Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 5.0 mustang, and ever since i bought the car the check engine light has flickered only in cold weather. I drive my car in the winter and it flickers like crazy, but in the spring, summer, fall It disapears completely, it wont even show itself for a half a year. This has comfused me, i know its not an 02 sensor because i get close to 30mpg on the highway, so the fuel mileage is good.

i havent scanned the codes, but i was trying to figure out how to fix it without spending money on getting it scanned. If i cant figure it out... i will obviously have to scan it..

Anybody have any ideas....?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
You can scan it with nothing more than a piece of wire. Look at the illustration on this page: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/445.shtml

All you need is the jumper wire between SIG RTN and STI. You then turn the key to run, and the "check engine" light will flash out the 2 digit codes, a single flash will separate the equipment faults from the stored faults(which occured during operation).
Then you start the engine and it will spit out the engine running codes.
11s are good, all the way through.
The 2 digit codes are probably immediatly available through a google search.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I decided to spend the money and buy a EEC IV code scanner, it was only $49 Candian
I scanned the ole 5.0 and code 31 popped up, appears to me my EGR Valve Position Sensor (EVP) is below minimum voltage.

Probably going into the Ford dealership tomorrow and seeing what a new one is worth.

Should fix it...... it better, this thing has been flickering like a christmas tree since i bought it 22,000KM's ago, cant wait till i dont have to see it anymore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.