Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im taking my 99 cobra to the track friday and its my first time and was wondering what would be a good launch rpm and where to shift and any estimates of what I might run, thanks

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
you running drag radials or slicks? If it's just the radials, you can launch around 3000 and shift at the redline...as hot as it is in AZ this time of the year you'll be lucky to break 14

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the nitto 555's and that's what I was afraid of. Would a cold air intake make any noticeable difference?

·
Registered
147 Posts
it will make a little difference in your 1/4 time. but not a substantial amount. of course every HP makes some difference. If this is your first time at the strip,I would say 14.20-14.80 Depending on your launch and shifting abilities.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I'm by no means a drag racing expert. I've been to the track a few times and have learned a few things. Get there early and let your car cool (ice on the manifold aint bad either). Air up the front tires above the norm to reduce rolling weight. Don't fill the tank before going (1/4 will be fine). Remove all non essentials like spare, jack, speaker box, tool box etc. On street tires you need to leave on the last light before the green. BLINK BLINK GO! GREEN. You will cut a decent light and not redlight. Have fun man!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips, im pretty decent at shifting so im hoping to do ok. My whole shop is goin and one of my supervisors has a n 05 gt with a programmer, think I have a chance?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I think you should beat him if he is fairly stock. 320 vs. 315 right? Isn't the 05 around a hundred and a half heavier? Are you a fat boy or about his size? It's a driver's race. Most this close are won and lost on the line (first 60 feet). Tree him or a least don't go up in smoke and you should give him a go. We want an update when you get back.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely I will. His is all stock other than the programmer and he replaced the mufflers with just pipe. I jus have the BBK 65mm t/b, h&r springs, short throw and a stage 2 clutch and i weigh only 165 he's probably around 190

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
it will make a little difference in your 1/4 time. but not a substantial amount. of course every HP makes some difference. If this is your first time at the strip,I would say 14.20-14.80 Depending on your launch and shifting abilities.
14.80 out of a 99 Cobra?? Motor Trend got 13.9/103 stock in the Dec 98 issue:yup:

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Due to the heat here, that's why i waiting till fall to hit the track. +1 about going early to let it cool down. I usually let it sit for about 2 hours before i go to the lanes. I know my 05GT stock i ran a 13.9. If it just has a tuner and mufflers, if he can drive, he might run a 13.8. Tuner and CAI makes a good difference though. Could be a drivers race or you might edge him out close to the traps.

·
Registered
147 Posts
14.80 out of a 99 Cobra?? Motor Trend got 13.9/103 stock in the Dec 98 issue:yup:
Brutal, he said it was his first time. and I also said 14.20-14.80. I ran 5 tenths slower than what my car was tested at. not tryin to bust his chops,just don't want to get his hopes up for a mid 13 pass.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
yeah and talk about Brutal, the heat in AZ is unreal in the summer, I used to live out there...120 in the day, 100 at night...ZERO o2 in the air for racing.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Yup this isn't the time of year for us Southern guys to do dragstrip runs, I'm looking forward to hitting Bradenton this fall for Sat morning test and tunes, shooting for a 125+ trap:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya im not setting my hopes to high I jus hope there's a few other cars out there near my time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well bad news the track is closed for awhile I guess there time system is messed up

1 - 16 of 16 Posts