Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Wife's mustang is ready for its first oil change. Should I take it to the dealer or one of the quick oil change places? I'm to lazy to do it myself, so thats not an option.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
You take your life(not really) in your own hands when you use the quick lube places. They are notorious for screwing drain plugs up and other such idiocies.

It takes all of 20 minutes to do it yourself, or let your wife do it while you supervise...:laugh:

Some dealers have quick oil change services, that would be the only acceptable quick lube to use IMO.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I believe the first oil change is free at the dealer. You still have to double check there work.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I believe the first oil change is free at the dealer. You still have to double check there work.
+1 My first oil change (5000 miles) including tire rotation was free at my dealer.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
First one's free? That's pretty sweet. Are you going with Synthetic?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Your first oil change is only free if that's your dealer's policy. I got a coupon for a free oil change from my dealer but it states it's only good for 5 quarts. The new V6's take 6. :nogrinner

·
Registered
112 Posts
just had my first and i got a letter saying i could get a free oil change. but didnt apply for full synthetic which is what i had them switch it too. also they rotated the tires and i had them fill with nitro for the first change.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My first oil change was also free at the dealer. I was sent a coupon for a free oil change, but lost it. When I took the car in for them to listen to my engine tick, I had them go ahead and do the oil change which they just charged to "New Car Sales".

Our cars use Motorcraft 5w20 which is a semi-synthetic developed and used exclusively by Ford. It's a pretty good oil, and one of the major reasons our cars are supposed to go 10k miles+ without an oil change. Changing your oil significantly before 10k miles is honestly a waste of time, money, and resources. Chaging out to a full synthetic arguably won't increase your engine life due to the oil we are already using is pretty good, so you may want to reconsider and save yourself some money.

I did my first oil change at 8k and even that was too early, but I did it due to having a busy schedule and trying to kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called my Dealer and the first service is free, so I guess i'll take it there tomorrow.

Changing your oil significantly before 10k miles is honestly a waste of time, money, and resources.
My Wife's Mustang only has 2500 miles on it, but we bought it a year ago. What about time between oil changes instead of mileage?

·
Registered
288 Posts
My Wife's Mustang only has 2500 miles on it, but we bought it a year ago. What about time between oil changes instead of mileage?
That one I am honestly not sure of. I would recommend consulting the tech to find out for sure. Given that it's a semi-synthetic, it should hold up better than regular oil if it isn't run that often, but I wouldn't take a chance without knowing for sure. :smartass:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I called my Dealer and the first service is free, so I guess i'll take it there tomorrow.

The manual states 1 year, 10k miles or when your oil meter states it's time. You're good.

·
Registered
122 Posts
First one's free? That's pretty sweet. Are you going with Synthetic?
Yes, I went synthetic (Mobil) all around...engine, auto, rear end. I supplied fluids and filter-dealer installed. I did pay hazardous disposal fee and tax on labor (Tennessee) for the wheel rotation. No engine "tick" or other issues.

This is the first vehicle I used synthetic. Yes, Ford's semi-synthetic is a very good oil, good but not the best. The way I see it, every engine, transmission and rotor head on my Hook is filled with synthetic. Got me and my crew through some tough scrapes. If its good enough for Boeing and Honeywell, its good enough for me.

But that's just what I decided to do..I don't propose to tell others what to do.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Sounds good. I've personally used Valvoline Full Synthetic in my last car, and no problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I got my oil changed at the dealer. It took 90 minutes! Since it was my first service, it was free and I saved 30 bucks. The oil monitor was still at 87% (about 2,500 miles), but we had the Mustang for a year so I think it still needed changing. The dealer put a sticker on the windshield to change the oil at 6 months or 5,000 miles, half the recomended interval in the owners manual. I'm not sure what I'll do next year, but I might wait longer than a year to change it again and wait till the oil monitor hits 50%.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts