Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to place my order in the morning so i might have it by the weekend for a little project. Im going to be ordering...

March Underdrive Pulleys
New fan shroud and brackets
H-pipe cross over
Derale Alumn Flex Fan

I just need to know if i am suppose to run any type of clutch with this type of fan. Any help would be greatly appreciated for ide like to order everything all at once. Thank you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Flex fans usualy don't use a clutch. The fan blades will flatten out at higher engine speeds to reduce drag on the engine. If you're using a clutch now, make sure you replace it with a spacer to keep the fan close to the radiator.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok that what i needed to know. Thank you very much. I will order my goodies and report back when they arive and i install them for a report.:smilie

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hybrid- Yes, i did get a spacer to keep the fan in its present location.

Ok so all the parts should be here by Friday, according to JEGS. So ill put everything on all at once and finally install that windage tray as well. Hopefully ill get some type of increase in performance. We'll have to wait and see...

·
Registered
376 Posts
The advantage of a flex fan is that you don't need a fan clutch and it doesn't waste too much energy at high RPM. If you already have a fan clutch I'd keep it and use a standard fan (although a flex fan should still work well I suppose) the clutch is a more efficient setup than no clutch and you'd probably be better off keeping it.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I agree -

The advantage of a flex fan is that you don't need a fan clutch and it doesn't waste too much energy at high RPM. If you already have a fan clutch I'd keep it and use a standard fan (although a flex fan should still work well I suppose) the clutch is a more efficient setup than no clutch and you'd probably be better off keeping it.
I don't really like flex fans - I have seen hoods where several came apart at highway speeds - not pretty.

You can get a Hayden clutch fan that looks like it came on the car and is more efficient. I could not get a pic to load today - check them out here -
Hayden - Fan Clutches and Fan Blades

And......... if you still insist on installing a flex fan, please use gloves when putting it on so you don't slice your hands.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah, i always wear gloves, for everything. Even my professional mechanic buddy makes fun of me but i dont care. The reason im going with teh flex fan is that i do want the lighter load and hoping to free up any extra power i can. It was that or an electric fan but i dont want to have to replace teh whole charging system to do so or have extra wires junking up the bay. Its not at all needed. This car gets driven MAYBE once a month and for not very long. Either way, it kiieps plenty cool out here in the 120+ degree Az heat.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok can someone run this by me again....How does the flex fan work? Cause i just pulled it out of the box and it seems really stiff. I mean i cant even "flex" or bend a blade with my hands. Am i missing the idea or something?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.