Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

Hope your all doing well! I'm a new guy to the forum though I have done some research on the site before and was impressed with how knowledgable everyone was. For real, im not just lookin for brownie points. I'm actually pretty new to mustangs as well, at least real life ones. The 1970 boss 429 has been my dream car since i was a kid, but ive only just got the means to actually get one (well, not a boss 429, just a basic one).
Anyway, Ive found myself pretty lost in my search for a project mustang. I have no idea what to pay for one. It seems like the price can vary ridiculously throughout years and models, the shape they're in and the region they're in. Livin in and looking in Alberta, it doesnt seem like an equal one would go for the same here as in, say, Texas? Is there anyone out there that could help me determine a reasonable price range if given the details? Ive actually found one locally that im lookin at that seems like a decent deal, but i really have no clue. If theres some experts out there that would like to help me i would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks a lot.

P.S.
If I've broken any posting eddicate, please let me know. I'll be sure to fix it in the future.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Welcome to the board! I have a 1970' coupe that i'm about 70% finished.

I paid $1200 for mine in maryland, and it needed a little bit of everything but it was semi drive able with just new brakes and a tune up.

1969 and 70' coupes arent anywhere near as desireable as a fastback for most. which is good and bad. Good because that makes them cheap for those who like them
bad because there are some parts that are not reproduced like the roof panel and trunk lids.

it does depend on the area. but to get a decent project car in need of a restoration you can expect to pay between 1000 and 2500. I would not pay more than 2500 for a coupe in need of a total restoration. which to me means it needs the floors patched and quarter panels replaced and stuff like that.

If you find one that is driveable but needs work you can expect to pay around 3000 depending on how much work it needs, at 2k if the floors dont need work, another 1500 if the body is in good shape and has 10 foot paint on it. a thousand or so for a rebuilt engine
if its got nice well kept paint a rebuilt engine and trans and doesnt need more than say a tune up tires and maybe brakes. 8-10K wouldnt be a bad price

Just dont let chrome and shiney paint fool you. these cars have rust issues that are underneath.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks a lot Pockets! Really helpful.

This car definitely doesnt have chrome and shinny paint to hide under, and by the sounds of it this doesn't look like real good deal...

The one im looking at is driveable, just in need of a brake tune-up, and seems to run very well. Also the auto transmission was newly rebuilt. Its a 302; is that a more desirable engine that would add value?

But thats about where the good news ends. The body is in pretty rough shape. needs paint, some of the chrome trim would need replacing, needs a new hood, interior is rough, floors partly rusted out and a decent bit of rust underneath. The rear quarters and part of the drivers door were rusted out and fixed up but not real well. a bondo job and not a great one at that. other than that body rust isnt bad.

it also comes with a couple extras that are cool. new floor panels, chrome boss 302 valve covers, original 1970 rims from the boss/mach 1 in new condition, but im not sure how much value that would add.

the guy wants 3 grand. compared to what you paid and your criteria, it kinda seems like a rip off. but muscle cars in Canada do seem to go for more. maybe its a good price for my location, but i dont know! What do you think?
Id really appreciate input from others as well :bounce2:

Oh and Pockets, i assume thats your mustang in your profile pic? Looks awesome! and looks like its come a long way from semi-driveable. Nice

1 - 3 of 3 Posts