Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the insulation on my firewall. It sat for 6 years and it smells of mice even after I replaced the carpet and seats. tried removing the dash but can't figure out how to get the metal part out. Quite frankly, I don't even know if it does come out. If anyone has any ideas how to somehow "easily" remove and replace the insulation, please let me know. Thank you

·
Registered
159 Posts
The only thing that holds the firewall insulation up are barbed metal studs that drive through the insulation into the firewall. It goes behind the heater box. Drive the studs from the engine side, they will probably break, but try and save some, I have yet to get enough new plastic ones with the the pad! 3M spray adhesive helps when installing, but make sure it is lined up before sticking!

·
Registered
765 Posts
You don't need to remove the dash - and can't anyway as it welded to the body. The firewall insulation can be removed by crawling under the dash and pulling lose the snaps that hold it to the firewall. It doesn't go all the way up behind the dash. As I recall there are about 4-5 of these snaps. If its rotted bad like mine the snapes have already come loose. My new insulation came with new snaps which are pretty tough to put into place. I only managed to get a few of them in and that's all that's needed as the heater box and pedals hold it in place pretty well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts