Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
It has been sometime since I have posted and just wanted to say that I have finally finished the engine rebuild! I am having some issues getting it to stay idling and was wondering if I could get some suggestions on what to do or tweak in order to accomplish this.
Everything is new on the top end of the motor. I have been reading about how to adjust the TPS and was wondering if that might be it? I also thought maybe my stock fuel pump was not able to get fuel to the injectors fast enough? I really don’t know at this point because this is my very first build and I am just glad it started and didn’t destroy anything internally…..:kooky:
I will be posting a video of what it does when I start it up. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. I have been working on this build almost a year and a half and can’t wait to get it on the road. The mods are listed below.
Trick Flow Track Heat upper and lower intake
bbk TB 75mm and EGR
bbk fender well cold air
76 MAF c&l
24lb injectors
bbk Fuel rails
Trick Flow stage 2 cam (did the PTV check with no issues)
Mac headers
Bassani catted h pipe dumped to flow masters

GT40 Heads (Irons)
1.6 RR’s
Trick Flow Valve springs
Bbk fuel pressure reg

·
Registered
505 Posts
Likely is the TPS. I had to drill out my two whole mounts and use a volt gauge to get my idle corrected. You have done a few things all at the same time so I would check that first. Its not your fuel pump unless its just gone bad. You havent out modded your stock fuel pump. But of course will need to be upgraded soon.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Some TPS's don't give enough slide room to adjust properly. You'll need to elongate the holes where it attaches to the TB for more adjustability. A drill works great for doing this. You're basically boring out the hole.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yeah just open the holes on the TPS sensor. Not a lot. A dremel tool works great. You want to open them up from side to side. Not up and down. If that make sense.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool! Thanks for the help and I am trying to get a chance to post a video of how it sounds and what it does, soon. Thanks for all your help....:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I got the mustang to idle with out dieing. It just surges from 1000rpm to 2000rpm constantly but will not die. any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you running a stock computer? Are you looking at a Tweecer or something to adjust things? That might help, though the learning curve is a little steep.

Usually a surging idle means that you're running rich. You might try dropping the fuel pressure a little, you can also drill a couple of small holes in the throttle body plate. I don't recall how big they are supposed to be, but google should show something.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am running a stock computer. What is the best way to check for vacuum leaks? The only vacuum hoses I capped were the ones on the passenger side that have 4 hoses coming from a rubber peice that break down from somewhere. Again, this is my first build so if by capping these are wrong please let me know where they need to run to. Thanks for all the help!! This site rocks....:bigthumbsup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts