Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am finishing my 66 front body work and need to find out what the width of the front shock towers are apart and from where you are getiing that measurement. i just need to weld all the front sheet metal up and dont have a monte carlo brace to get the width. Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would really suggest getting a good quality Export brace to line everything up. It will also help stiffen up the front end anyway. I replaced my shock towers recently and that is how I lined up the towers. The car is at the body shop right now so I can't measure it for you.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Measurements are in factory manuals just google it you will find several free ones. But, Measurements are not an afterthought. Unless you are rebuilding one that the front end was damaged. You should have made many measurements and reference points to go back to on assembly. Was it crashed or are you just replacing for rust issues? The frame dimensions in the manuals are sometimes hard to figure out exactly where they are measuring from. Which is why I compare the manual to my car before I ever cut. But I guess a little too late for that, sorry. Maybe someone can measure and take pics of there car. I dont have a 66 or I would gladly take some measurements. You can always do the export brace idea that dfrome66 had and bolt it all together Tack weld everything up and temp bolt fenders on to check alignment. What you dont want is to completely weld it up without checking fitment of fenders and hood. Not to mention if you have engine out you need to make sure the width and firewall distance of shock tower at engine mounting point is correct also. Sorry if I came off sounding mean its not my intention. Here is one chassis dimension guide but as I said not very clear on measuring points.Group 17 Body, Doors and Windows

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
they measure 34 7/16" at the bottom from datum hole to datum hole. (center to center)
I don't have the top measurement distance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I had all the measurements written down but can find my notebook. I will find manual and also get the brace. Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts