Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking of buying one from summit..
do they just bolt right onto where your oem fan went??
its not electrical, just hooking up to the water pump.
thanks

·
Registered
355 Posts
i dont think they do...you need some little tie things to hold it on

to be honest get one from a junk yard off like a 4 cyl or 6cyl car (big round jeep ones are great)..its cheaper then a new one

hell mines off a geo prizm

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i was on the site, and they didnt recommend a mount or anything..
darn, i just bought it, oh well, ill get it on there somehow

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
The fan itself should bolt right to the water pump pulley. There are spacers available but I don't think you need it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
sorry i misread stuff i though you were goin with an electric...yes it should bolt right up no prob

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay, thats waht i was thinking..
it looked so similiar..
thanks again MJ and fast five..
i just bought a crazy amount of mods for my stang today..
i heart payday:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
335 Posts
I don't know.
When I first bought my car it had a water pump driven Flex-A-Lite fan. It needed about a 3" spacer for it to fit nicely in the factory fan shroud (which it did). The car did run nice and cool pretty much all of the time.
HOWEVER - I firmly believe that it took quite a bit of horsepower for the engine to drive that fan, especially at high rpm. I believe part of the design is for the blades to actually flatten out as the fan RPMs increase. But, you first have to turn it that fast.
I switched to the Black Magic electric fan. Car always runs in the 180 - 190 temp range, but I never worry about parasitic drag from the fan.
Seems to me that the factory fan is pretty good since it has a clutch and doesn't drag much at all at high RPMs when it isn't needed. Compare that to a Flex-A-Lite water pump mounted fan that always spins whenever the water pump spins.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have the flex a lite fan on my 90 GT and I think that it probably does rob some power from the engine due to drag but it has always kept the engine cool and it sure beats having one of the factory plastic blades shoot through the radiator again. The only downfall that does bother me sometimes is the wooshing sound that it generates.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I bought one for my 90 gt but I took it off a week later cause of how loud it was that was just me I wanted to hear the exaust instead of the fan blades. Oh and I bought the spacer that it was recomened to come with idk if it will fit without it.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I tried one and it was good for slicing fingers. Yes, it needs a spacer to get it to draw the vacuum through the radiator and shroud. If it's too far away from the shroud, it won't create the negative pressure and the air would go around the radiator instead of through it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.