Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
…and it was an embarrassing one at that. I bought my 02 GT in January and have loved every second driving it. It is pretty much bone stock with the exception of the previous owner hacking out the air filter housing, creating somewhat of a ghetto CAI.

Well, I finally worked up the nerve to take it to the 1/8 mile track (all we have close by in No. VA). After watching a few runs to get the feel of how things work, I nervously headed back to my car and got in line. My turn rolls around and I head to the staging area and line up next to a Trans Am. The guy working by the tree walks around my car and I ask where my number is at. Confused, I asked where I get one at and he makes me back up and go through tech:confused: (embarrassing moment 1). I guess my buddy who had been there before forgot about tech, I was sure to thank him for that.

I go to tech, get my number and get back in line. This time I line up against a new Toyota Tacoma. Off the line my car almost stalls on me and the truck got the jump. I start pulling on him, then I miss 3rd. Tacoma runs a 10 flat and I run a 10.1 (embarrassing moment 2). The Tacoma driver gives me the thumbs up (of course, he just spanked a Mustang GT) and I return it.

We line up for round 2, same truck, same result. Only this time the car almost stalls while shifting into second, and it hit me, TRACTION CONTROL IS ON DUMBA$$ :sterb: (embarrassing moment 3). I guess I was so nervous it completely slipped my mind. Tacoma – 10.1, me – 10.3. Last and final run, lined up, Tacoma once again, traction control off, NERVES SHOT. Off the line he gets the jump, but this time he doesn’t have my stupidity to save him. I pull on him in no time and finish .5 ahead of him, 9.7 to his 10.2.:thumbsup

I know my times were slow but I finally broke my track cherry and now I am hooked. Do you all think I should replace the ghetto CAI with an FIPK and will I see any gains? I also plan to install an off road x-pipe with Flowmaster or Magnaflow Cat-back and 3.73 gear. Thanks and sorry so long!

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Don't worry, we all have stories like that man. Except me, but that's only because I have yet to drive down a track. I'm sure I'll have plenty of the same moments when I do though. I would do the exhaust and then worry about the intake.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

This post made my morning! That must've been horribly embarrassing!!!!

Well, at least you learned something!!! You'll do better next time>

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've yet to race with traction control "off"...My tires are too expensive for me to waste away so I prefer to ease into a launch and play catch up if I have to. I'm gonna break my track cherry tonight when my club (www.wildhorses.com) goes to a race legal event at Qualcomm stadium in San Diego, CA. It's only a 1/8 mile track and everyone says the track *asphalt* sucks major balls since it's really only a parking lot. I'll be sure to post some pics and vids as well as some good stories out there. I'm gonna use the rush hour traffic drive home to practice my launch techniques...you know, slow down a lot so I get space between me and the car in front of me, then do a quick launch and slow down again...
But good story though, everyone tells me the first time at the track, you shouldn't expect to much out of yourself, just take it as a practice run, and worry more about not crashing, stalling, taking a red light, and where the finish line is, and exit lanes are...stuff like that...which is what I plan on doing, hopefully I race some kid in a tricycle so I won't lose that badly

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yorchi! Thats no way to go into it, c'mon man! Use the force!

As for this story, its wonderful! it reminds me of well, me. Good luck on your next adventure and remember, like was said before. WE all do this stuff the first time or so... even me:)

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I'd laugh, but I've never been to a track, so I'd prolly do similar stuff(except almost stalling going into second...don't know how you did that :) )

·
Registered
154 Posts
Get some gears and practice driving you'll be fine.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tw0scoops123 said:
I'd laugh, but I've never been to a track, so I'd prolly do similar stuff(except almost stalling going into second...don't know how you did that :) )
I powershifted into second, breaking the tires loose alittle too much. It was a blast though, can't wait to get back and give it anouther run.
I have also been doing a little research on my car and I am not sure if the exhaust is stock. My mufflers have no markings on them so I figured they where stock. After looking under 3 other mustangs today (2 03s and an 02) the stock mufflers are marked with the ford emblem and are more rounded then mine. Does anyone have any insight on this? Are there different styles of stock exhausts? Does anyone know of aftermarket cat-backs that are unmarked?

·
Registered
244 Posts
My best time of the night was a 10.2 I think...but man oh man do I have some excuses...it's okay though, I'll take it like a man and just admit I got my ass handed to me...I'll post the actual info later...but at least I know it wasn't my cars fault...it was all mine...

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nickcp said:
this may be dumb, but how do u launch properly, just drop the clutch?
I would have to say it depends on your tires/grip. I was running on crappy street tires (Wynstar exocets) and launching at about 2800 rpms, not quite dumping the clutch, and still had a little tire spin (limited-slip is worn out so only spinning one). I assume if you have drag radials and good conditions, you could dump the clutch at a much higher rpm and have no problems, but what do I know, my times suck :sosad: . I was planning on going back to the track tonight, but the car is in the shop getting the LSD fixed. Hopefully that will improve my times. I also plan on getting some BFG drag radials as soon as the 3.73's go in.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I completely understand about the nerves! I've only been to the track twice... I need to tape a little cheat sheet to the dash...

Traction control off... check
Over drive off... check
Bottle hearter off... check
Nitrous Armed... check
Nitrous purged... check

LOL!

·
Registered
721 Posts
The more you go the better you get. Most of it is learning how to drive on the track as opposed to the street. It took me about 8 runs before I got the hang of launching with my supercharger. Practice Practice Practice.:handball:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.