Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago there was a post with Florida unmarked Police S197's. Too lazy to look it up...

I'm a firefighter/EMT and am thinking about some well hidden strobes and maybe a siren for those 'half awake' 'fast' drives to the station...

Any sugestions on brands? Install ideas?

What (colors, sounds, etc.) is legal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
dont know about Ohio's laws (car 4511 where are you?):laughlitt but in oklahoma (unless you are a "state recognized authorized emergency vehicle") it is illegal to run forward facing red or blue lights,(even the little hood windshield washer thingy lights that ricers like):winks or flashing white lights such as a headlight kit. if you want the most awesome look, you've gotta go with Whelen LEDs. strobes suck. period. i would put a small led in front of your rear view, a couple behind the grille, maybe even experiment with some in the lower valence, and definately get a relay for the headlights. if you can get into the headlight lenses (which i dont think you can without breaking something):sosad: put in some corner led flashers. mount two 8 inch leds on your rear headliner (if your back glass is tinted, that will be awesome since no one will see them till you hit them.) and of course, every emergency vehicle has to have rear tailight and reverse light flashers. as far as sirens, either Federal Code 3 or Whelen makes a good one. kinda depends on what you want as far as pitch and other options. sound box is pretty much a sound box. being a fireman, you should have a Galls catalog or something of the like laying around the station. pick one up and skim through... leds are alot more expensive, but they are 1000 times brighter, quieter, and all around better. (last longer too) you can also try www.galls.com there are other places to get them, that one just came to mind first. dont waste your time (or $$$) on directionals either. they are a pain in the a$$ and dont last very long. also too big and definately not hidden. (my last one kept causing RF interference with my radar and radio too, no target readings on radar and dispatch couldnt read me on radio when it was installed) (even with the power off):eyebulge:

like i said, its illegal in OK, and i would guess most states. in OK you can have amber or green lights, but no red and blue as you are driving down the road. would be awesome for show though. post pics if you do it KJ. (or better yet a vid) I too have had some thought about that....:cool:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
EDIT: KJ, you know what would really look kicka$$ on your stang??? relay your headlights to flash like i said, then do the same with the fogs, and have the headlights and fogs alternate each other. that would be downright awesome looking. and relays are cheap. you better definately post a vid of that!!!:eyepoppin

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
My neighbor who was on a volunteer dept. put wig wags on his and a removeable blue light for the dash and a blue strobe for the back as well. I highly doubt a cop would ever pull him over for hurrying to a call. Besides, what firefighter would not be speeding while running to a call???

I would love top get myself a mirt though!:laughlitt I doubt it could be detected very easily.
http://www.themirt.com/

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not planning on too much... maybe just the headlights, a strobe/LED in each corner, and maybe some red in the grill, if there is room with the aftercooler radiator and laser shifters...??

I'm going down to the local dealer/installer today to get some info and a price idea... we have a guy doing installs for beer at the station...

Any thoughts on switch location? Guess I need acouple one for the lights, and one two position (reg + hi-lo) for the siren...??

·
Registered
88 Posts
I really don't think I would want to drive my GT with "emergency lights" flashing and a siren sounding through traffic expecting everyone else to get out of the way unless the agency I worked for would foot the bill for the insurance just in case I had an accident. Not a good idea. It's been my experience that "volunteer" people have little or no training on emergency vehicle operations or the liability issues involved.

·
Registered
394 Posts
HazMat, where for 'art thou?

I guess it's been a while since we stirred things up. Man, if he gets wind of this we are through!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
kj_cinci said:
I'm not planning on too much... maybe just the headlights, a strobe/LED in each corner, and maybe some red in the grill

Any thoughts on switch location? Guess I need acouple one for the lights, and one two position (reg + hi-lo) for the siren...??
id stick with the headlights (and the fogs:winks ), corner strobes, and maybe an LED or two in the grille. i would mount my switches inside the console b/c switches are ugly. also, i wouldnt really jack with a siren box. just run lights. sirens are useless most of the time, especially when your running above 50 to 60 mph. by the time someone hears your siren, youre already passing them. i use mine to clear intersections (that annoying phaser siren works great for that) but beyond that.... run silent code 3 to 95% of my calls. i am in a rural area too though, big city driving will need more advanced warning to drivers.

PS - KJ, believe it or not, you can get to a call a lot faster with no lights and siren. trust me. every moron on the road will see your lights, freak out, and pull right in front of you. or you get behind that 500 year old man in the new lincoln who sees you in his rearview and gets a "deer in the headlights" look as he stares at you blankly, shocked of seeing lights to the point where he cant even think to get out of your way. (or overreacts and crashes) (have had it happen to me a number of times) i run alot without any lights or sirens except for my rear decklights. just so when i pass people hauling balls, they all know i am on a call, and not just some "cop who is speeding cause he can.":tongue

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good replies guys, thanks!

I got some red/white LEDs mounted today, one behind the poney above the rear view mirror and the other one high, center, in the back. They are both pretty much stealth from the outside when off... Right now I have pulled the wiring into the center console box where I have a Y-adapter for the cig-elec sockets. Just plug in and go...

We MUST have at least one red and one white fwd and aft. The Ohio law also calls for a siren to go with ANY emg lights!

I'm still to get at least the siren then to be legal, won't need it much here in my sleepy town.

Then I'm not sure if I want corner strobes or just the alternating headlights relay... that would then be hooked up to one switch with the allready installed LED's attached as well...

I'm thinking black rocker switches (2 position for the light and three for the siren) below the A/C controls, the spot under the emg brake is taken by the heated seat switches...

Sugestions on strobes or alternating headlights? A siren system?

Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Be the talk of the town! Are you tired of being uncool with those white headlights? Don't think the blue ones are unique enough? Yellow have you scared? KaleCoAuto Redhead Headlights are especially popular with law enforcement! Flash your lights at them, and they are sure to stop by and say hello!

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
toolttime said:
Be the talk of the town! Are you tired of being uncool with those white headlights? Don't think the blue ones are unique enough? Yellow have you scared? KaleCoAuto Redhead Headlights are especially popular with law enforcement! Flash your lights at them, and they are sure to stop by and say hello!
Hey, could put those in the fogs with a alternating relay and only use them for fire/squad responds... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
if you run your fogsand head lights when you flash your high beams .the fogs turn off if ya do it fast looks like you got strobes .takes a few times to get the timing right but moves people out of the way.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Uhh... I'd trip trying that...

If you have the relay you'll need two do do the head lights and fogs...

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Sure would look cool going down the track at night.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts