Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I went down and raced with the younger crowd at the local quarter mile strip 6-8 which then turned into the local big boys after 8. I had a ton of fun bracket racing with the younger guys and actually came in second :bigthumbsup Only issue I had was I broke out hard on the last run with my best run of the night which was a 15.03.

The thing that was driving me UP THE WALL was that I could NOT hook up. I resorted to launching at <2k rpm and feathered off the line and still just watched my 60 ft times spin away. I was working on my technique all night but I was starting to get pissed and it had MAJOR affects on my times and it made me consider that maybe the problem wasn't COMPLETELY with the driver :winks

I was running on stock 16s with factory rubber.. from factory 35k ago.. I'm feeling like that may be my main problem but I also think I need a posi. I wasn't doing burnouts and I was staying out of the water. Any suggestions on getting the car to hook up? Thanks in advance and I'll try to upload my best timeslip in the morning.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In my experience, stock suspension and street tires don't equate to "hook up"
Your better off slipping the clutch to get your roll on, then short shift first and let the torque work for you. Staying out of the water box IS the best thing you could have been doing.
Have you looked up what what your car should run in the quarter?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I agree with EightEleven. I had the same issue going down the strip last month, along with some wheel hop. A fellow racer suggested I upgrade my lower control arms, and then get some drag radials.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
at a MINIMUM you need drag radials, better yet new rear suspension pieces...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my experience, stock suspension and street tires don't equate to "hook up"
Your better off slipping the clutch to get your roll on, then short shift first and let the torque work for you. Staying out of the water box IS the best thing you could have been doing.
Have you looked up what what your car should run in the quarter?
I guess I might have to stick with just taking off easy :( Rolling off slow I would tend to run a pretty consistent 15.2 to 15.3.

I think I'm running about average for what a v6 with my mods should. I feel like I could shave off some considerable time from just my launch though. I really want to accomplish my times on street tires so I can drive to the strip and back. I really just want to break into the 14s consistently.

I was running right at the top of my 3rd gear at the end of the quarter. Do you guys hit your 4th at the strip? I've had 3.73s with posi on my mind for more than a few months now and that's one of the factors I'm considering. I don't want my time to drop of because of a gear change I'm forced to make RIGHT before the end of my run.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
once any tire is half wore, the traction is gone. new rubber grabs like crazy. of course all that other stuff helps, but even then, not much if your tires are shot :)

getting on the strip is a real blast. fun stuff :gringreen

·
Registered
550 Posts
I recently went for the first time myself and had the same problem. I do have 20's on my car though hee hee. Not the best for racing but I didn't build my car for the track. I made about 5 runs and the best I could pull in the 1/4 mile was a 14.025 @102.9. I learned that the launch is everything. Everything from late jump to spinning, just couldn't get off the line clean.

If you plan on building your car for the track then suspension and tires are a must. Otherwise just have fun trying to lower your current times :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recently went for the first time myself and had the same problem. I do have 20's on my car though hee hee. Not the best for racing but I didn't build my car for the track. I made about 5 runs and the best I could pull in the 1/4 mile was a 14.025 @102.9. I learned that the launch is everything. Everything from late jump to spinning, just couldn't get off the line clean.

If you plan on building your car for the track then suspension and tires are a must. Otherwise just have fun trying to lower your current times :bigthumbsup
That's pretty good! :bigthumbsup Especially for having heavy 20s. I want to make the car perform better and keep improving at the track until I can hit mid to high 14s. I think I may invest in a posi unit and some grippier tires, but I'm not going to specialize the car or something. Going back down this week and I'm going to take of the front sway bar and shed a little weight to see where that gets me. Maybe lower my rear tire pressure a little too.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Look under the back of your car. See everything around the axle. Take it all off and replace it with anything power coated or billet and you will gain almost .5 second :bigthumbsup

B
0 Posts
once any tire is half wore, the traction is gone. new rubber grabs like crazy. of course all that other stuff helps, but even then, not much if your tires are shot :)

getting on the strip is a real blast. fun stuff :gringreen
Not exaclty. Most race teams actually shave their tires to reduce tread squirm and a little weight (some tires, depending on which auto sport, will loss more than others). It actually provides for a more predictable tire that actually lasts longer...but then again, most guys running the 1320 have slicks or at least a drag radial (which have almost no tread depth and usually get better as they continue to wear).

Good luck next time out OP!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not exaclty. Most race teams actually shave their tires to reduce tread squirm and a little weight (some tires, depending on which auto sport, will loss more than others). It actually provides for a more predictable tire that actually lasts longer...but then again, most guys running the 1320 have slicks or at least a drag radial (which have almost no tread depth and usually get better as they continue to wear).

Good luck next time out OP!
I believe by tread half gone, he meant that the tire has been in the elements for long enough that the rubber just isnt what it used to be and wont get the proper grip

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look under the back of your car. See everything around the axle. Take it all off and replace it with anything power coated or billet and you will gain almost .5 second :bigthumbsup
Haha this cracked me up. Thanks.

And yeah to the guys talking about rubber I'm pretty sure a new set wouldn't hurt lol.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
. . . to the guys talking about rubber I'm pretty sure a new set wouldn't hurt lol.
a new set of the same tires probably won't help -- remember for ultimate dry traction, slicks are the best; it is all about contact area; slicks have no tread so they have 100% contact area . . . usually as street tires wear you actually get slightly more contact area because the tread is tapered (wider toward the bottom) . . . tread is mainly for wet traction, so the water has somewhere to go

if you are spinnning just one wheel off the line, then I think a posi rear end would be the biggest first improvement -- it will basically double your traction; I don' think any of the other mods mentioned will do that

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a new set of the same tires probably won't help -- remember for ultimate dry traction, slicks are the best; it is all about contact area; slicks have no tread so they have 100% contact area . . . usually as street tires wear you actually get slightly more contact area because the tread is tapered (wider toward the bottom) . . . tread is mainly for wet traction, so the water has somewhere to go

if you are spinnning just one wheel off the line, then I think a posi rear end would be the biggest first improvement -- it will basically double your traction; I don' think any of the other mods mentioned will do that
Yeah whenever I get new rubber I'm probably going with 235/60s. Honestly my grandma's subaru has wider tires than my Mustang stock. That's just wrong. They look like spares haha. I'm really leaning towards a posi though.. just need to find a deal/ determine whether I want 3.73s or not.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Why not think about 295-315 size tires and not 235 size skinnys. Find some nice staggered 10" wide rims that match your fronts. And put some meat in the back.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why not think about 295-315 size tires and not 235 size skinnys. Find some nice staggered 10" wide rims that match your fronts. And put some meat in the back.:bigthumbsup
Haha well I have Saleen 18x9s with 275s that I refuse to run because the wheels weigh in at 32 lbs each.

Maybe I should send off my 16s to get widened. . . :scratch chin

If only I could find 16" rubber big enough for a 16x9. My dream is to just run 15s. I like the look and the performance enhancement. I know there are only a couple of brands that fit though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't have any proof to back this up, but I bet the 275's would more than make up with traction what the 18" rims lose with weight. Consider it this way: with your 235's on 16" rims you have to launch soft or suffer wheel spin. That means you have more torque than your skinny tires can handle. That means you have enough torque to spare some to get a heavier wheel set spinning, and you get the benefit of additional traction to boot. Don't know unless you try.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Tonight I went down and raced with the younger crowd at the local quarter mile strip ... The thing that was driving me UP THE WALL was that I could NOT hook up. ... Any suggestions on getting the car to hook up?
Upgraded control arms, stickier tires, and a limited slip if you don't already have one.

Here are the control arms I'm using on my car. They work well.

2005-2010 Ford Mustang GT V6 Chrome Moly Street Upper & Lower Control Arm Package - UPR Products

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't have any proof to back this up, but I bet the 275's would more than make up with traction what the 18" rims lose with weight. Consider it this way: with your 235's on 16" rims you have to launch soft or suffer wheel spin. That means you have more torque than your skinny tires can handle. That means you have enough torque to spare some to get a heavier wheel set spinning, and you get the benefit of additional traction to boot. Don't know unless you try.
You have a good point, but they're really heavy. Like.. REALLY heavy. And it's noticeable daily driving. They take SO much longer to get up to speed.

I weighed my stock wheels at about 18 lbs a piece (no tires) and those Saleens weigh 32 lbs a pop. Together thats 28lbs of rotational mass from just 2 wheels. With bigger tires easily over 30 lbs added which is a pretty big deal.

Maybe I'll just pour orange gatorade over my stockies and make them stickier.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 25 Posts