Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Banned
2,200 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry for second note. You may not need speaker adapter. My 2013 was a premium V6 had the Shaker upgrade and had round cheaper crap with tweeter on the side, all glued. If you need these they are 2010 Mustang part and only $11.14, but order from Ford. My audio shop didn't have it. The spacer lines up with holes on the door and take any brand 6x8 coaxial speaker. Sorry don't have part number. But seems like the 2013 base stereo, but I don't know.

2010 - Ford - MUSTANG
body hardware, instrument panel, sound system, door speaker spacer COUPE Right 1 $11.14

2010 - Ford - MUSTANG
body hardware, instrument panel, sound system, door speaker spacer COUPE Left 1 $11.14

Sent from my Nexus 7

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
You need the pigtail adapter. I'm not sure what the technical definition is, but they were in the box with my speakers.

Thanks bro.....

·
Registered
558 Posts
Change the crap speakers. Makes it a lot better. But without spending big money on the stupid dash kit for an aftermarket radio. There's no way to make it that much better for cheap
I have to disagree. I updated my door speakers and then got an active processor (JBL MS-8) and it made a HUGE difference with stock head unit. It actually sounded amazing. I did amp my door speakers and rear speakers as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Administrator
13,236 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
My system sounded just fine with a few light mods (see sig).

However I've outgrown it, and I just ordered a Kenwood DVD 7 incher with Nav, a Kenwood 5 channel amp, and a nicer MTX sub for my enclosure. It's never ending, at least for me, to build a car stereo system. I'm always looking for a little more.

Kinda like crack.

·
Registered
402 Posts
i have rockford fosgate t1682 all around no base tho you will need a sub

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
Thanks for the part numbers and recipes, men. Got me started....these cars are certainly no match for my old Mach 1's factory system, which was great for shaking the mirrors of Lexuses at traffic lights.

Takes about an hour to two (or six if you're okie).

How long for upstate NY rednecks? Heck probably into a second day.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Mike, it sounds like you just want decent (pun intended) spend $100-200 and an afternoon replace all 4 speakers. Crutchfield is a good source for info at fair prices. I also Googled Crutchfield coupon code and got an extra $20 off per pair of the Focal speakers that they had in their clearance bin. I wasn't impressed with the sound at first ( no bass) but after what seemed to be close to 100 hours they've broken in and have good sound. The bass is only as good as 5x7 / 6x8 coax car speakers can be but it was a huge improvement for the $ and time invested. I wasn't looking for stupid loud bass I just like accurate sound.

J

·
0 Posts
I changed all the speakers with some high-end models and it's only slightly better. I really think the headunit sucks but also the car is just not very acoustic-friendly. I'll do a headunit/navi down the line and might even order door panels that will alow the door subs to be mounted.

B

·
0 Posts
You can also replace the subwoofers with kickers, but I don't like the grill you have to use. My stereo is good enough lol.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I changed all the speakers with some high-end models and it's only slightly better. I really think the headunit sucks but also the car is just not very acoustic-friendly. I'll do a headunit/navi down the line and might even order door panels that will alow the door subs to be mounted.
The problem with only changing the HU is they don't have enough power to drive the speakers properly. So after spending all that money on a HU, you still end up with a system that lacks high fidelity.

I'd skip subs in the doors, they easily over modulate the sound in the cabin, and cause door rattles. Subs belong in the trunk. I found an 8" sub w/ enclosure for the trunk for about $250. Most go with 10" or 12" subs, but I noticed Bose home entertainment systems have 12" subs, and figured an 8"sub would do for the car. It turned out perfect.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
412 Posts
I also found the speakers on my 2011 base v6 to be lacking. I ended up upgrading to the pioneer TS-D6803R speakers and the sound difference is amazing. So much clearer than stock, and should probably sound good for any type of music (although I mostly listen to rock and metal)

TS-D6802R - 6" x 8" 2-Way Speaker | Pioneer Electronics USA

I'm still using the stock radio and amp as I didnt want to shell out the cash to get the adapter to install an aftermarket radio and am very happy with the results. You should be able to find them for a cheaper price on ebay. The only other thing you need is a wiring harness adapter so you don't have to solder the wires to the speakers.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
That's what so great about an audio upgrade, its all good. You can do whatever you want, spend as much as you want. Tons of good stuff out there.

If I wanted a fairly cheap upgrade I'd just replace the speakers. But be careful, high power speakers will sound like crap when connected only to a HU. 50w speakers will sound much better for that application.

For a $100-200 more you can add a 4 channel amp.

The sky is the limit from there.

·
Registered
555 Posts
That's what so great about an audio upgrade, its all good. You can do whatever you want, spend as much as you want. Tons of good stuff out there.

If I wanted a fairly cheap upgrade I'd just replace the speakers. But be careful, high power speakers will sound like crap when connected only to a HU. 50w speakers will sound much better for that application.

For a $100-200 more you can add a 4 channel amp.

The sky is the limit from there.
Exactly this. If you are just doing a simple speaker upgrade on the stock units. Then just get low rms wattage rated speakers. Dont think getting expensive high wattage rated speakers will upgrade the sound even bigger, unless your adding an aftermarket amp with it. I want a 12" sub now tho...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I'll be taking my car to Hi Fi Buys soon to see what they can do for a budget of approx. $1000.

They did a killer job on my Supra with an Alpine head unit, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio subs (two 10's in one enclosure), and two JL Audio amps (500 watts each, separately powering the speakers and subs).

Don't want to spend that much on the Mustang.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a 2011 V6 Ford Mustang with a Shaker 500 and Navigation system. I previously upgraded the speakers in the doors and the rear deck with 4 Infinity REF 8602cfx's. I recently installed a Sony XM GS400 amp to provide more power to the door and rear deck speakers. I thought about wiring in a sub, but I think I’m a bit too old for a car with a booming bass. I installed the amp by using the PAC AOEM FRD24 harness. I used PAC harness to convert the head unit’s high level outputs to a line level signal source. This signal was then feed to the amp's inputs. I spliced into the PAC harness wires instead of cutting into my Stang’s wiring harness.

The biggest PITA for me was getting the connectors out of the back of the head unit. Once I was able to get them out, everything else was a breeze.

Every available function with the Shaker 500 and the NAV system worked perfectly. The audio system sounds great now.
While the speakers in the Mustang TRULY SUCK (I threw the old speakers in the garbage where they belonged), I mostly upgraded the sound system because I’m retired and need to get a life.

2011 Kona V6 Auto, Premium, 3.31 Rear End, Pony Package, NAV System Electronics Package, Comfort Package, Security Package, Remote Start, Rear Video Camera, Deck Lid Panel, Quarter Window Louvers, Side Scoops.

Mods: C&L CAI, Bama Tune (93H), BBK TB, Magnaflow Street Axel Backs, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Pony Engine Cover, MMD Hood Struts, Window Tint, Sony XM GS400 amp, Four Infinity Ref 8602cfx Speakers, Weathertech Floormats.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I also found the speakers on my 2011 base v6 to be lacking. I ended up upgrading to the pioneer TS-D6803R speakers and the sound difference is amazing. So much clearer than stock, and should probably sound good for any type of music (although I mostly listen to rock and metal)

TS-D6802R - 6" x 8" 2-Way Speaker | Pioneer Electronics USA

I'm still using the stock radio and amp as I didnt want to shell out the cash to get the adapter to install an aftermarket radio and am very happy with the results. You should be able to find them for a cheaper price on ebay. The only other thing you need is a wiring harness adapter so you don't have to solder the wires to the speakers.
I just ordered 4 TS D6802R Pioneers ( 2 for each car ) for 72.00 a pair from a company called onlinecarsterio.com in California. Free shipping in the US !
Also ordered 2 pairs of Metra 72-5600 adapters from them for 9.00 a pair.

B

·
0 Posts
You're going to love them Randeez. I didn't know you had to break speakers in, but you do. You will have a hard time dialing them in until they do break in. I would say after a week or so of commuting back and forth to work they started sounding like I expected them to.

What's funny to me is that my little Fiat 500 came with a Bose Premium sound system, and my Shaker 500 sounds a million times better IMO.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
You're going to love them Randeez. I didn't know you had to break speakers in, but you do. You will have a hard time dialing them in until they do break in. I would say after a week or so of commuting back and forth to work they started sounding like I expected them to.

What's funny to me is that my little Fiat 500 came with a Bose Premium sound system, and my Shaker 500 sounds a million times better IMO.
Thanks Hog. You have the 3 way, I ordered the 2 ways . Hopefully they will sound good. For sure better than the stock ones.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts