Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally tore into my stock 302 that I pulled out of the mustang. The engine is all original and has somewhere around 207,000 miles on it. Its totally soaked in oil as it leaked pretty bad. Thats probably atributed to my valve covers that were practically only hand tightened. I don't think the cylinder walls look too bad, but the measurements will tell whether it has to be bored or not. The valves have quite a bit of crust on them. I have included some pictures for you all to check out.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
that block will need to be bored to ensure proper compression from all of the material loss from the cylinder wall. im surprised the pistons didnt really fall out from the block from minimal pressure by hand pressure lol

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
gotta love oil drenched blocks. lol. mine looked like that before i rebuilt it too. what are you plans for it?

·
Registered
912 Posts
man that thing is a mess lol, atleasy you did the rockers and everything right, lol, ive had people take apart heads and not keep track of stuff and attempt to re use the old parts and then things go wrong. cardboard boxes usually take care of that

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really don't plan on using the old heads, rockers, or pushrods, but I figured be as organized as you can. I'd like to get the coast high performance street fighter 306 rotating assembly as well as some alluminum heads and a better intake, but my budget really doesnt allow it so I'll probably end up saving for all this while the body gets done. Ford351, I didn't think the cylinder walls really looked that bad, do you really think they are that messed up?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I really don't plan on using the old heads, rockers, or pushrods, but I figured be as organized as you can. I'd like to get the coast high performance street fighter 306 rotating assembly as well as some alluminum heads and a better intake, but my budget really doesnt allow it so I'll probably end up saving for all this while the body gets done. Ford351, I didn't think the cylinder walls really looked that bad, do you really think they are that messed up?
look at them. can you still see the cross hatching? if you kept the engine well oiled, they're probably fine, just get them opened up .030.

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
Best thing to do is use a dial bore gauge to see if the bores are out of round. With that many miles, they probably are.

·
Registered
75 Posts
yea, just check the bore sizes, but since you said you were looking at the 306 rotating assembly which is just .030 over, that would take care of that situation. with my rebuild, the pistons practically fell out. granted i dont know how well the car was maintained by the previous owner. but i wouldnt feel too combfortable keeping the stock bore size with that many miles. just my .02

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wow!!! Thats insane. You def had some blow-by. I'd def re-work the block, have it hot-tanked and punch it out .030. What H/C/I are you planning on running? What color you gonna paint the car?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure of H/C/I right now. The car is at the sandblaster now which is costing $1300 and then I'm not gonna skimp on having it painted so the engine and transmission are kind of on the back burner, I figured I'd just open it up and get the measurements down to see what needs to be done, and if I can, pay for the machine work before the paint job. I wanted to get new forged pistons, however, for the 400-500 dollar price range of most of them, I figured it would be worth it to get the whole street fighter forged rotating assembly (except crank) for just over 900 dollars. I really don't want to skimp anywhere, if Im going to do it I might as well do it right the first time, so it just may take a while

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a few pictures of the cylinder bores which you can still see the cross hatching on. They don't look too bad. I've seen some real gouged up walls before.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
The crosshatch don't look too bad, but I'd still go ahead and check for out-of-roundness. I'd even go ahead and punch it our .030 over and notch the block. For what you are gonna spend for a forged assy, for a few bucks more, get a 331 of 347 kit. You'll be making some serious power then!! Show some pics soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.