Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I bought a set of 2010 19 inch GT premium wheels the other day and got a great price for them. I have put them on my 05 GT, and I really love the look. However, when you're up close to the rims they have these really fine scratches on them that really don't look good. They're all over the rims and I'm guessing are a result of improper storage (it can't be curb rash they're on the middle of the wheels). So anyways, I haven't found another thread on these specific wheels, and I was wondering if anyone had a trick to getting these scratches off. I've already tried a really fine sand paper with no luck. Also, if you rub your finger across the scratches, you can't even feel them. They're not deep at all, it's almost seamless. Are these rims painted? It doesn't appear so on the scratched surface. I'll try to attach a couple pictures. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The wheels are clear coated unless they are chromed. In either case, the proper kind of polishing compound and elbow grease will buff them out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. The rims I have are the 10 spoke premium GT wheels from 2010. Wish I could figure out why it won't allow me to upload a picture. Anyways, they are grey on the insides and what appears to be a machines metal on the outside. Are these clear coated? What compound would you recommend? I've already tried a Turtle Wax compound for paint with no results.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The rims I have are the 10 spoke premium GT wheels from 2010. Wish I could figure out why it won't allow me to upload a picture. Anyways, they are grey on the insides and what appears to be a machines metal on the outside. Are these clear coated? What compound would you recommend? I've already tried a Turtle Wax compound for paint with no results.
When attempting any sort of correction, a machine really is a must. Without killing your arms, theres no real by hand method imo. If they're just some fine scratches, polish alone should take them out, if not then use compound followed by polish. Try meguiars compound and polish. Megs and Menzerna are two top detailer picks

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would second the recommendation to get a good polishing machine. I would also say it might be a good idea to visit a detailing shop, and see what the pros have to say.

I have personally pretty well beat my arms up polishing, by hand, my 08 GT. Really takes a lot of effort.

·
Registered
518 Posts
To me those marks look like corrosion as a result of water/salt penetration and will get worse over time - or maybe something scratched them. I doubt if polishing compound will take that out IMO. I think you will have to sand the clear coat off, and down far enough to get rid of the marks then clear coat once you are happy with the look and feel. You could also get some wheel silver paint before the clear coat too. I'd try just one part first to see if your efforts will look OK. I'll guess you won't touch the black but just the polished aluminum 'bars' so you'll have to tape the black. Lots of work. They do look nice on the car.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I had a set of aluminum wheels on a car a long time ago that looked worse than that. I bought a rattle can of clear coat for rims, very lightly sanded them down and resprayed and it looked great. Try it on a small spot and see if you are satisfied with the results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts