Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off... This was done without jacking the car up or putting it on a lift. YOu experience may be a little differnt if you choose to do any of the above.

First look at the Flowmasters out of the Box, I was impressed with their construction. The tips looked very nice, and the caseing was very strong, quality welds, and overall looked like a good piece.

First I removed the factory Muffler. Driver's side was easy, taking about 10 Minutes. I used a 13mm Scoket with 6" extension to remove the side hanger bolt, and then a 13mm box end to remove the bolt blocked by the muffler. Then I loosened to bolts on the hanger close to the axle to allow some wiggle room. Next was just lossening the clamp on the factory muffler... wiggled the muffler and out it came.

Passenger side was a litte more difficult, requiring the arm to bend in ways that was not natural, but I ended up removing both hangers. Then the clamp on the muffler was loosend to drop out the muffler. This is where i think your experience may be different if you were not laying on the ground. BUt hey... nothing like shadetree-ing it to the max right.

So, heres the first tip...the exhauist hangers will line up with the bolt holes in wither poistion, so mark or note which way they face... They hole movesa slightly which will make positioning the muffler correctly impossible. I didn't and it probably cost me atleast 30minutes in test fitting time.

Next... the aftermarket mufflers are bigger and heavier. I can't really tell you the specific order I put it all back together, but (2nd Tip) attach loosely at first. The added size of the flowmasters made gettign to most of the hanger bolts a bear, and could only be reached with the 13mm Box wrench.

The Drivers side, I attached the hangers to the muffler and crawled underneat the car with the muffler resting on my chest, From here I was able to slip the muffler onto the stock pipes, then finger thread all the bolts to get them started... from there it was a matter of working the wrench around to get them all tight. Becareful to make sure you keep the muffler completely up on the factory pipe. The guide pin on the factory pipes should be bottomed out on the mufflers slot. The factory pipe allows some wiggle. So, after you got the hanger just tight enought that the muffler only moves them if you really push on it, check the location of the tip in the rear bumper slot to ensure centerness, adjust hangers as neede and tighten.

On the passenger side.. Attach the rear hanger to the car first. The bottom hange bolt is blocked by the muffler body, but agina... leave it loose. YOu will still be able to reach it with a wrench later, but wont be enough room to put the bolt in place and get it started later. Attach the front hanger to the muffler in correct position. Slide the muffler into the rear hanger, then up onto the facotry pipe. Now, attache the rear hanger bolts loosly... snug everythign up.... check position... make adjustments as needed. Tighen everything up.

Now, you can start you car and check out your new sound!:cool:

For my results. Sound and looks are subjective. The 4" tips with a straighter cut and rolled edge looke awesome. The sound with the Flowmasters is classic Mustang with FLowmaster sound, just hushed a little bit. It is definately not "loud" but louder than stock with a meaner growl. I experienced no drone at any RPM under Load or cruise. Though, as a comparison, this flowmaster system is not as loud as the American Thunder I had on my LT1 Z28.

Overall, I am pleased. Took me about 3 hours to install... but some time was my fault for just jumping in and not marking how the hangers were located.

I would buy the flowmasters again if I had the opportunity for a do over, and the power increase was not very noticeable, but there is a little mor oomph in the 1-2 shift (noticed a little more tire spin).

First mod... Want more :(

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Nice write up! A few pics would have made it perfect!!
Im getting antsy in ordering these. Trying to hold out til after winter.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Goodwrite up, thanks. I'll be putting mine on next week when I get my car.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
That's great... I had roughly the same experience removing my stock mufflers. That passenger-side wasn't fun (especially doing it w/o jackstands). Install was easy for me (SLP Loudmouth) since the straight-through pipes are small and gave me lots of room to maneuver between the exhaust and the car. I'm starting to wish I'd gone with something a bit quieter. The SLPs are extremely loud and there's quite a drone above 2500 RPM. I'll learn to live with 'the sound of freedom'.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys, I do not own a Digital caera, just a camera Phone.

I figure there will be enough people doing this in the future that someone else will get the pics after reading my write up.

I figure this write up was more to help save time than to give instructions. Its not a hard job, just requires a little bit of muscle and a patients.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That's funny. I found the driver side, front, vertical hanger bolt the hardest to undo - then again I'm left handed.

I had SLP Loudmouths installed but the Mrs. didn't like em and I had to take em off and put back the stock ones :sosad:

I'm thinking about getting Flowmasters.

Where's the cheapeast place to get em?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, the install is pretty easy, did mine in the driveway.

fedex delivered at about 4:00, testing them out by 5:00:laughlitt

As too the cheapest, got mine from jegs.com.
Ordered on wednesday, got them on friday

They are 275.99, no shipping, but a 9.99 handling charge

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got mine thru Summit Racing.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Got mine through Summit as well. Got them in 4 days in Germany for $275 and $39 USPS Priority Insured.

·
Registered
867 Posts
A little secret - you CAN remove the old mufflers and install the new ones without removing the front hanger - the one you need rubber arms to remove. With slight effort the muffler has clearance to slide rearward out of that hanger. I found out the hard way - and I also installed the brackets backwards - First I installed loudmouths - then put the stock back on - then installed the Flowmasters all in the course of a week.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Do you know the model of the Flowmasters you are using. The guy at Summit didn;t know anything

·
Registered
41 Posts
Same question as sandyman...

·
Registered
633 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, uh yea... after trading in the 05 on an 06 I got the chance again and didn;t use flowmaster. Incase anyone finds this thread in the future, the Flows sounded very Tinny with Long Tubes. This time around I used Borla and the installation was much easier.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Kyle F said:
So, uh yea... after trading in the 05 on an 06 I got the chance again and didn;t use flowmaster. Incase anyone finds this thread in the future, the Flows sounded very Tinny with Long Tubes. This time around I used Borla and the installation was much easier.
I wondered who dug this old thing up. Agree with Kyle. Flowmasters with stock manifolds and midpipe are fine. Add long tubes and it really changes the sound. Mine are now sitting back in their box in my garage (which is rapidly becoming a used auto parts store :D ).

·
Registered
633 Posts
Funny where we are a year later. I got my car two weeks after this thread started and a tunless CAI and the Flows is all I was going to do to the car. LOL...How stupid of me... :bounce2: O.K., so a year later and pretty much a completely different car :smilie I agree witht the Flows and LTs. Not liking it. I'm picking up a set of Borla's from a guy and should be getting shipped to me next week. Can't wait, I hear the sound is great.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Awww why do you guys hate on the LM's? They sound pretty damn good to me. Especially with the new CAI and the H-pipe comes in a few weeks. I think wayne could attest to the sound of my car. You can get the drone away, you just have to drive faster. :)

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
moose_knuckle said:
Awww why do you guys hate on the LM's? They sound pretty damn good to me. Especially with the new CAI and the H-pipe comes in a few weeks. I think wayne could attest to the sound of my car. You can get the drone away, you just have to drive faster. :)
LMs are great. Just not so much with LTs. With everything else stock, I think they're the best sounding axleback.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts