Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know the first scheduled maintenance based on the manual is 10,000 miles.

But I read some where to do an oil change/tire rotation at 500 miles? If not 500, when should the first oil change/rotation occur? 3000? 5000? or stick to the 10K?

Thanks - if you havent noticed yet I am a newb to all these newer mechanics things! It was pretty cut and drive back in the days where oil was changed every 3-5K and and first service was always at 500 miles.

·
Registered
411 Posts

But I read some where to do an oil change/tire rotation at 500 miles? If not 500, when should the first oil change/rotation occur? 3000? 5000? or stick to the 10K?

Thanks - if you havent noticed yet I am a newb to all these newer mechanics things! It was pretty cut and drive back in the days where oil was changed every 3-5K and and first service was always at 500 miles.
I did mine first at 2000 miles and had the guy set the sticker for another 7500. I think 10k is too far in between changes even if thats what the manual says.

·
Registered
112 Posts
im sticking to every 5000 just to be safe. cant hurt if you change it to often. :gringreen:gringreen:gringreen:gringreen

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you guys rotate tires at 5K or 10K?

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
Rotate the tires when you can first tell the fronts' outer shoulder is rounding off compared to the rears'. Then adopt that mileage as the rotation interval. For most of us, that comes sometime past 5000, e.g., 7000. It's not necessary to hit it perfewctly regularly, either. Doing rotation at ALL means you'll be superior to almost every normal driver...

·
Registered
510 Posts
I will be doing my first oil and filter at 1000 despite the service center at my dealer assuring me 4k is the proper first intrval. After that I'm not sure yet- how accurate is the oil life indicator?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Had my first oil change at 3000 miles, to which the service advisor asked me why. He stated that I could've gone on that oil till 7500. I still had it done. I actually followed the Oil Life meter on that next batch, and lo and behold, just based on my driving, after about another 7500 miles, the meter said it had 30% life left.

As for tire rotation, I'm going to try and do it every 3-4000 miles. America's Tires has this policy that if you have service done there (had a nail puncture they patched), they'll inspect and rotate your tires for free.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Why would you need your first oil change done sooner than recommended or before the oil life indicator reads at a low percentage?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why would you need your first oil change done sooner than recommended or before the oil life indicator reads at a low percentage?
I think some, if not most people, including myself, still have belief in the antiquated idea that the first oil change should be done at or around 3000 miles, or in some case, much sooner. I think it still deals with the thought that you put all that money into a car, so you better take care of it.

And it may be flawed thinking, but better to err on the side of caution than to not change the oil and stress about it.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Well, I understand the old 3000 miles rules of thinking, but what's so special about the first one?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, I understand the old 3000 miles rules of thinking, but what's so special about the first one?
Someone can probably explain it better, but because it's a new engine, and the driver is "breaking it in", there are going to be slightly more foreign particles in that first batch of oil. I think there are people on this forum who have actually tested their oil for this, and have proven it true. Changing the oil at the 3000-mile interval gets rid of the unwanted particulate.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
^ Thanks! That makes sense.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Someone can probably explain it better, but because it's a new engine, and the driver is "breaking it in", there are going to be slightly more foreign particles in that first batch of oil. I think there are people on this forum who have actually tested their oil for this, and have proven it true. Changing the oil at the 3000-mile interval gets rid of the unwanted particulate.
It can also be argued that the little amount of particles that may appear are actually caught by the oil filter.

Also, Ford may be putting an additive into the oil from the factory to help the engine break in.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Did mine at 750 miles with full syn

let it get down to about 8-10% before i had the second one done. I'm at 15K miles now and have done the first one and now second one at around 9K miles.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Per my dealer service dept., whom I called especially to find out, the first recommended oil change is due at 4000 miles. I'm seriously considering doing one at 1000 but not sure if its necessary, at all.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You all sound like a bunch of pussies.

Is this what America has come to?

You may as well open a brand new can of oil and pour it straight down the drain.

If the engineer at Ford (whom probably went to a better engineering school than 95% of you) recommends changing it at 10k, CHANGE THE OIL AT 10K.

Oh no, i've driven my car 12 miles, time to change the oil in case my precious little Ford has filament in it!

...Wankers

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Say what? I'm draining my 5W-30, removing my axle-backs, CAI, and Husky floor liners so Ford won't void my warranty. :needahand:

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
You all sound like a bunch of pussies.

Is this what America has come to?

You may as well open a brand new can of oil and pour it straight down the drain.

If the engineer at Ford (whom probably went to a better engineering school than 95% of you) recommends changing it at 10k, CHANGE THE OIL AT 10K.

Oh no, i've driven my car 12 miles, time to change the oil in case my precious little Ford has filament in it!

...Wankers
Wow... Lol :laugh:

·
Registered
254 Posts
....so did "sum guy" in Watertown, Virginia!

But I read some where to do an oil change/tire rotation at 500 miles?
.......Golly! I read that too! It was October 1954 issue of POPULAR MECHANICS discussing the new '55 models.:yup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts