Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple hood scratches and a couple little chips from road work in the area. I would like to repair them myslef but a little nervous too. Some are clear coat scratches, a couple chips to the metal. I have a Performance White color.

Who has had good experience in fixing these and what products and procedures did you use?

·
Registered
211 Posts
For the scratches try polishing rubbing compound or any scratch remover you can buy at an autozone. For paint chips, you can repair em but unless your a professional you will still see where the chip was at in different angles.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
you can stop by a dealer and get the touch up paint, comes in a little shaker bottle with a brush( looks like a fingernail polish set up)around 10.00. its good for touching up little chip spots, better than leaving bare metal spots. you can try a few coats and play with the edges to build it up alittle, but you will always see the spots, but still better than nothing untill your ready to have panels re painted :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah I have actual experience. I just fixed a nickel sized rust bubble this weekend. It was on the front lip of my hood (how it happened I don't know... I blame Obama). But, I challenge anyone to find it now. Plus, my Stang is black, probably the hardest color to keep looking good.

First start with a good wash and wax. I only use Mother's products and stick with their instructions and methods. I think it has made a difference from just haphazardly using whatever might be on sale. But, don't get silly about it. If you find a product that works, use it. For example, I used Turtle Waxes Black Box (a system specifically for black cars) this month and it was awesome.

Then go after the small nicks with a paint pen. They have both a ball point and a brush. Make sure you get the proper color code for your make and model. Hit the nick with some scratch remover, then the paint. The ball point will fill in the majority of nicks through capillary action. Put a piece of masking tape next to it so you don't lose where it was. Let it dry, then hit with the scratch remover. The secret about scratch remover is time and elbow grease. You can get 75% of nicks to disappear entirely. You will need to rewax any part that got scratch remover on it.

You can get clear coat pens too. I don't recommend them for small nicks, only bigger jobs, i.e. 2mm or bigger. If the scratch is just in the clear coat and not in the paint, most can be fixed by lots of scratch remover and good waxing.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Buy the Duplicolor Scratch Fix 2in1 and the paint to go along with it Dupli-Color. This is the whole set with clear coat, paint, primer, everything

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.