Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a 2011 Mustang GT and the first thing I did (without really reading into it enough) was bought and installed a pair of Flowmaster Hushpowers. After about a month I really can't stand the constant drone around 2,000 rpm (and neither can my neighbors car, sets off the alarm every morning right when the needle hits 2k rpm). After reading through numerous threads and forums, seems like I should've gone with the GT500's. Is there anyway to get rid or minimize this drone at 2k??? I removed the gray foam from the inside of the firewall (didn't help). I'm thinking of maybe some additional resonators? (I don't want to restrict any HP) Or will it just be cheaper to buy the GT500's and try to sell these Hushpowers... What do you think???

·
Banned
1,507 Posts
Sucks to be you! Don't know what you'll do with the flowmasters, but I can tell you you'll love the GT500s. Just the right amount of growl. Quiet when you want it to be and just a db shy of loud when you want it to be! Awesome idle rumble!

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Welcome to the site, Do like I do, turn up the tunes and you wont hear a thing :gringreen:gringreen

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
just dynomat the trunk. a lot of ppl who dont like "drone" do this. I call ppl that think flows give drone panzies and so do alot of cruisers. It's supposed too its why you by flows cuz we like the sound.
n for your neighbors screw em i bet they mow their yards super early in the am and for the car alarms i would say they have them set to sensitive.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually love mine, and the drone at the 2K mark....
Don't get me wrong. I love the sound of them... just not anywhere between 1500 - 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I removed the gray foam from the inside of the firewall (didn't help). What do you think???
Why did you think removing the gray piece of foam from the sound tube would help with exhaust drone?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have the Hushpowers with an off-road x-pipe and had a drone at 2k when I first put them on but now about 2k miles later it's not nearly as bad as it was. I think some of it is the mufflers breaking in and also I found later on that one of the brackets holding the muffler hangers was loose. Tightened that up and it fixed a rattle and took away some of the drone.

I never really hated the drone though. I like hearing my exhaust, which is why I changed out my mufflers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
One thing is for certain..if you don't like them now, you are not going to like them next year either. Sell them, get the GT 500s or another manufacturer and enjoy the car. No sense in driving around that span of rpm's because you don't like the drone..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why did you think removing the gray piece of foam from the sound tube would help with exhaust drone?
I read somewhere that the sound tube was running on the same frequency of the exhaust (or something like that) and removing the sound tube or its foam will cancel that out. All it did was make the engine noise louder at full throttle, which sounds pretty awesome too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've heard the GT500s and the borla s-type and they both sound great without the drone issue.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
644 Posts
I still don't get the "Hushpowers drone" complaints. I've had 'em on my 6-speed GT for months (since the car was 2 days old/20 miles on it!), and had to purposefully lug it up a hill in 4th at 1800 to get what I consider to be a miniscule resonance. It's certainly not enough to affect conversation, music, whatever in the car. Hell, after installing them, the interior was so quiet I was disappointed!
I also had the American Thunder axle-back on for a while, and even that barely registered to me, and my family.
If the Hushpower sound is too much, you really might consider putting the stockers back on- or the GT500's, which are also quiet, because they're OE mufflers, and subject to the federal law regarding how loud new cars can be (80db for ALL noise from the vehicle).

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
A guy with an auto calls the people who don't like poorly engineered axlebacks "panzies"!? That's a new one.

just dynomat the trunk. a lot of ppl who dont like "drone" do this. I call ppl that think flows give drone panzies and so do alot of cruisers. It's supposed too its why you by flows cuz we like the sound.
n for your neighbors screw em i bet they mow their yards super early in the am and for the car alarms i would say they have them set to sensitive.

·
Registered
270 Posts
A guy with an auto calls the people who don't like poorly engineered axlebacks "panzies"!? That's a new one.
Because having a manual transmission car makes you a superior alpha male.

I missed the memo apparently...

Not that the person calling someone a panzy should be in the first place, but your statement isn't any better/possibly worse.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I can't hear mine below 2000 rpm. I used to drum in a band...maybe my hearing is shot. After removing the stock resonators and cats my exhaust improved on the loudness side and I can still talk on my phone when cruising.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Your words, not mine. I'd actually say: Having a manual makes you a driver, having an auto makes you a rider. Different choices for different people and needs. No need to be upset...

Because having a manual transmission car makes you a superior alpha male.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Your words, not mine. I'd actually say: Having a manual makes you a driver, having an auto makes you a rider. Different choices for different people and needs. No need to be upset...
Thanks for clearing this all up for us , no need to rattle your saber, we get it :gringreen

·
Registered
164 Posts
I love my Flowmasters! There is drone but I just shift around it :gringreen...... But honestly the only time I think about it is if I’m stuck around 60-65 mph in 6th gear.... The speed limit here in AZ is 65mph on the freeway so I cruise around 70-75 and no problem at all!

They are so clean and deep sounding the minor inconvenience is small…..

I’ve never heard Borla's in person but I dont like the raspy sound the videos have on the internet….. Now if Boral wants to provide me a set of trial axlebacks I will be more than happy to give my opinion:heha:.

But everything aside, I have yet to hear another 2011 GT in person that sounds nearly as good and clean as mine.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Here is a video I just made because im bored. I do a 0-80 pull around 1:15 into the video. This is the first time I've recorded what my car sounds like and I now know what everyone means when they say video does it no justice!

I had my phone in my truck so you here the Styrofoam from the spare kit making noise but you get the idea!

YouTube - ‪2011 GT (5.0) X-Pipe, 3'' Exhaust, Flowmaster AT.mov‬‏

1 - 20 of 26 Posts