Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past week, I've been working on a project to install a shaker 1000 in my base model mustang. I finished it today. I did NOT change my radio out, nor did I even remove it at any point in the install. I think it sounds pretty good for it being a factory system. Here's a video of the results!
NOTE: I don't like rap or hip/hop in particular I was just using it as an example for the base ;P and the video does not do the system justice.
YouTube - ‪Retrofitted Shaker 1000 in 2008 Mustang‬‏

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
thats cool. my base model had the single cd and i wanted the 6 disk changer. i found a shaker 1000 head unit, but ive never run into a deal on the amps and speakers so i installed the h.u. and it works good. so at least i can load 6 disks in it. i would really like to have the amps and speakers in the doors more than anything. maybe someday ;)

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats cool. my base model had the single cd and i wanted the 6 disk changer. i found a shaker 1000 head unit, but ive never run into a deal on the amps and speakers so i installed the h.u. and it works good. so at least i can load 6 disks in it. i would really like to have the amps and speakers in the doors more than anything. maybe someday ;)
I cut holes in my door panels and installed the door speakers too but I haven't found a way to get those hooked up yet because I haven't found the amps for them. I'm probably gonna hook them up with a single aftermarket amp. I don't listen to CDs so the headunit change was trivial to me. The shaker 1000 headunit makes my factory speakers quieter anyways cuz it was meant for the whole lot of the speakers.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
I cut holes in my door panels and installed the door speakers too but I haven't found a way to get those hooked up yet because I haven't found the amps for them. I'm probably gonna hook them up with a single aftermarket amp. I don't listen to CDs so the headunit change was trivial to me. The shaker 1000 headunit makes my factory speakers quieter anyways cuz it was meant for the whole lot of the speakers.
my head unit rocks out great :) i like the features it has too. hey tell what you did with your doors, what you used and maybe post some pics. maybe i`ll cut some into my panels. i would think the shaker 500 amps would work( or maybe they are the same ones anyway) sometimes i see them on ebay, and i dont really want or need the bass cab in the trunk.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my head unit rocks out great :) i like the features it has too. hey tell what you did with your doors, what you used and maybe post some pics. maybe i`ll cut some into my panels. i would think the shaker 500 amps would work( or maybe they are the same ones anyway) sometimes i see them on ebay, and i dont really want or need the bass cab in the trunk.
It's really not complicated, what I did. I measure the diameter of the speakers and subtracted an inch. Then cut a hole that size in my door panel. Then I drilled holes to mount the speaker, added some spacers between the speaker and the door panel(breathing room and so the covers will fit.) then mounted. I soldered wires onto the subs and ran them through the factory grommet on the door to the undressed of the dash. It's really basic and I think when I actually get around to hooking them up, I'm gonna add some foam or something so they don't rattle as badly with the base.

As for the Amps, they are different from the front and back ones. The back ones came all assembled with harness so I could just just off te James's and run my own wires. The front amps require the harness because they don't come all busied together like my rear ones did(hence my idea to just get a single aftermarket one to run both subs.)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
thats cool. my base model had the single cd and i wanted the 6 disk changer. i found a shaker 1000 head unit, but ive never run into a deal on the amps and speakers so i installed the h.u. and it works good. so at least i can load 6 disks in it.
Paranoid trick # 692: If they’re hard to replace CDs make copies on your computer to use in your car’s CD changer. Then when the changer f’s up you don’t need to worry about wasting time trying to get them back out.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Paranoid trick # 692: If they’re hard to replace CDs make copies on your computer to use in your car’s CD changer. Then when the changer f’s up you don’t need to worry about wasting time trying to get them back out.
i havent really had any problems with the shaker 1000. it plays copies pretty well. once in a great while it will skip maybe for a second, but not often. i love the head unit really. gives the cd title names, the names of songs on the radio, has a bunch of features, sounds great to me even with my cheap basic speakers. ya, ive seen the amp setup that goes in the rear, and my g/f has the 500 with the amps under the drivers side dash, thats what i want with door speakers.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I got a stock shaker 500 6 CD changer head unit sitting in my box at home I would be willing to sell it to someone?

·
Registered
21 Posts
shaker 1000 upgrade from Base model audio system

I had a base model system, found a shaker 1000 system on Craigslist and did the upgrade, a shaker 500 system has 6 disc changer with 8" woofer in doors with two amps under driver kick panel and a high pass crossover signal to woofer amps, shaker 1000 system has a 6 CD changer but has a low and high pass crossover built in for additional two 10" subwoofers in trunk, I had to add wiring harness giving me opportunity of improvements, OEM wiring use 12 gauge wires to feed amps, seems too small to me, I upgraded to 10 gauge wire, I also upgraded the door and rear package tray speakers to Rockford Fosgate, I also installed Dynamat thorough entire car, There are 4 trunk amps at 125 watts each (total of 500 watts) going to two dual voice coil 10" subwoofers. The 8" woofers in door have two amps going to the 8" dual coil woofer. The tricky part is finding all the plugs, they are more expensive than what they need to be. here is the list of plugs needed (OEM NUMBERS) TBD

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a base model system, found a shaker 1000 system on Craigslist and did the upgrade, a shaker 500 system has 6 disc changer with 8" woofer in doors with two amps under driver kick panel and a high pass crossover signal to woofer amps, shaker 1000 system has a 6 CD changer but has a low and high pass crossover built in for additional two 10" subwoofers in trunk, I had to add wiring harness giving me opportunity of improvements, OEM wiring use 12 gauge wires to feed amps, seems too small to me, I upgraded to 10 gauge wire, I also upgraded the door and rear package tray speakers to Rockford Fosgate, I also installed Dynamat thorough entire car, There are 4 trunk amps at 125 watts each (total of 500 watts) going to two dual voice coil 10" subwoofers. The 8" woofers in door have two amps going to the 8" dual coil woofer. The tricky part is finding all the plugs, they are more expensive than what they need to be. here is the list of plugs needed (OEM NUMBERS) TBD
LIST OF PLUGS
71-5520-1 Metra Plug kit (three plugs for head unit)
WPT-626 (2ea) TO connect to door woofers
WPT-663 (2ea) TO output for door amps (add 4 more for trunk amps)
WPT-667 (2ea) Door Amp Input PLug
WPT-396 (1ea) Trunk Amp input plug

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
hey good update. i still have the 1000 hu in the car. last year i picked up 2 frt under dash amps, but never tried to hook them up or add speakers to the door. i might just try to get those plugs together this year and who knows, maybe next year i`ll get a couple speakers and hook it all up. still dont want the trunk sub.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts