Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I havent ever drag raced on a track before. I need to know what my launching rpm should be, I drive a 06 gt mods are in signature. Tires are street Nexen all seasons. Also any other tips would help a lot.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Go to the Drag Racing section on this web site and read (Drag Racing 101) Also racing on street tires isn't the easiest way to start racing. Get some slicks or drag radials before you go to the track. Don't try to rotate the earth your first time at the track, make a few half passes to get used to the car, the tires. and the brakes on the track. Driving your car down the track is a rush so be forewarned. Be safe and have fun.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If your going to race with the stock tires: lower tire pressure to about 22lbs, when you pull up to the tree go around the water box, dry hop the tires....your doing this to remove any rocks or other stuff that is stuck to the tires. You don't want to do a smoky burnout....all your gonna do is heat up your tires/rubber and make them slippery. All you will do is spin the tires off the line. Now that you did a dry hop look for the groove in the race track. Look for where everyone else has been starting from....you will see the tire imprints/darker color.

Pull up to the tree in the groove and go slowly the 2 yellow staging lights will light up....one at a time. Once you have both yellow lights lit....wait for the lights to go down....

When the lights start counting down....under the stage lights leave on the 2nd BIG yellow light. By time you react the green light will have lit. If you are driving a manual in the 06 GT: bring the RPM gauge to 2500 RPM and when that 2nd BIG yellow light....lights up.....release the clutch let the tire bite then floor it....this all happens in about a second....after several runs you will get a feel for it!! Keep it floored and run through the gears and shift where you feel comfortable. You will go through the traps at the end of the track. Race Over!! Get your time slip and go faster next time....it's a great game and addictive!! Good Luck

Attachments

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
#1:
Driving on a track and driving on the street are two very different worlds. Keep that in mind, it won't be like on the street.

#2:
Do NOT lower tire pressure on radial street tires. Low pressure causes the steel bands to draw inward, which pulls the center of the tire surface off the asphalt... causing tire spin. Instead of a wide footprint, you'll be riding on the edge of the tire tread. Ever see tire marks that are dark on the outer edge and light in the middle? That's low tire pressure. The low pressure tactic works on bias ply tires, NOT radial tires.

Street radials are designed to give maximum performance at the recommended tire pressure.

#3:
Do NOT do any dry hops because your most traction will be used on your very first launch... you don't want to waste it before you get up to the line on a useless dry hop. That's the word from Goodyear at that, it's recommended after your burnout that you head right to the line.

By the way, I do have an NHRA Competition License so I do know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
#1:
Driving on a track and driving on the street are two very different worlds. Keep that in mind, it won't be like on the street.

#2:
Do NOT lower tire pressure on radial street tires. Low pressure causes the steel bands to draw inward, which pulls the center of the tire surface off the asphalt... causing tire spin. Instead of a wide footprint, you'll be riding on the edge of the tire tread. Ever see tire marks that are dark on the outer edge and light in the middle? That's low tire pressure. The low pressure tactic works on bias ply tires, NOT radial tires.

Street radials are designed to give maximum performance at the recommended tire pressure.

#3:
Do NOT do any dry hops because your most traction will be used on your very first launch... you don't want to waste it before you get up to the line on a useless dry hop. That's the word from Goodyear at that, it's recommended after your burnout that you head right to the line.

By the way, I do have an NHRA Competition License so I do know what I'm talking about.
Don't dry hop, but do a burn out? :?:

I am no licensed drag racer, but doing a burnout is just wasting your street tires. My trials showed no change in 60ft times.

Dry hop, meh, it's pretty darn hard on the driveline, 50/50 if you really need to do this one in my opinion. The guys behind you might thank you if anything for not leaving crap on the launch pad.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been doing the dry hop +low tire pressure for over 20 years....it a proven technique.

As far as dry hopping the tires....if you have no debris stuck to the tires your not accomplishing anything....if there is debris, you just cleaned if off.
As far as lowering the tire pressure....it works! You will get a better bite off the line. If you take to much pressure out it could effect the tire, that's why I said 22lbs. If you over inflate the tire your launching/riding on the center of the tire which is bad.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hey I havent ever drag raced on a track before. I need to know what my launching rpm should be, I drive a 06 gt mods are in signature. Tires are street Nexen all seasons. Also any other tips would help a lot.
Thanks
Are you thinking of going to Race City this summer? You didn't mention if you have a stick or auto. With a stick, at the light hold your revs at about 2500 before launch. Then as said, when the 3rd yellow comes on launch away. Your first few runs will be lousy. You'll be distracted and miss launching at the right time, you'll forget to watch the tach to time your shifts, etc.

The very right hand lane is for the really fast, not street legal cars.

Don't expect times much under 14. Calgary is 3500 ft elevation which reduces power a lot.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Any tips for launching an automatic and burnouts?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Any tips for launching an automatic and burnouts?
To do a burn out just hold the brake and give it gas. Make sure that the OD is turned off for both burn out and drag strip. If on street tire the burn out will make your tires greesy, been there done that and don't sugest it. For lauching, hold the foot brake and give it gas until you feel the car load up (trying to move) should be around 2100 RPMs. When the last yellow lights release the brake then floor it. If you floor it then let go of the brakes you will spin your tire out of the hole and blow your run. Good luck and have fun.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
Make that drive WAY around the water box if on 4 street tires. There will be enough water dragged to the line by dimwits who use a drag tire on the rear, yet drive through the water on wide front tires so they can launch in their own wet tracks.

Good street tire drag times require patience and stoicism. You will spin on some passes, causing swearing and 2.4 second 60-fts. Only way to settle the tire pressure issue is to experiment for yourself - and report back to us.

No disagreement on turning off traction control. Suggest making a small removable sticker like pilots use that says "Traction Control OFF?" Coming up through the staging lanes gives you plenty of chances to turn the car off and on, each time erasing your turning off the traction control again.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
okay thanks. first run I'll run with regular tire pressure and i wont do any burnout. second i will try with lower pressure
Thanks

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Best advice I can give is just have fun and dont worry about ET's ,RT's or anything else, just relax and enjoy :yup:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Best advice I can give is just have fun and dont worry about ET's ,RT's or anything else, just relax and enjoy :yup:
:dito:

Have fun.....you will learn naturally!

Post time slips!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts