Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys this is my first post here. I have a run down 87 5.0 and i just got a 98 V6 convertible.(completely stock) i wanted to make the v6 a little faster and louder. What do you recommend? Im only 18 so money is a big deal.

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
Welcome to the site. You are in the right place for all of your questions to be answered.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
well the standard advice.. and path that most people here will take.. the first 2 steps are generally a CAI and a dual exhaust.. now there are many options for both and i suggest searching this site through the countless posts that want to know the best answers to the question you have here..

for CAIs u have anything from K&N to BBK to nameless 70 dollar ones from ebay or americanmuscle.com (great site btw nearly everyone here uses it) all CAIs are basically the same there are no significant advantages for one over the other..

for exhausts u gotta decide what kind of midpipe what kind of mufflers and in some cases the kind of tips.. for midpipes you can buy or have a shop make you an H-pipe, an X-pipe, have divorced duals, or u can use a y-pipe sold on many cat-back kits.

x-pipe makes ur exhaust a little raspier.. h-pipe is deeper, divorced duals are basically each bank of the engine has its own tailpipe.. so u have ur left header going through ur left cat and that goes thru a muffler and then thats ur left tailpipe and its the same on the right side two separate pipes..

v6 catbacks generally come with a y pipe to match the stock pipes under the car so it goes from the two cats down to a single connector then back out to the two separate tailpipes.. now there are many different types of mufflers and cat-back systems... good advice is search youtube for other people who have done things to their v6s itll help you decide what you want and all that.. theres so much u can do.. i completely left out long tube headers so look into that too.. and just do some research for yourself.. ull learn alot just sitting by reading what we tell everybody else.. welcome... and good luck :bigthumbsup

P.S. sorry if i started to ramble

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hi Guys this is my first post here. I have a run down 87 5.0 and i just got a 98 V6 convertible.(completely stock) i wanted to make the v6 a little faster and louder. What do you recommend? Im only 18 so money is a big deal.
Get a tuning device. I recommend americanmuscle.com.

·
Registered
60 Posts
cai are BS end of story the only worth wile upgrade to the intake is a new intake head the snorkel thing is cool but a little too cluttered imo, 20$ at autozone will suffice youll only get 5-6hp max but that about all youll get under 500$+ purchase's

get injectors/spark plugs then go for suspension, rims/+ tiers, and brakes

·
Registered
60 Posts
Get a tuning device. I recommend americanmuscle.com.
tuneing would be a waist imo at stock lvl he'd be spending 200-300$ on a MAYBE 5hp gain.. and he'd just be burning extra gas witch would cost him even more in the long run until he got some more worth wile upgrades.
as i posted you could do that with new 20-80$ fillter.. except he'd GAIN mpg..

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
cai are BS end of story the only worth wile upgrade to the intake is a new intake head the snorkel thing is cool but a little too cluttered imo, 20$ at autozone will suffice youll only get 5-6hp max but that about all youll get under 500$+ purchase's

what? injectors/spark plugs will do nothing 70 bucks could get you a cheap CAI from ebay.. or a little more for a name brand.. u get a few horses from it and it kinda sounds cool.. what do you mean cai are BS? are you thinking throttle bodies?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

CAI add 5-10 hp. And I mean a CAI that goes through your engine wall into the fenderwell - not the FIPK or whatever thing from K&N (snorkel thing you mentioned).

Intakes (upper & lower manifolds) can be port & polished for $550-$600 and give 15hp. They are different from heads; there is no "intake head".

Spark plugs do sh*t. And so does the rest of your "upgrades" - at least for performance (which is what the OP asked about). And it's tires not "tiers" (this is like the 5th time I've seen you write that).
tuneing would be a waist imo at stock lvl he'd be spending 200-300$ on a MAYBE 5hp gain.. and he'd just be burning extra gas witch would cost him even more in the long run until he got some more worth wile upgrades.
as i posted you could do that with new 20-80$ fillter.. except he'd GAIN mpg..
Tuning is the best low-cost option: you get ~20hp and the ability to take advantage of any future mods, too. And you can get tunes for fuel efficiency or power (and switch between them).

A filter will not help mpg but by like 1-2. Changing driving habits would have a greater effect.
what? injectors/spark plugs will do nothing 70 bucks could get you a cheap CAI from ebay.. or a little more for a name brand.. u get a few horses from it and it kinda sounds cool.. what do you mean cai are BS? are you thinking throttle bodies?
Ignore this idiot [tazmatic]. He went to the same school as jakksincorpse (?): Troll University. :shigrin

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Anyway, back to your question:
CAI: $80, 5-10hp
underdrive pulleys (UDPs): $200+, 10hp
exhaust: $250 (catback), 10hp
$600 (full system), 20-25hp
tuner: $400, 25+ hp (more with more mods)

Those are estimates, but it gives you an idea of where to start. :bigthumbsup Keep the questions coming (and head over to V6 Tech area) and we'll help ya out. :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
CAI add 5-10 hp. And I mean a CAI that goes through your engine wall into the fenderwell - not the FIPK or whatever thing from K&N (snorkel thing you mentioned).

Intakes (upper & lower manifolds) can be port & polished for $550-$600 and give 15hp. They are different from heads; there is no "intake head".

Spark plugs do sh*t. And so does the rest of your "upgrades" - at least for performance (which is what the OP asked about). And it's tires not "tiers" (this is like the 5th time I've seen you write that).

Tuning is the best low-cost option: you get ~20hp and the ability to take advantage of any future mods, too. And you can get tunes for fuel efficiency or power (and switch between them).

A filter will not help mpg but by like 1-2. Changing driving habits would have a greater effect.

Ignore this idiot [tazmatic]. He went to the same school as jakksincorpse (?): Troll University. :shigrin
lol haha :laugh:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
While they don't add power, gears will get you moving quicker. Combine that with either a cat-back or full exhaust system, cai, and tuner and you'll notice a nice little "seat of the pants" feeling increase.

Check out some older threads and the bolt on sticky ontop of the V6 page to get greater detail on popular bolt ons. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,161 Posts

Those are estimates, but it gives you an idea of where to start. :bigthumbsup Keep the questions coming (and head over to V6 Tech area) and we'll help ya out. :D
ur estimates are a little high.. real hp numbers are generally like 75% of the numbers you used.. and also remember that they dont all just add together some of them combine in different ways so its not as simple as adding the hp to your current power

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
ur estimates are a little high.. real hp numbers are generally like 75% of the numbers you used.. and also remember that they dont all just add together some of them combine in different ways so its not as simple as adding the hp to your current power
I did say they were just estimates... and I guess you could say my estimates are at the crank, so rwhp increases would ~75% then!! :laugh::happyhapp j/k, but yeah - just estimates... (I can get a little goofy sometimes. :shigrin)

Good point - they don't just add on top of each other. :bigthumbsup Don't wanna commit "ricer math" crime! :happyhapp :D

·
Registered
60 Posts

thats 1,530$.... didnt he say "money's a big deal"

200$ - cai - 5-10hp... rlly because aluminum dosn't hold heat better then plastic.. waitttt
its a new intake tube the air is only cold cause its snorkled and that IF its cool out thats an expensive 10hp.. and the stock intake already does that..

guess i learned that in troll school..

cause im the one calling names like a 5yr old. im just stating that in a V6 a 200$ name brand metal tube isnt worth the bang.
tuners are nice but as i said you WILL be burning more gas and at 200-300$ thats not worth it.
yes sparks don't do **** but when you get more stuff they compliment them very easy and they only cost 7-20$ wires 30-70$
and they add a nice look if you get cooler ones :gringreen

BUTTTTT if you got a grand and a half sitting around :bigthumbsup go for one or all three of these groups, they add solid gains all around without underpulling your car or waisting gas. great parts for a daily

go for these sets

exhaust
intake
Sparks
tire's (thanks for correcting me)
Cam
injectors
tuner
Gears
friction
tlok

:scratchchin

·
Registered
60 Posts
I did say they were just estimates... and I guess you could say my estimates are at the crank, so rwhp increases would ~75% then!! :laugh::happyhapp j/k, but yeah - just estimates... (I can get a little goofy sometimes. :shigrin)

