Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowmaster American Thunder- Single to Duals

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  n3zer 
#1 ·
Hi,
I recently added a Flowmaster American Thunder single axle back exhaust to my 2007 V-6 Mustang. I am really enjoying the new exhaust, howevever, I am not that excited about the amount of the body of the exhaust system that shows past the bottom of the V-6 rear bumper. I am considering purchasing a GT rear bumper and going duals with the American Thunders. Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase the driver's side cat back to go along with the one that I already had installed? I know that they sell a GT kit that has both as part of the package, but I don't need two. Can another single axle back kit be purchased and converted to use on the driver's side? As usual I greatly appreciate any feedback I can get on this. Thanks!! :gringreen

#3 ·
I think we're all anxiously awaiting an answer from someone who has converted the single exhaust, v6 to a dual. I'm getting ready to change the stock single and would love some input about converting to a dual!!!!

Good luck to us all ;)

#4 ·
I'll answer this question in stages, since its not a simple answer..

You can convert the v6 to dual exhaust. You'll need to have the Y pipe cut off and an H or X pipe installed, as well as have a custom over-axle pipe bent for the drivers side. You'll also need a set of hangers for the drivers side muffler.

As far as the muffler goes the simple answer is no. You can't buy a driver side muffler for it because the GT American Thunders have bigger exhaust tips than the v6 ones. You'd have one 3" tip and one 3 1/2" one.

#10 ·
I'll answer this question in stages, since its not a simple answer..

You can convert the v6 to dual exhaust. You'll need to have the Y pipe cut off and an H or X pipe installed, as well as have a custom over-axle pipe bent for the drivers side. You'll also need a set of hangers for the drivers side muffler.

As far as the muffler goes the simple answer is no. You can't buy a driver side muffler for it because the GT American Thunders have bigger exhaust tips than the v6 ones. You'd have one 3" tip and one 3 1/2" one.
I will agree with the first part of this post but will have to disagree with the rest. I could be wrong but I'm pretty confident I'm not. First off, the American Thunder exhausts are different from any other setup whether it be the 40 series or any other model. That being said, if you have one American Thunder muffler, the other side should still be the same. They both have 4 inch tips, not the 3 or 3 1/2 mentioned above.

Flowmaster American Thunder Back Half Kits: FLO-17410 - summitracing.com

This is the website I got mine from. They are the cheapest and you can try contacting them to see if you can get just the driver side.

If you want a raspier higher pitched sound go with an x-pipe. If you want a deeper toned sound, h is the way to go. The decision is yours. Good luck:bigthumbsup

#5 ·
Black05Pony,
Thanks for the response. Thats exactly what I needed to know. Looks like I will be looking for new duals soon!!
Thanks again!

#6 ·
Pypes has good deals on true duals with X pipe and either mid mufflers (no muffler by the rear bumper) or with dual street pros. You can hear clips on youtube.

Pypes can be bought from all the usual suspects.

I run the street pro axle backs and like them but you're looking for their true dual system to convert a sixer

#7 ·
wally05 ran a Pypes X pipe and over axle pipes with a set of GT American Thunder axle backs and it was the meanest sounding 4.0L S.O.B. i've ever heard. If I go duals, thats exactly what i'll do.

... In case you're looking for ideas... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.