Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to wash my Mustang today and to my dismay there was what looked like a key scratch or maybe a shopping cart scratch on the rear passenger side of my car.. I already have some touch up paint (Windveil blue). I took some pictures of the scratch. Was wondering what technique I should use to attempt a repair? Otherwise I'll cry everytime I see it. I read something about Quixx Repair System, and consumer reports said it worked the best.. Anyway let me know and thanks!

Pictures:
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/636/p1010030uf2.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/857/p1010031zy2.jpg

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
there are some quick fixes out there but the only true way to fix it is to sand down the entire door and repaint it. Granted i cant see how bad the scratch is because my on a military computer and they have image shack blocked but you might be able to take it to a body shop and have them fill it and then use touch up paint and then wet sand it smooth.

but like i said i cant see how bad the scratch is.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cost about $370 bucks to get that fixed.

I have an estimate in my car, apparently a tiny scratch in the passenger door bothered the previous owner so bad he traded it in for a 'vette with only 2000 miles on it. He tried to touch it up but did a horrible job and smeared it a tad. Not really noticable unless you get really close to the car and stare.

After all the labor to sand out and paint that body panel, and for materials, it will end up being in the mid $300 range. It's about 3.5 hours of labor.

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
How deep is it? IF you can brush you finger across it and not feel anything, it might just be a bad smudge.

First and always grab some wax/polish and use some eblow grease.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Donny...before you do anything...call your local DentWizard (or another Paintless Dent Repair shop)...they will know who in the your local area repairs scratches for dealerships...believe me, I've seen the results of these guys and they do a fantastic shop...they actually smooth out the area, spray it with your paint, buff it, etc. (keeping it localized)...a lot better than having your enitre panel painted out. And you will be hard pressed to find the scratch.

Try that first...call around. I know they have these guys in my area (Southeast Virginia)...there must be someone who does it in your area.

Here's an example of one in the Dallas-Fort Worth area...

Dallas/Fort Worth Auto Bumper Repair - Mobile Paint Scratch Repair - dallas automotive services - backpage.com

or this...

First Impression Auto Care

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
How deep is it? IF you can brush you finger across it and not feel anything, it might just be a bad smudge.

First and always grab some wax/polish and use some eblow grease.
+1... If the scratch is only in the clearcoat, it can usually be buffed out.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I get scratches liek that all the time.

Mequiers Scratch X usually takes car of them, followed by a top coating of wax. A couple remain lightly visible, but are mostly un-noticable unless you know it's there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.