Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my engine put back together after replacing the valve covers and painting everything. Now when I try to start my mustang right as I turn the key to on it starts trying to turn over. I dont even have to turn the key all the way to start for it to do this. Did I hook up the battery wrong? or maybe switch the wires on the coil? On top of that I cant get it to start up so i was wondering if they went hand in hand idk where to start or what causes this im just learning as I go with this project. anything will help thanks

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
You must have the ignition wire interchanged with the starting circuit wire.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Thats what I was thinking it may be, just to make sure and clarify that is the two wires connecting to the coil right?

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
The coil should have a the ignition wire (hot with the key on) and the starter relay should have the starter wire (hot when turned all the way to the right). You can test them easily with a volt meter or a light bulb.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
k well i was thinking you meant the two wires needed to be switched on the coil. I havent touched the starter wire at all.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I don't think the coil wires should matter. Switch them and find out.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Ok, for the coil, the red wire should be on the + side of the coil, the black should be on the - side of the coil. Did you touch the starter solenoid?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry guys im definately new with engines but I got what you said now all I had to do was switch the wires on the selinoid and it fired right up. Thanks for all the help though it helped me figure out where to start. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
is it possible you may have switched the two wires at the solenoid.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
sorry did not read your last post before I tried to help. glad you got it fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts