Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
8,695 Posts
Let the addiction begin. You now officially have a sickness and will find your self searching for your fix in the form of bolt on accessories! Have fun.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, yeah. I always heard it was like the worst drug on earth. One dose and you are addicted for life. It was in the 60s today so I know that probably effected traction but I can see my first set of mods are gonna be traction related before anything else.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Not a bad time for first time n stock car. Gotta get those launches down to get rid of the wheel spin.

Practice on this thought. .........if you were sitting at a light and saw something coming fast behind you and you have to get out of the way. If you just dump the clutch you will spin and will get hit from behind.

If you leave under a controlled launch you will get out of the way. This requires learning how to slip the clutch. Yes it can be done without ruining your clutch all together.

Check your tire pressure in rear. A little less that stock psi if on stock tires but not too low that you find yourself skating around down the track.

Good job though. Yep your new drug that's hard to get that monkey off your back! Haha.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'll have to try a slower launch next time and then lay into it. I was peddle happy and just way out of control. All I have on it is 18x10 Nittos so they are not the best for sticking I would say. Everything else is stock minus the Roush exhaust.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Practice, practice and practice. You well get better on the launch. The first 60 feet are the most important. Get some good drag radials and you will be amazed at the difference.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Yep, sticky tires and UPR lower control arms- you'll be in business! My car ran 12.20 @ 116.5 NA with just UPR suspension, UPR tuner, UPR ORX, and 275/40-18 Nitto NT05 street tires. That was feeding it plenty of RPMs, but slipping the clutch.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another thing sorta off this specific topic but the same general thing....I noticed I was only in 4th as I was crossing the line. Do you think it puts anymore excessive wear on the car to let it engine brake a little while you are slowing down or is it better to just roll up to 5th and brake more?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I couldn't see if you went into a water box and did a burn out...if you go through the water box, you wanna make sure to get ALL the water off your tires...that also will help with the slippage in the rear...BIG BIG BURNOUT! Warm up those tires!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I couldn't see if you went into a water box and did a burn out...if you go through the water box, you wanna make sure to get ALL the water off your tires...that also will help with the slippage in the rear...BIG BIG BURNOUT! Warm up those tires!

If you are on street tires not drag radials.........that's the worst thing you could do!

Over heating street tires only make them oily and you gon't go anywhere. Avoid the water box. Spin the tires just to get the debris off and then stage.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Nice MPH, get some sticky tires. Otherwise looking pretty good to me, better than most late model stangs at my track

·
Registered
280 Posts
I ran my first year on street tires with some bolt ons rwhp 385 best time I think was 12.5 and there were a lot of runs that were not fun at all - then put on hoosier bias plys quick time pros - drag wheels and improved the suspension - best time last year 11.72 at 425rwhp traction and suspension equals fun and good et

1 - 13 of 13 Posts