Good point - they don't just add on top of each other. :bigthumbsup Don't wanna commit "ricer math" crime! :happyhapp :D
the things i could say to this.. cause im a troll amiright?? :happydance:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Every car is going to respond differently to different things. I would recommend starting out with a true dual exhaust, but it's all up to the amount of money you're willing to spend. I got my exhaust done at a shop for $350. Again, you will get more results with something like forced induction for thousands of bucks, but things like exhaust will be a "cheap" power adder.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
200$ - cai - 5-10hp... rlly because aluminum dosn't hold heat better then plastic.. waitttt
its a new intake tube the air is only cold cause its snorkled and that IF its cool out thats an expensive 10hp.. and the stock intake already does that..

yes sparks don't do **** but when you get more stuff they compliment them very easy and they only cost 7-20$ wires 30-70$
your price for spark plug wires are about right, but for spark plugs, thats about $7 EACH. not for all 6.

also, the stock intake has a bunch of unecessary twists and turns in it, and the tube is ribbed. a cai is a straight tube with smooth walls. therefore air will flow through much easier. and a you can get a good cai for $60-$70.

a tuner usually increases your mpg's. it may waste a little more gas when you've got your foot in it, but that's expected.

stock motors do not need upgraded spark plugs or injectors.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
thats 1,530$.... didnt he say "money's a big deal"
I didn't say he had to do them all at the same time. I just gave him prices and hp estimates for each so he could make his own decision.
Stock intake is ribbed, twists and turns, and is boxed in the engine bay - where it is very hot! Regardless the temp outside, I'm sure it will always be cooler than the engine bay. This is why good CAIs go into the fenderwell... and you can get AM CAI for only $80 (like I said).
guess i learned that in troll school..

cause im the one calling names like a 5yr old. im just stating that in a V6 a 200$ name brand metal tube isnt worth the bang.
I agreee: get the $80 from AM...
tuners are nice but as i said you WILL be burning more gas and at 200-300$ thats not worth it.
You want power = you burn more gas. Like I said, changing driving habits will have a better effect on mpg than tuning.
You will only need colder plugs if you are using forced induction. Otherwise, they are just good maintainence to replace...
BUTTTTT if you got a grand and a half sitting around :bigthumbsup go for one or all three of these groups, they add solid gains all around without underpulling your car or waisting gas. great parts for a daily

go for these sets

exhaust - can be expensive... (unless you just go catback)
intake
Sparks - don't do anything
tire's (thanks for correcting me) - these are expensive ($200/tire for good ones); and you usually want rims to go with them...
Cam - requires certain tools, engine work, and some skill
injectors - only really help with forced induction
tuner
Gears
friction - ???
tlok

:scratchchin
Your order for power upgrades should be (going by increasing cost/skill):
1) CAI
UDPs
tuner
2) gears/LSD (limited-slip differential)
full dual exhaust
H/C/I (headers, cam, intake manifolds)
3) forced induction (with fuel & ignition upgrades)
Of course, don't forget to upgrade your drivetrain, suspension, and brakes to handle all the power...

the things i could say to this.. cause im a troll amiright?? :happydance:
Go ahead, comment. I'll have a discussion with you.
Every car is going to respond differently to different things. I would recommend starting out with a true dual exhaust, but it's all up to the amount of money you're willing to spend. I got my exhaust done at a shop for $350. Again, you will get more results with something like forced induction for thousands of bucks, but things like exhaust will be a "cheap" power adder.
This is good input. :bigthumbsup
your price for spark plug wires are about right, but for spark plugs, thats about $7 EACH. not for all 6.

also, the stock intake has a bunch of unecessary twists and turns in it, and the tube is ribbed. a cai is a straight tube with smooth walls. therefore air will flow through much easier. and a you can get a good cai for $60-$70.

a tuner usually increases your mpg's. it may waste a little more gas when you've got your foot in it, but that's expected.

stock motors do not need upgraded spark plugs or injectors.
+1 :shigrin :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
G/E/T/T

Gears
Exhaust
T-lok
SCT Tuner

After that it gets expensive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status