and now she wont start

2K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  MustangGTpower 
#1 ·
So I finally got the cash together to do my HCI thats been sitting for 3 months. Boy was this a project, i didnt realize how in depth it was but anyway i got it all back together adn filled up the coolant adn it starts pissing out the back so i re torque the lower intake adn its good to go so i go to fire her up and it cranks fine but no start.... im getting pressure but no spark it seems. timing is @ 10* everythings plugged in so what now guys???

#4 ·
i didnt set the timing my friend did but i can double check and how do you set the tps?

#5 ·
The TPS sensor will have 3 wires going into it. 1 will be a ground, 1 will be a 5v reference voltage, and the final one is what the TPS is set as. Going from the ground to your setting loosen the 2 screws holding it on and slightly rotate the sensor until your meter reads about .96 V. It doesn't have to be perfect, as there is a large range that the computer considers acceptable. If you cannot get down low enough replace the sensor.

#7 ·
Yea i have a stock ignition and nope itsspot on just not getting spark. Could the coil be cooked? Im puzzled guys please help! Would the tps make that big of a difference?

#8 ·
Just an example here Sinister. If the TPS is busted and putting out all 5v when it should only be putting out .9ish it is telling the computer you're at WOT when you should be sitting at idle. So the computer is going to dump fuel in to match the air that should be flowing into the engine. Not saying this is your problem but the TPS needs to be set properly either way.

#9 ·
Yea that makes sense i just cant figure out why im not getting spark. Could the ignition coil crap out

#11 ·
So i tested it and the red wire is getting power but whats the green wire on the coil plug? Also its getting power but nuttin to the dizzy so i tryed a buddys coil and still nuttin.????? WTF! My daily drivers outta comission?
:yelpleased:
Should i try a used dizzy from my buddy

#12 ·
So i swapped dizzys and shes alive!

#13 ·
heres the final product

Attachments

#17 ·
Yes i speak English very well actually....but let me break it down for you. Dizzy = distributor. Just because youve never heard the fdrm before (whic is hard to beleive), doesnt mean you need to act like i just typed something so unreadable. A simple search on google could reveal that dizzy was distributor

#18 ·
So now that English class is over, what will i need to set TPS? Also what do you guys think i should be running for timing roughly?

Also im doing a MAF swap any tips or tricks before i do it or is itt pretty straight forward

#23 ·
The hardest part is making sure the air flow arrow points the right direction... I have seen(and had someone do it to my car while working on it!) it many times. And to clear that up air flows into the motor not out... so point the air flow arrow the right way :smartass: But its a really simple swap.

#19 ·
So guys i got the little over excited because i tried.messin with the.distributor and it wont.start.just pop and.hiccup guys........ whats up?

#20 ·
Sounds like you're a tooth off on the dizzy (distributor for some of you). Bring the rotor under the cap so it's pointing right at the #1 plug, don't worry about being on the compression stroke...you have a 50/50 chance. Once you get the rotor pointing to number 1 pull the dizzy out, set it back in. Attempt to start the car, if it just cranks and cranks then you're 180 out. Again point the rotor to number 1 (this will be repeated until you find the compression stroke) and pull the dizzy...set it back in. If it's not a tooth off it will fire right up and run. I get the idea you don't know your way around the dizzy very well, so this is the easiest way, for you, to do this. OR...pull the number 1 plug and put your thumb over the hole. Have the motor turned over until you feel air pushing on your thumb..this is your compression stroke. A buddy is needed for this if you don't have a starter button.

#21 ·
yea youre right im just learning but that does make sense and as sson as i get home ill be trying that. thanks for the advice man.. wish me luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.