Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually listen to talk radio and sports talk radio in my cars, which on any sound system typically sounds fine, but this weekend I took a long drive down the Natchez Trace in my '13 V6 (with the base stereo), popped in a CD to listen to some music, and to say it mildly, my sound system suck$ big time.

Is there anything I can do at a fairly reasonable cost to upgrade my base stereo to make it sound (at least) somewhat decent?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Change the crap speakers. Makes it a lot better. But without spending big money on the stupid dash kit for an aftermarket radio. There's no way to make it that much better for cheap

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Im thinking the same way. I hear guys are changing the front speakers . A lot of them are going with Pioneer units. Anyone have the model numbers for the speakers ?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
whats so bad about the stock system?? lol I guess I'm not really a sound system guy but still..my car is my speakers!:D

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I usually rock the treble all the way up And bass in the middle. It helps... but nothing compared to my system in my jeep with two amps, a sub and 4 kicker speakers.

My advice is get a better exhaust. The radio becomes less of a priority then haha

·
Registered
61 Posts
My hearing isn't all that good, but I stuck my head in the trunk the other day and was appalled about how cheap the speakers in the rear deck look.

It's hard to screw up a stereo, even a cheap one will have good sound, albeit maybe not much power. A lot of the fluff about stereo performance is pure BS.

But cheap speakers can really screw up your sound, and the stock ones are very cheap.

Crutchfield lists a few options for rear deck speakers for the Mustang, which should be easy to install, not terribly expensive. $50 to $100

Has anybody tried any of these?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
At minimum I'd change out all four speakers. At least then you can fade the front enough to hear the back speakers and have stereo sound. I'm not a fan of running only the front speakers. By themselves, the location in the door is not conducive to high fidelity or anything close.

But without spending big money on the stupid dash kit for an aftermarket radio.
Fact or myth?

I see a lot of people putting a new head unit in, spending $1000+. I kept the stock radio, picked up a 5 channel amp, four new speakers and an 8" sub. Sounds terrific, especially if you like to play CDs or MP3s etc. I've got Satellite radio and it still sounds great.

Do I think a quality HU will sound better? Yes, but its not necessary for a decent sounding system. For a $1000 upgrade, I prefer to keep the stock HU and upgrade elsewhere. I can drive with the windows down at 70 mph and the stereo sounds terrific. A dashboard that looks stock is not necessarily a bad thing either, if you are out and about a lot.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-v6-mustang-tech/299843-speaker-swap-out-suggestions-2.html#post2610234

B

·
0 Posts
Im thinking the same way. I hear guys are changing the front speakers . A lot of them are going with Pioneer units. Anyone have the model numbers for the speakers ?
I have a Shaker 500, so I am not sure what kind of speakers the base car has. I simply replaced the front door speakers with Pioneer TS-A6874Rs and was so happy with them, I've done nothing else with my system since. I think as long as you get speakers with 40-60watt nominal output, you should be okay. You can fit 6x8 or 5x7 (with adapters) into the spot.

The OEM speakers are very crappy quality. They were so crappy, I threw them in the garbage vs try to sell them on craigslist. Honestly for $50 you can dramatically improve the sound. If you are still disappointed, you only spent $50 and it wouldn't put a dent into a new amp and speaker setup. The install is very easy and there are a few videos on youtube showing how to do it. Takes about an hour to two (or six if you're okie).

The Kicker speakers you can buy from Shelby are also pretty popular too.

For disclosure, I have tinnitus, so much so, I have a 10% rating from the VA for it. Don't feel sorry for me. It comes in handy when the missus is unhappy with me.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
The mid-range is the only thing I'd say that suffers on mine (Shaker 500). Would be curious to see what speakers will bring that up to par.

I see that my response was too slow. Thank you for the input, Hog! :bigthumbsup

B

·
0 Posts
I usually rock the treble all the way up And bass in the middle. It helps... but nothing compared to my system in my jeep with two amps, a sub and 4 kicker speakers.

My advice is get a better exhaust. The radio becomes less of a priority then haha
I guess my hearing isn't that bad then. I too turn the treble all the way up, but can only place the bass between 1-3 depending on the type of music. I adjust the fade depending on whether I want more or less backfill. Led Zeppelin does not need as much backfill lol. I also leave the system in "all seats" mode vs "driver" mode. I don't like how the system basically just puts most of the sound in the driver door versus try to fill the cockpit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think the premium (it really isn't a Shaker 500, they dropped it down in the 2013) speakers were lousy. Mine were 5 1/4" and glued. Bought a adapter from 2010 Mustang and put in 6x8 Kickers.

Sent from my Nexus 7

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I have a Shaker 500, so I am not sure what kind of speakers the base car has. I simply replaced the front door speakers with Pioneer TS-A6874Rs and was so happy with them, I've done nothing else with my system since. I think as long as you get speakers with 40-60watt nominal output, you should be okay. You can fit 6x8 or 5x7 (with adapters) into the spot.

The OEM speakers are very crappy quality. They were so crappy, I threw them in the garbage vs try to sell them on craigslist. Honestly for $50 you can dramatically improve the sound. If you are still disappointed, you only spent $50 and it wouldn't put a dent into a new amp and speaker setup. The install is very easy and there are a few videos on youtube showing how to do it. Takes about an hour to two (or six if you're okie).

The Kicker speakers you can buy from Shelby are also pretty popular too.

For disclosure, I have tinnitus, so much so, I have a 10% rating from the VA for it. Don't feel sorry for me. It comes in handy when the missus is unhappy with me.
Thanks Hog. Do you need any type of adapters, extensions etc to install the pioneer speakers ?

B

·
0 Posts
You need the pigtail adapter. I'm not sure what the technical definition is, but they were in the box with my speakers.

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
Getting this new Mustang last year, I truly expected that the stereo's would have at least stayed the same or gotten better! My 2003 Mach 1 sounded great for a stock stereo imo. The lows, mids, highs...were all better. Chinese speakers? My Mach...I thought it sounded great and had many sunny days with the windows down, Borla stinger exhaust, and Black Label Society...Blessed Hellride.:punk:

It's low on my priority list but someday I'll get around to a slight upgrade in sound quality.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Please don't gamble and buy speakers online. One man's audio nirvana may be another man's audio hell. Go out and listen to a few before you buy. Support you local businesses. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
71 Posts
I upgraded my sons base V6, we put pioneer TS-D6802R front and rears. I used an alpine KTP-445U in line 45W 4 channel amp which fits in the recess under the head unit to amplify both sets of speakers. It also will allow you to set crossover and you will get good sound from both front and rears. MTX loaded thunderform sub in the trunk which comes with amp and sub and wiring. System sounds great for less than $700

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did my stereo right after I bought my base. 4 5x7s installed myself (had a terrible time reinstalling the back panel- never again). Added a 12in sub and 300watt amp (turned about half way up) and mine sounds okay for a $400 upgrade including sub install. I recommend sonic electronics for cheap prices. Good luck!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I did the Metra Dash with a higher end Pioneer Single Din HU, the DEH-80PRS. Speakers are 6.5" components Alpine Type R's SPR-60C's. Then a 4ch amp and a 1ch mono from NVX and a 10" sealed NVX sub.

Sounds about the same volume wise as the stock Shaker500. Just clarity and bass much better quality. I would do this mod later in line, if I did it all over again. I need new wheels now and such. But meh its all good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
555 Posts
I upgraded my sons base V6, we put pioneer TS-D6802R front and rears. I used an alpine KTP-445U in line 45W 4 channel amp which fits in the recess under the head unit to amplify both sets of speakers. It also will allow you to set crossover and you will get good sound from both front and rears. MTX loaded thunderform sub in the trunk which comes with amp and sub and wiring. System sounds great for less than $700
^^this would be a good affordable route. Sound is like exhaust opinions. Everyone thinks they are right and to each of them they are. Gotta listen to them unless you dont care too much...then just go with a decent brand name in the $50-80 range.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 82 Posts