Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only bought two cars in my life so far ( not counting the ones I bought from my parents) A 2007 mazda 3 and my current 2012 mustang. So after having the car for one week I thought I would share my thoughts and ask a question or two.

First of all coming from the 140ish hp Mazda to this mustang, its really hard for me to get decent gas mileage, I simply am having to much fun driving it. Also since its been 12 years since I had a manual transmission it feels like I am a bit hard on it. Last manual I had was a 1994 ford ranger that I delivered pizzas in. So far I have logged 500 miles on the mustang, as it had 3.9miles on it when I got it. The ride is decent, as I know I am not in a Cadillac or similar and the throttle is addicting. It seems I have to remember to shift between 2-3k rpm in order to have any hopes of getting near the mpg I was getting in my Mazda. The in dash MPG so far has me at 19.2mpg when I am used to 25+ doing the same commutes.

Quick question for the rest of you, I have noticed that the plastic molding around the car seems to "dust" itself off on my car, I find myself dusting my car everyday after i get home always pulling some of this dust off my white stang with a microfiber towel. Is this normal? Can i put something over the black plastic to get it to stop dusting my ride?

Another question, it might just be me, but I am finding second gear a pain. I cannot seem to get into second smoothly. what I mean is I shift into second easily but as letting out the clutch its always choppy. I really have to baby it to get a smooth transition. I dont have this problem with any of the other gears. I am not sure if its just me being out of practice or what.

Overall so far I am very happy with my first mustang, it has a style I like, and I am not ashamed to admit its a V6, as it is a blast to drive. Not looking forward to replacing the tires though, man the pirelli pzeros near 400 a tire!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Can't possibly be any "dust" coming from the black plastic trim.

Possible I suppose that it is brake dust, is it all over the wheels?

Smooth clutch release is a matter of practice.

Fuel economy is an issue of driving style.

Drive easy, shift early, get to and use as high a gear as possible when cruising.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Welcome to the hurd! Glad to hear you are pleased overall. These v6s truly are a blast to drive. Wait til you install some aftermarket exhaust. Then you will really have trouble with mpgs. :winks
You can get much cheaper tires once the pp tires wear out. I was able to pick up nearly new tires and wheels off of a 2011 mustang for $400 that I will be using in the winter.
I also can't believe the amount of dust my stang absorbs.

·
Registered
612 Posts
+1 on the dust. I don't look forward to replacing the tires either. I am also having trouble with second. I came from a dodge ram and I was geting 11mpg so I am no worried about MPGs too much.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Are we talking about the 18" Pirelli's that come with the Pony Package? They retail for about $173 each according to Tire Kingdom.

Tire Kingdom doesn't have the replacement Pirelli's for the performance package, but do have some options starting around $250 a tire.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Welcome and glad to hear you're enjoying your first Mustang. This is my first one as well and I'm loving every second of ownership.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Congrats and dont worry about a few MPG man just enjoy the car!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I thought he was talking about the 19's from the PP

·
Banned
163 Posts
Congrats on the Stang, this is my first one too!
Dust might be from where the area you live? When my bf lived in Rillo, it was impossible to keep his car clean. It was black and you could always see small particles of sand/dust. Now that you have a "new" car, it could just be easier to spot on the fresh paint as well (maybe you just got lucky with the paint color on the mazda, if it was new when you got it). Waxing it might help repel the dust a tad, but not much. It realllly helps when it rains, 'cause in our Texas heat the droplets will dry their calcium onto the paint and make it a pita to wipe off later. That's my .02.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i thought the 19's also. and try shifting at 2000 maybe 1800 and your mpg will go up pretty quick. and cruise control is your best friend.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Congrats on getting a Perf Pack! My first one, too so I know exactly how you feel about the MPG, coming from a 4 cylinder. It does get a bit better when the engine breaks in a bit.

I also noticed when I switched to 93 octane, my mpg sucked for the first tankful - worse than 87 but then after the second, I was getting better mpg, smoother idle and approx +5hp to boot.

As for your tires, there are a few options out there. As you live in TX, I am not sure you will need a second set of tires - so something to think about - the GT/CS and PP have essentially the same rim, but different tire size. if you use the narrower CS tire size, you will find more choices of replacement rubber and cheaper, too. Your MPG might go up about a mile or two as wider, gripper tires do impact fuel economy. HOWEVER - you will need to get your speedo adjusted as you will run 3% slower than what is displayed if you go to the CS tire size.

Also, get a CAI - you will get a bit better mileage out of it, too - I know I have. With prices as they currently are, that thing'll've paid for itself about 40k miles.

+1 to the car being a dust bunny!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts