Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 66 Fastback to it's first car show today. It was a local show to raise money for "kids who have Cancer". I couldn't believe all the attention my car got. People were getting tired of seeing spotless, shiny cars and really appreciated what my car looked liked before it's all spotless and shiny. And by the way, best of car was a Mustang Shelby GT and best of show was a Musatng Shelby GT 500 KR.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
AWESOME Gregory! As I recall, this is the car that started out as a rusted hulk for 2.5K. Looking good and can't wait to see the whole thing done. BTW, maybe you recall our back and forth a few weeks ago about an A-code 65FB. I passed at 8K but some sucker gave him 10K for it!! Can you believe that?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I love seeing pics of progress on finished cars, but seeing the work in progress live and in person is very unique! Only a true hobbyist would appreciate this! Thanks for sharing! btw....you body gaps look perfect!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello GGregory,
I am thinking one of those "fancy California detail brushes" and
you are in trophy contention:grinroll:

No I kid of course - - what a GREAT wat to show people what
goes into the making of a great classic. I have never seen this
done. I commend you and admire you work.
The car is looking really solid - -take your time and continue
doing it right.

What a great idea :worship

Print Dad

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Snaranjo, I knew you passed on that Fastback and no I cannot believe someone would pay 10k for that car.

It took 3 different quarter panels to get the drivers side just about perfect with the fit, long story. I did a lot of reading on how to line up all the body panels before you weld them in. It was a little hard working with repro crap metal body parts. The doors are original 66 year rust free and so is one fender. The other fender is a Ford tooling as is the rear tail light panel. The quarters are far from a Ford part. I did the best I could and I'm pleased with it.

About the show. Sooo many people who looked and talked to me about my car have no clue about what it takes to restore a car, except people who have a car in the show. The most common lack of misconception is, what it cost to get it completed and the time it takes.

Seeing my car is very near the primer/pant stage, that's what most people were talking to me about. Also as you can see in one picture there's primer's and a box of accessories for sanding and etc in the car. Some people were asking why I had that stuff in my car. I said look over there, look at those stuff animals on top of those cars, look at the fuzzy dice. Those cars should be in a carnival. My car is from a garage like a car should be from.

Greg

·
Registered
307 Posts
That's a great idea, especially for the younger generation of car enthusiasts to really see the bare bones of a car. Here's an idea you can do for the future to help raise money for the charity. I was at a show earlier this year for a local school and one of the teachers brought their unrestored '66 coupe and to raise money he started "Cover the Rust". People would come up and tape money over any rust/primer spots on the car. He raised a couple hundred dollars.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Love the way that just about every panel/door on the car is a different color - this is going to be one fine Frankenstang:gringreen

Like those sport pony seats too. Really kicking myself for not doing that in my coupe straight out. I'm reminded every time I take a corner a bit too fast and end up pressed against the door panel!

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) I have to agree with everybody else. It is good to see a graphic example of precisely what is involved in bringing one of these cars back from the brink. Some folks seem to think that all that's required is to spray some shiny paint on the car and perform a tune-up, and, presto!, it's restored. It looks like you are doing a good job on that car, btw. I especially like that Rotunda trunk lid lift assembly that have holding the trunk open. That's a very rare option. :gringreen

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank's Veronica,:smilie

That Rotunda trunk lift assembly is a fine peice of Hickory that also doubles as a longer sanding block. I unhooked the trunk spring so the deck could close on it's own, (no latch).

Hey Big Secz, That's a great idea about covering the rust with money for a charity. I will have to remeber that for my next Mustang project. :yup:

That front seat is the new TMI Sport Seat look with foam. I thought it would look nice to have one completed seat in the car. I was actually going to have a kid sit there when I push the car back on the trailer, but at the time there was no kid around. I also have the rear seat that came with that TMI kit. All of my seats and the fold down seat are all redone and ready to install, in about 6 months I would guess???

I threw on the door and fender about an hour before I left for the show. I waited untill the last minuet because it was raining that morning. I didn't take much time to fit them and they still went on pretty close to factory. I did put on and take off the doors about 5 times when I was working on the rear quaters to get them alligned, not to mentioned the rear quarter extension.

In a few weeks I will take a weeks vacation to paint the car. But before that I guess what's next is to install the other door and fender and the hood. I need to get them all fitted as best I can. Then check and re-check all the metal for any inperfections before I shoot 4 coats of fill primer and guide coats. Then block sand for a week. Then I will shoot 2 coats of epoxy primer sealer before the base coat.

I will be asking some questons/other ways to skin a cat before I shoot the shelby stripes in Black over the Candy Apple Red. Should I shoot a thin line of red first, cover that in 2" tape then the black, tape up the black then shoot the red?? Or shoot the whole car in red then tape up and shoot the black stripes?? Or a different way??

The multi color panels are from different primers I used and fillers. The deck lid and door is in epoxy primer, the fender is in primer sealer and the quarter panel is how they come new in a black something. Everything still needs to get sanded again before the poly filler primer stage.

I will take pictures along the way and I'm planning on shooting a video when I paint the car and assemble it.

I have a plan/ideas for a 9 plus min music video of my car and I would like Veronica in it. Her seen will be her on the phone talking to me. I will be asking her a couple of questions about something about my car and she will be rattling off all sorts of knowledge about my Mustang. Her seen will only be about 20 sec. (I know it's not much). Another seen will be me driving my Mustang up this very nice winding hill with nice trees on both sides. My son will be up on a latter shooting this seen as I drive up the winding road. The best part of this seen is I will be driving up this winding hill inbetween two rows of Harley Bikers, about 20 plus bikes. They will be going about much slower than me so I can zip past them. It's my brother and friends on the bikes. "Born to be Wild" by Steppin Wolf will be playing for the last part of the video, including this bike seen. This is only a small part of my 9 min video. I don't want to give to much away

Greg

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Greg, after you shoot everything initially with 2 coats epoxy, you will be doing yourself a favor by blocking the epoxy with guide coat and filling imperfections at this stage. Your car will look like a dairy cow and you really will be amazed at just how many low spots there are, especially on those reproduction panels. Once you do the filler work, shoot another coat of epoxy then shoot your high build primer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts